Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 12:31 AM

As far as I know, no Multiswitch that works with Bell Satellite is going to work with Shaw Direct Satellite. Can't you bypass it for now to get 4 lines working straight through to some of your receivers at least?

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 07:07 AM
Rookie

I actually thought of that but I have four cables going in and 4 out, I am afraid I would link the wrong ones and burn somthing out. I also have no idea how I would link them as they are both the same kind of ends on each and I would need some kind of adapter in between each end
post #183 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 07:31 AM

Just go to the Source (and pay too much) or go to KW Surplus on Victoria Street and get 4 female/female cable connectors @ .99 each. It doesn't matter which cable in is hooked to which cable in the house.

How this amateur installer got on SD's list is something that Calgary should look into very closely. "Gee, I need to do an install with more than 4 tuners - let's make sure I don't bring a multiswitch"

post #184 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 07:53 AM
Veteran

Exactly. SD really needs to vet their installers more thoroughly.

And ae_collector is right that Bell and SD multiswitches are not interchangeable.

You can get the female-to-female coupler at places like Rona and Home Depot as well. That will at least get you up and watching tv for now and when your multiswitch comes in from SD the job can be finished properly. Hopefully the same installer doesn't show up again.
post #185 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 09:33 AM
Rookie

Thanks everyone, I'm going to give the bypass a go. I have two receivers and one PVR but if I can just get ONE to work, I'll be happy until Saturday. My DVD's are getting kind of stale..and I missed House this week
post #186 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 02:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
He said that installers don't carry them on their truck and it would take a week to ship. He did say I could purchase one at Future Shop the next day and likely install it ourself and all would be hunky dory.
The installer should not leave until verifying that the TV functions. It shouldn't take that long to dowmload channels. They should have sent the installer back right away.

I don't believe that Future Shop, etc. ever carried multi-switches.

Normally, if a multi-switch is required, they will ship it to the customer and arrange installation once the switch arrives.
post #187 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 08:03 PM

Doesn't sound as though Pivot needs a multiswitch anyway. Three receivers with one of them being a PVR = 4 in and 4 out. The Bell multiswitch must have just been left there from the previous system. Get 4 of the female/female connectors and you're done.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #188 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 06:48 AM

ae collector is right. You don't even need a multiswitch. Join all the cables with female to female connectors...after that one cable goes to each of your receivers and 2 go to the PVR.
It doesn't matter which is which.
post #189 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 07:01 AM
Rookie

I was able to get the TV in the kitchen to work with using the coupler. It's only a standard digital receiver in there. The other two TV's have HD, one with a PVR and one with just an HD receiver. I have not been able to get those up and running, I tried a variety of connections with no luck. Yes the multi-switch was needed when I had Bell, although I'm not sure why. Bell said any more than 2 receivers required them to put in a multi-switch. At least I was able to watch Canada AM this morning before I left for work and hopefully I have all 3 up and running when the installer comes back tomorrow. Thanks again everyone, I LOVE this forum!
post #190 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 07:09 AM

The lack of Canadian productivity always gets lots of headlines in the business sections of major newspapers. I'm not just picking on Shaw for this one, but Pivot's hassle is a prime example of the lack of thinking that goes on in the upper echelons of Canadian business.

This inevitably leads to higher costs and justifiably annoyed customers. First of all a company like Shaw has to acknowledge to itself that there will be a high turnover in low paying jobs - in this case CSRs, TSRs and subbed out installers.

A proper formal ongoing "Best Practices" program at Shaw would have resulted in the following occurring as soon as the first call was made by Pivot since the installer left without verifying proper reception

A) Sincere apology
B) Automatic sendout of another installer a.s.a.p.
C) 1 months free programming
D) Automatic withholding of payment to first contractor

There should have been NO talk by any Shaw employee about Pivot going ANYWHERE to purchase any additional hardware, (Everyone on this forum knows that 4 tuners with a nonstacked dish needs no external multiswitch and that Big Box stores do not sell 22khz switches).

Additionally from the initial call, it should be apparent that the installer used existing Bell lines and did not install any lines himself (nice easy job). How much would it cost Shaw to actually produce a field install manual for all situations and dish type/sizes? Hey sub it out to someone on this forum - for $2 to $3k, I and probably 50 others here are totally capable and would enjoy some Christmas cash.

But you know Shaw will do nothing, and this will repeat over and over. Why - because as is the case in most Canadian companies they will say "Hey our competitors are worse" and then pat themselves on the back. Yes Canadians do work harder, just not as smart as international competitors.

I'm not washed up yet
post #191 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 09:41 AM

The Shaw dish has a multiswitch integrated in the lnb on the dish, you only need an external multiswitch IF you exceed 4 receiver feeds in the house.
post #192 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 10:43 AM
Rookie

Yes, I know now that a multi-switch is not required. But I would have thought the installer would have discovered I had one seeing as he disconnected all my Bell receivers and saw the Bell dish on my roof! I don't proclaim to be a wizard at satellite stuff, I just want to turn on my TV's and watch the programs.
post #193 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 08:28 PM

yeah definite installer boner
post #194 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Feed Switch

I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem. Recently while watching a show (House in this case) when they perform the feed switch from Fox to Global I lose the audio portion of the feed and have to change channels to get the audio back. Also the picture portion of the feed freezes for periods of time. This happens on both network channels. It also happened a week ago during NCIS. I have not called customer support yet.
post #195 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 01:06 PM

I recorded (630 PVR) then watched House (HD) last night & there was audio dropouts every couple seconds for about 15 minutes of the recording (very annoying).
Later the picture and audio froze for about 4 minutes.
I assumed this was strictly a 630 issue.

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in