Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-03, 02:34 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseigel View Post
what is lnb??
In simple terms it is what grabs the signal from your satellite dish, converts it and sends it to your receiver:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-noise_block_converter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 03:58 PM
Veteran

Cheaping out on Discount

I have been requesting bpm:tv for some time. I also have the 530 and I know that many people are getting discounts on their bills because of issues. I was getting a $5 discount/monthly for a year. When the year was up, they said they would renew it for a further three months. Now they no longer want to renew it. After further complaining, they agreed to a further $3/month discount for 12 months. I don't see any point to nickel and dime a customer nickel and dime. I guess they think they won and saved the company $24/year. Telus is looking better each day.
post #168 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 05:30 PM

So....you're complaining that Shaw has discounted/will discount you $111? Seriously?

post #169 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 05:38 PM
Veteran

Not exactly, I'm complaining that they are reluctant to continue the previously agreed upon discount when the focus of the original complaint was never rectified.
post #170 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 05:45 PM
Veteran

I think you should just be happy that you are receiving any compensation for a channel that was never carried in the first place.
If it had been carried, then dropped I would agree with you.
post #171 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 05:46 PM

o.k....but did they ever say it would continue past one year? I have yet to hear of a company giving a discount per month for more than a year. And if your experience is so bad...then why not look elsewhere? If you go to a restaurant once and have a bad experience then that can be a one off....if you continue to go back and have a bad experience each time then why continue to go?

Last edited by Kartan; 2010-11-21 at 06:03 PM. Reason: grammar
post #172 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 09:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ77 View Post
I think you should just be happy that you are receiving any compensation for a channel that was never carried in the first place.
If it had been carried, then dropped I would agree with you.
Realistically, both scenarios apply since they are guilty of both.
post #173 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 09:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartan View Post
o.k....but did they ever say it would continue past one year? I have yet to hear of a company giving a discount per month for more than a year. And if your experience is so bad...then why not look elsewhere? If you go to a restaurant once and have a bad experience then that can be a one off....if you continue to go back and have a bad experience each time then why continue to go?
Good point but not really a valid comparison. I have a bit of an investment with them in terms of equipment.
post #174 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-27, 08:22 PM
Rookie

Install from hell…

I originally ordered Shaw Direct back in June of this year, I arranged the install for a Saturday, waited the whole day for the tech, he was a no-show, not even a call… I cancelled the whole transaction.
Fast-forward to Nov, I decided to give it another try. I ordered my HDDSR 605 online two weeks ago, install was scheduled for last Saturday. There was a dish already on my townhouse, but needed a switch to correct a weak signal & allow HD channels to come through, this took another full day. He installed the switch, I was in the garage, he didn’t talk to me & promptly left… I turned it on, and nothing, no signal. This started a full week of phone tag with both Shaw & the install company (Solo cable out of Brantford) resulting in two no-shows by the installer, the latest excuse I got today was the van broke down… yeah right!!

Shaw has been as helpful as they can, but sadly, they seem to be at the mercy of the installer… I cant believe such an incompetent company is awarded a contract to install online orders. Anyway… I had to find another company to come fix the problem myself, Shaw’s hands were tied, they are a local Shaw/Bell satellite dealer/installer, Shaw says they will reimburse all costs to fix the problem if I fax them the invoice.

I guess the moral of this story is if you can purchase your system from a local seller/installer, do so!! The $10 I saved for doing it online was not worth all my wasted time!!

I’m wondering what I can do about this contract installer… how can I make my complaints heard?
post #175 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-27, 10:27 PM

I dunno-if you have a "troubleshooter/consumer advocate" person on TV
(say, a local person and a local station) call 'em up and let 'em know. Make
a stink anyway you can. Tell your friends and family about this installer/company. The way it may work is this-one person gets good customer service, he/she might tell two people, but if he/she gets bad service, he/she will tell up to 10 people. If you can find out the head of this company's address, an EECB might work (that's Email Executive Carpet Bomb)-be polite, though, and document everything. You'd be surprised what may happen when
Company "G" doesn't want its name and reputation dragged through the mud

who knows, maybe even the Better Business Bureau may help??

GOod luck

JB
post #176 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-28, 04:54 AM

Quote:
I guess the moral of this story is if you can purchase your system from a local seller/installer, do so!!
I agree wholeheartedly the local guy cares about his business and will do more to keep customers happy than a corporation and its staff.
post #177 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-28, 09:44 AM

As verified by someone here, switching to Ontario Value package, you encounter some increases in your bill monthly so the aggregate effect is you creep back to your original pricing.

Shame on Shaw Direct for reneging on its pledge to provide free HD sports (TSN and Sportsnet) and the reasoning for the charges, 'exorbitant rates from these channels' is a load of crock. In the interim, Shaw Direct was enjoying record profits. Customers seem to be always lost in the shuffle.

A search has not located the new "Free HD" or not so free to launch in 2011.

Anyone have an update on this outfit?

Otherwise, its OTA and Netflix and web viewing for me.
post #178 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-11-28, 09:45 AM

or a pick your channels option like Videotron in Quebec offers.

I remember signing on with Look Communications in 1998 as they offered that.

Paying for channels you want to watch? What a unique concept.
post #179 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-01, 02:47 PM
Rookie

No warm and fuzzy for Shaw so far

Because we were paying Bell over 400.00 a month for our various services, we decided to change everthing Bell. After some research I decided to go with Shaw Direct (mainly for prices). Last Saturday was our long awaited hookup day. The installer showed up an hour late ( he did call tho) and spent about two hours installing the dish, receivers etc.

Once he was finished, I didn't have any channels except channel 299, the dreaded fireplace channel. He told me that the uploads were taking some time but I should have stations in about an hour. Then he left, this was about 5:00 Saturday night. At 7:00 we still had no stations so I called customer service and waited on hold, and waited on hold and waited on hold I finally gave up in frustration at 8:45, still without talking to anyone. I then called back and used there handy call back feature thinking I would never get a call back, but they did call me in about 20 minutes. The CSR then gave me some steps to go through and told me rather than me having to call back, she would call me back in a half hour. I waited an hour...no one called. So once again I called Shaw and asked how many minutes are in their half hour because apparently it is different than mine. Anyway after talking to the new CSR for several minutes he determined that the problem was that I had a Bell multi-switch and that was messing up our signal. He said that installers don't carry them on their truck and it would take a week to ship. He did say I could purchase one at Future Shop the next day and likely install it ourself and all would be hunky dory. Shaw would credit my account for 89.99 and if I got one cheaper than that..bonus, if it was more than that, well 'sucks to be me'. He then said that he would call me back at around 6 the next evening to make sure everything was working.

I went the next day to Future Shop, Best Buy and the Source, but had no luck getting this multi-switch. I waited for Shaw to call me back at 6 that night as promised.....no call.

At 8 I called them again (I'm a little hostile at this point). I have already poured out 677.00 bucks for equipment and now I have no TV at all. This NEW CSR tells me that the multi-switch isn't the problem and that it being Bell shouldn't matter (hello, is there two different manuals with two entirely different processes). So here I wait until next Saturday until I have TV.

Yeah, I'll get right on recommending Shaw to anyone.
post #180 of 651 (permalink) Old 2010-12-01, 06:59 PM
Rookie

Pivot, sorry to hear about your problems. I think your experience is the exception rather than the rule. Bell however has been a nightmare in terms of their phone service. I have been a Star Choice/Shaw Direct customer for ten years and perhaps with the exception of the first year when long waits on the phone were common, service has always been very good. Hopefully they will resolve your issue in a timely manner. CB

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in