Home Away From Home Program - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Ripping their Hair Out

This is literally what the rep told me. He also said there were two guys beside him in the same position. I took this to mean that there were 3 of the in the HAFH department at the time. I was on the phone with him over an hour and he genuinely seemed as disgruntled as me. Said he only found out about changes abouy two hours before they went into effect. Reason given was HAFH was not a sustainable business model. My suggestion is not to call about this program. Your account will be flagged. Notwithstanding the fact that I am registered in the program, they claim that I am not (due to their own incompetency in not being able to find older registered customers), they want me now to "register" again even though the program is cancelled. They don't seem to realize the irony in what they are asking.

Rep also said huge incoming calls due to new LNB, new channels and cancellation of HAFH program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 01:56 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Please, let's limit this thread to HAFH. There is a separate sticky thread for discussion of SD outside of Canada.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #138 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Received this from Shaw today in answer to my question about HAFH:

"On May 30, 2013, Shaw Direct discontinued “Home Away From Home” one of our longest running programs. This program offered you the chance to receive service at two locations under one monthly bill anywhere in Canada. Moving forward we would like to continue to offer you the option to have satellite television service at your cottage/RV with our new “2nd Home” program.

The primary differences between the “2nd Home” and “Home Away From Home” program are twofold. The first is that customers will now be required to set up a secondary account for their vacation property. We will, however, be offering services at the vacation property that mirror the primary residence but at a deeply discounted price. The second is that we are now allowing customers to enjoy their programming at both locations simultaneously.

We certainly understand the impact that this adjustment in policy may have on our customers as well as the frustration, confusion or concern that may result from it. We are glad that we were able to provide the Home Away From Home service at no charge for as long as we did, but we have recognized it is not sustainable in its current form. The new program will allow us to provide similar benefits at a price that is more representative of the costs related to offering services at a second location. We are currently the only service provider in Canada to offer our customers the opportunity to access programming at an additional vacation property at a discounted rate. Services may also be temporarily suspended at your vacation property while not in use, provided the primary residence remains active.

Please be assured we are here to support you through this transition and to offer an honest and open dialogue relating to any concerns you might have. Could we have your account number if you have further questions?"

... Mike

post #139 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 06:36 PM

I got the EXACT same email- WORD for Word. I have the new channels, but have not committed to anything yet!

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #140 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 01:30 PM
Rookie

New Charges Home away from Home ?

Have not been on line for sometime so may have missed some info

Understand Shaw are now going to charge for home away progamme, 2 residence 2 fees, currently offering 50% discount for 2nd residence

Service will no longer be available south of the canadian border, so my 3month Florida visit no Canadian tv

Would appreciate what info people have on these topics

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-06-04 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #141 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 12:29 AM
Veteran

Thumbs down New Rules

In a nutshell,

* if you are a new customer to HAFH, you have to pay 75% additional to what your current bill is

* if you are an existing customer, you have to pay 50% additional to what your current bill is

* apparently, not available at all if you are in the U.S.

* if you registered for this program many years ago, they don't even know that you are currently on the program, apparently because the method used now is different from years ago, so you are likely in the clear - suggestion: keep mouth shut and remain ignorant of any changes

* they don't want you using two locations at one time so if you do have two locations, it seems that they will be happy to shut down one location and you can avoid additional fees this way

Personal thoughts:

* if you set up your own dish, they still have no way of knowing unless you tell them

* not sure how they plan to implement this or roll this out

* shutting down one location while leaving another active would be a nightmare for weekend campers or cottage goers - sitting on hold a minimum of one hour each week and then doing the same when you get back home

* Shaw Direct seems to be going the way of Bell - inept CSRs, CSRs who don't speak English well, limiting service to one location only, clueless CSRs who don't even know what channels they offer

* Shaw Direct is quickly losing whatever edge they may have had - they are way behind in channels, twice a year rate increases, unacceptable "hold" times when calling, lack of knowledge of CSRs (likely due to poor or little training) and lack of experience due to high turnover.
post #142 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 12:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdownpercy View Post

Understand Shaw are now going to charge for home away progamme, 2 residence 2 fees, currently offering 50% discount for 2nd residence
Ha ha, you are buying into their propaganda:

50% discount?

Wow, great deal, I'll take it!
post #143 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchoice View Post
* shutting down one location while leaving another active would be a nightmare for weekend campers or cottage goers - sitting on hold a minimum of one hour each week and then doing the same when you get back home
Wow you can't do that on the computer you have to call them???

I agree that people who can should just keep quiet and see what happens...
post #144 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 02:38 AM

What I was told today, with the "NEW" program, its 2nd home is what they call it now, you are allowed to have both locations running at the same time.I was also told that you can have 6 receivers at home and another 6 at your 2nd home for that discounted price... but as you mentioned, I was also registered with home away for home, but they have no record of it...

The other thing CSR told me, was that you can only have it active for a weekend, month or all year if you wanted too. It will be prorated. There working on a phone and online options. But, still to have to pay even half, for taking one receiver with you in your RV, its not worth.
post #145 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 09:20 AM

So do you have to own the second home or can it be a friends place? Rules seem somewhat ambiguous at best and they've left themselves open for a lot of problems. i.e. my friend and I can now share an account and pay less than if we each had our own account. They should make this more clear so people don't steal.
post #146 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 09:34 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_source View Post
So do you have to own the second home or can it be a friends place? .
Account splitting is possible with all sat providers, however, it was, and is, illegal.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #147 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 10:26 AM

I would still think its illegal. Yu have to prove your second residence or rv still. One thing I forgot to mention, was that the CSR told me its only 25% savings on the 2nd account, I don't think they even know what they are doing yet...
post #148 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 11:31 AM

I spend some time in Florida during the winter and I have suspended my Home Away From Home program for the summer. When I return in the fall and want to re-start, what should I do?
By the way, in Canada I live in a building which only allows Rogers cable, so I would not be able to get Shaw Direct even if I wanted to.
post #149 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 12:07 PM
Veteran

Leesnurg, it does not sound like you would even be in th HAFH program because your primary residence does not have Shaw Direct. Does SD even know that you are using the service in Florida? I assume you are billed in Canada and just on a vacation suspension. If this is the case, do nothing and never mention where you are getting service or you will be cut off.
post #150 of 302 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 12:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Account splitting is possible with all sat providers, however, it was, and is, illegal.
Hit up the honest people for more cash. Let the criminals carry on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in