Home Away From Home Program - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #196 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 04:10 PM

Was just advised by the retailer I install for that Shaw has completely restricted the sale of XKU LNB's without a new installation/ account effective June 1st. FYI

Last edited by 57; 2013-06-11 at 05:16 PM. Reason: UQR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 04:19 PM

Oh, I'm well aware. The district managers will be looking at in-house activations versus order dishes and leaving almost no wiggle room. There's a massive issue with Bell techs taking Shaw equipment and selling it on Kijiji and the likes - which has made this even more difficult for retailers.

If I could give some advice, it would be to only service on-file equipment at the service call / work order location. It's come to my attention that a few people have caught wind of this issue after having their homes switched over to xKu, and have since brought dishes back from the cottage and whatnot, asking for a technician to go service it for whatever reason.

At this point, Shaw is saying that any unauthorized work could possibly be grounds for dismissal of a technician. If you think a person is trying to cheat the system (even if it's an in-house service call), report it to your dispatcher or Shaw. It'll save you a lot of hassle in the end, as I'm sure you know escalations can kick a person when they're down.

Last edited by 57; 2013-06-11 at 05:16 PM. Reason: UQR
post #198 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
I imagine they just realized they were giving away a location for free...and then some bean-counter figured; "hey, let's charge for the second dish, which in no way will cause any of our subs to contemplate switching to cable or Bell. I'd be surprised how SD will show a profit from this decision, but you never know. If I had HAFH, I'd just switch to cable
It's worse than that. Shaw Direct is supposed to pay the wholesale rate for all the channels for both addresses. So it's costing them extra every month.
Quote:
ACCOUNT STACKING

15.2 If a licensee is required to pay a wholesale rate for a Canadian programming service that it provides to a single subscriber at two or more separate dwellings or other premises that are owned or occupied by the same subscriber, the licensee shall remit the wholesale rate to the Canadian programming undertaking for each dwelling or other premises served.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-455.htm

post #199 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 09:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Shaw has completely restricted the sale of XKU LNB's without a new installation/ account effective June 1st. FYI
Its funny you mention that. My good friend who owns a local electronic store was telling me yesterday that while he was putting in a fairly massive stock order, his Shaw D rep was trying to pull that same thing with him, and he proceeded to tell his rep that since the start he has sold extra accessories be it spare dish's LNB's remotes, ect,ect and has absolutely no intention of stopping now, and if they wanted to push the issue he would simply drop Shaw D and become Bell exclusive. needless to say they still took his order.
post #200 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 09:19 PM

we are headed in that direction too
post #201 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-12, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackloz View Post
Its funny you mention that. My good friend who owns a local electronic store was telling me yesterday that while he was putting in a fairly massive stock order, his Shaw D rep was trying to pull that same thing with him, and he proceeded to tell his rep that since the start he has sold extra accessories be it spare dish's LNB's remotes, ect,ect and has absolutely no intention of stopping now, and if they wanted to push the issue he would simply drop Shaw D and become Bell exclusive. needless to say they still took his order.
They will take his orders, but they will still investigate and question him as to why he's doing what he's doing. There's a few reasons why Shaw wouldn't care if he drops them for Bell exclusivity, but I don't want to sound like an arse here.

Tell your friend that if he keeps up that attitude, he might as well drop Shaw before they drop him.
post #202 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-12, 07:03 PM
Veteran

There is lots of Shaw dealers in town so from Shaws point of view I don't think it would matter much. Other then electronics they deal in Bell,Shaw D and Access(Cable) for at least the last 2 years Bell has been buttering them up to be Bell exclusive. I'm sure he will ride it out for now.
post #203 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 05:36 PM
Veteran

Thumbs down Liar Program in Effect

Well, i have been in a battle with SD for about two weeks now and I guess part of the problem is the HAFH program. They are hassling me to set-up a 2nd account notwithstanding that I did this years ago and they either lost or destroyed the record.

On June 1, 2013, I was promised to be sent a dish. SD now states it wasn't a "promise" but an "offer". Apparently, even though Louie from Customer Relations authorized the dish, the hardware (shipping?) department was able to override this and decided not to send me the dish. I should add that they did not bother to contact me about this, possibly assuming that I might have forgotten that I was to receive a dish?

Funny thing is that I was direct messaging them the other day on Twitter to follow-up and they even confirmed in writing that the dish had been sent. Stupid me though because I didn't realize and SD only told me afterwards that "sent" means it was sent to the hardware department (who decided I wasn't entitled to a dish and also decided that there was no reason to inform me). I should also have known that the decision wasn't final and that the hardware (shipping) department could override customer relations.

When they told me it was sent, I though it was sent to me. Man, am I ever dumb!

Yikes, they also gave me sh*t for contacting them in different ways. Turns out if you start by e-mail, you must continue this way, the same for Twitter and the call centre. If you don't there is miscommunication because "they are all in different parts of the organization".

Well I hope with my next bill that they send me an organizational chart. This way I can make their life easier by having a better understanding of the internal workings of their organization.

The funniest thing yet is that they put the following in the signature portion of their e-mails:

ACCOUNTABLE BALANCE CUSTOMER FOCUSED INTEGRITY LOYALTY POSITIVE, CAN DO ATTITUDE TEAM PLAYER
post #204 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 06:22 PM

starchoice- you sure got the run around. How hard is it to get things right and document the account.

On another note, Shaw Direct called me today to inform me my 2nd home was approved, ( even though I registered for it already under the HAFH program) They are sending me out a new LNB. I have my 2nd account number also The thing I am not overly crazy about is that you must have it active at least 14 days a year. This has to be 2 weeks together also. I explained that I was told it it could be a weekend only for a whole year. She said the program is still not solid, and things are changing slightly. ( Thats sure reassuring.... ) Now the lady I talked to was very nice. I mentioned that they lost my registration from 2010 that I got to register my RV. She looked around and put me on hold. Then said she would call me back after talking to her manager. She did phone me back and they approved the 50% discount instead of only 25%. Also, 1 receiver must be tied to the account at all times.

So looks like I will need to get another receiver to leave in the RV. not sure how often I will use this program, or if I take a receiver from home with me instead some of the time.
post #205 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 07:16 PM
Veteran

Angry Office of the President?

For the record, i did file a complaint with BBB. I don't expect this to go anywhere. It looks like it's the same CSRs dealing with these matters. One time, you will get an e-mail from Sarah, the next time from Michael. The signature area states Office of the President. I'm pretty sure there is no such office. I think they got this model from Sears.
post #206 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 07:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrw View Post
On another note, Shaw Direct called me today to inform me my 2nd home was approved...
Wow, I didn't think that anyone would actually go for this but it seems like you won't have it running all the time. Frankly, I just don't trust them anymore because their word is no good and they can change things anytime they want.

I thought about it and how apparently, you can have one running and the other shut off. However, wait times are horrendous and being on hold once or twice a week for over an hour is ridiculous.

I'm sure that there would be billing problems as well, e.g. one system shut down but it wasn't so you get a billing error.

Telus is looking appealing right now. Given that I have phone and internet with them, I can get a fairly sweet deal with satellite at my second location and Optik at my main residence.
post #207 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 07:39 PM

believe me, I'm not thrilled about this program at all... It rather sucks. But I am just going to use it the 14 days a year I need too, the rest of the time I will just take a home receiver. hopefully it will keep them happy.

Starchoice, I do agree with you totally. Would you be getting Telus Satellite and Optik tv then?
post #208 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 08:22 PM
Veteran

I'm gong to see how the program works without being officially registered.
post #209 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 08:43 PM
Veteran

Well I was talking to another friend today, and he was right. He new something was going to change so last fall he told Shaw D that he sold his cottage and relocated his other 630 back to the city, while in fact what he did was leave it there and he purchased a second XKU LNB did a quick self change over and now has all new channels at both places just like before without the hassle of this "second account". I just told him I hope it all works out for him.
post #210 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-15, 10:58 AM

If you've got 2 different LNB's on one account, so for example, someone wants to change their LNB at home to the XKU, their LNB at the cottage ( not registered on HAFH) is Dual Quad. If they unplug the receivers at the cottage, call to get "all" receivers re-hit with the new XKU VCODE , when they go to plug the receivers in at the cottage, will they still work on the old Quad since they weren't plugged in to the get the new hit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in