Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 05:22 PM
Veteran

Anik G1 has NOT been launched. The launch will be in early 2012 (Q1) and will be operational for Shaw by Q3, which is 13 months away.

Correction: Launch in first half of 2012, operational in second half.
http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroo....html?d=221232
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 05:26 PM
QCK

That report says it will be launched in the second half of 2012:

Anik G1 satellite, which Telesat anticipates will be launched in the second half of 2012.
post #213 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Yes it does, sorry. Nimiq 6 will launch in the first half of 2012.

Essentially we are looking at Q4 2012 being the earliest date G1 will be operational. Q1 2013 is more likely.

post #214 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 05:41 PM

I actually wondered why i missed the launch, I requested some 75cm dishes through the company that subs me, a couple weeks ago and the responce was: no 75cm anymore for n.b. and he went on to write what i posted earlier.
send me a p.m. if you want the name of the firm...there big... so I took it as the gospil! but struggled as to why this was the first i heard of it.
i should have dug deeper before reposting.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #215 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 11:23 AM

I think part of the issues with the new PVR is it has no cooling assist. All it gets is the air movement around the box. The new PVR im getting from cable is only 2x the size and has a cooling fan... For those people that have been playing for computers for years have seen the similar issues when a vid card overheats or the computer overheats. That would also enplane why i never seen any of my issues in the winters for the first few hours of the day as the heat was shut off all night so the system cooled down
post #216 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 03:46 PM
Veteran

Personally I don't think heat is a serious problem. A laptop cooler and lot's of ventilation space did not eliminate problems. The 630's I have are warm but not hot, partly since the power supply is external.
post #217 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 06:29 PM
QCK

+1 ^^^^^ I agree, the heat level is very reasonable for these receivers.
post #218 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 11:24 AM

Them why would my receiver run perfectly in the cooler mornings of winter before the heat turned on in the house? All the little glitches were 100% gone for the first few hours. My receiver was never shut down eater. I defiantly think heat it a issue. Just because the outside of the box is not hot dosent mean 1 or 2 components are not hotter than the rest. Just sitting idle were the hd is the area is much hotter than any of my computers run. And it would just get hotter during a recording. not to mention the components under and around... Not trying to start a argument just my opinion
post #219 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 03:47 PM
QCK

Maybe there is an issue with your receiver, there is none with any of mine...
post #220 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 04:18 PM

Ahhh to late now... digital cable is now installed and man what a difference. the color is so bright and crisp its like night and day... I did notice when i pulled out the shaw receiver has a very very tiny fan on the bottom under the HD. Piss poor place for it if you ask me thats where all the dist and dirt will get sucked up in.
post #221 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 09:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installer View Post
the new satellite has already been launched and the new triple lnb is being tested in some areas, this will be a simple swap and the dish does not need to be readjusted.
the 630 has it's problems but i've never seen pixalation, i actually lost all sound this am and ended unpluging my t.v. for sec then it was fixed.
Like QCK, I can't believe that the satellite has been launched. And how will the triple LNB improve things? Won't it simply allow more independent receiver connections? If that satellite was in place there'd be no problem in providing the HD version of Setanta - the fact that the HD version is not available confirms the point that Shaw has run out of capacity.

A service rep has actually seen the pixelation. Normally you might expect some of that during poor weather situations, but we're seeing it randomly under all conditions. Signal strengths are all close to 100%, so that's not the problem. It doesn't seem to be as bad now as it was soon after the initial installation was commissioned, but it's still there. I can't seem to get too much response out of Shaw, but I've asked them to provide a new 630PVR to see if that cures the problems. And the sound is getting to be a real problem - sometimes when there are pauses in conversations the background noise increases to the point where it sounds like you're standing in the middle of busy highway. That noise diminishes when conversation restarts then returns during the pauses.
post #222 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 12:34 PM

Thumbs down IS SHAW TECH DEPT SLEEPING? crackle and pop sounds on HLN

Some years ago on CNN Headline News channel(HLN channel 502) I kept on hearing some crackling and pop sounds but only once every hour or so, or every 30,10 or 5 minutes. I thought there was something wrong with my new Starchoice reciever as I just became a new customer and kept on phoning their 800 number and emailed them to explain the problem. They sent out a service technician and I showed him a video recording of all the many times the crackling pop sounds occurred. After he changed the LNB thinking that was causing the problem it made no difference. Then after emailing the tech department many more times THEY FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT by finally taking some time to observe this channel long enough at their department to discover that they or other were responsible for making these sounds due to a certain part at their end and that every customer and reciever was hearing the same pops every hour but most didnt pay attention to it except for me.

OK, fast forward a number of years and guess what? The crackling and pops came back only on HLN again. Actually it was happening once in a while at first a year ago, then every hour or so and now every 30 seconds,minute or 5, 10 mintues, sometimes every 2,5 or 10 seconds when it gets frantic, or sometimes it may not happen for an hour or so. I never emailed them once this time yet as a test to find out how long it will it take them to FINALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT all on their own like it should be. I mean just out of curiousity I want to find out to what extent this popping problem will continue to esculate. Will it esculate to once every second and is that the time that they'll finally fix it? I mean are they sleeping or something? As of now the pops sometimes happen every 5,10,30 seconds or minute or 5, 20 minutes or hour and if they are hearing this also then why don't they fix it again? Why are they so careless when we customers are paying the bill if they are in fact hearing it and do nothing about it?....and now for the second time again.
post #223 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 01:05 PM

Thumbs down

The crackling and pop sounds became quite frantic the past 20 mintues on HLN at every 1,2,5,10,30 seconds. WTF? I really want to see how much this sound problem will esculate before they finally do something about it thats why i'm not emailing them because it gets worse with time. Maby they might finally fix it when it pops and crackles 10 times per second or something. Like I said, WTF?
post #224 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 01:50 PM
Veteran

To be fair, the best way to get the ball rolling is to contact them. That is how things get fixed. The uplink manages every channel, and they are not going to continuously monitor HLN unless they have a reason to, such as a compliant.
I seem to recall you once posting about video dropouts on CNN, and your compliants eventually led to a component at the uplink being replaced.
The time you took to post here, which will yield you no positive result, could have been used to send an email...
post #225 of 655 (permalink) Old 2011-05-26, 01:02 PM

Thumbs down

Yup,that was me a few years ago, and I did email Starchoice and they did fix the problem. But im just curious as to how long it will take another customer to get annoyed by these pops and make a complaint or for Shaw themselves to discover it again. I mean I cant be the only one watching this channel(as I play videogames since I have 2 tvs). The popping and crackling got worse the past year and im in a way looking forward in hearing how bad this problem will continue to grow as it gets worse with every passing year until someone finally complains about it. Does the popping and crackling have to occur 10 times a second before someone gets annoyed by it other than me. HF(holy f).

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in