Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSR 530 New Firmware CANCELLED!

218K views 841 replies 154 participants last post by  admin 
#1 ·
I was speaking to an actual Shaw Direct technician this afternoon, who told be there is new firmware coming for the DSR 530 some time in the next 2 months ...

1. 2 week schedule (much needed)
2. Record 2 programs while watching a 3rd (very useful)
3. Set to record new episodes only, plus several other record options
4. Better search mode
5. Interactive weather
6. Plus other features that I cannot remember

These features should make life easier for all 530 users. This new firmware has been under test for many months and they have been unable to crash the receiver once.

Plus a further update later in the year that will allow you to watch multiple channels at the same time ... called mosaic.

A new HD PVR scheduled for release in 2010 ... possibly by April ... will allow you to attach an external hard drive.

#2 ·
Considering how much this has been discussed on the forums, I think a lot of people are taking the approach of "we'll believe it when we see it."

Shaw Direct has been promising this firmware update for years -- instead, all we've gotten is a firmware "update" that broke HDMI connectivity for a lot of users and added so-called copy protection (CGMS-A).

#3 ·
Yes, according to the tech this firmware was developed in 2007. But he assured me it will be installed on all 530's before the fall season. I would rather wait than have happened with Bell TV where they installed defective firmware on their user's HD PVRs which required users to reset their units every time they wanted to turn it on!

#4 ·
I was speaking to an actual Shaw Direct technician this afternoon, who told be there is new firmware coming for the DSR 530 some time in the next 2 months ...

1. 2 week schedule (much needed)
2. Record 2 programs while watching a 3rd (very useful)
How would this work that you could record two programs and watch a third? Considering there are only two lines I mean. We can do this currently, but we also have a 505. I'm curious about this...

The Hans

#9 ·
No, the 505 has one tuner. We have our 505 plugged into a digital video recorder. We have our 530 also, so currently we can record two separate things and watch something live that's completely different. I was thinking the new software would allow this to happen with the 530. But I was quickly corrected. :)

The Hans

#11 ·
The tech definitely said .. record 2 programs while watching another live.

This new firmware is for the 530 only.

By the way, the new HD PVR scheduled for next year will have an HDMI connection.

#12 ·
It's perfectly possible to connect the STB via composite video or S-video to a DVD recorder, while having DVI connectied (directly) to the TV and not through an AVR. Of course, this is also only SD.

Let's get back to the topic of this thread though please. If you wish to discuss DVD recorders or the 505, please do so in existing or new threads.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
The tech definitely said .. record 2 programs while watching another live.
That tech gave you the wrong information. You can record 2 programs at once and watch a (previously) recorded program. I just had a quick meeting today with a supervisor with regards to the new firmware and I got a summary sheet as well and it was mentioned many times that you can't record 2 shows and watch a 3rd show live.

#16 ·
Most of these features, except for the recording options (obviously) will also be rolled out to the 207/209/317/319/505 models. Interactive weather is supposed to launch in the last week of July, with the new guide/recording features to following 3 weeks later.

#17 ·
The MOSIAC is REAL

Likely the same as Dish and Bell use during Olympics and Elections.
Multiple video screens meshed together in the headend of their choosing and a selectable ring around it that switches the audio stream and then you can select to go to the full screen channel.
Almost a shrink wrapped OpenTV application by now.
Just add content and go.
They probably want it in time for 2010.

I was consulting for a Montreal outfit to build some new stuff and tear down some old stuff that just happened to be in their Calgary uplink building.

In the rack next to the one I was working on were a bunch of digital video servers/encoders and gear label mosaic right next to the uplink encoders and stuff.

Unfortunately I didn't see any of it in action.

Built in 2007 eh?
I once knew the guy that roadmapped all that stuff for them.
So it took them 2 years to build it and another 2 to test it out!
That's sets the expectations pretty darn high that it should be be nothing less than fantabulous and bulletproof.
Not the type of vision I typically get when thinking of Shaw Direct, but I hope I'm wrong.
It would be nice to have a real contender back in the Canadian satellite market.

#18 ·
One neat new firmware feature will allow you to search for a program without knowing the channel or times. Key in say "Dog Whisperer" ... you will be given the channel and the days and times of the program.

#19 ·
It's a good feature, but..

One neat new firmware feature....
It's only new to them.
Just about every other STB has had it for years.

Since Moto cable boxes have had it for some time with the various EPG vendors, one has to wonder if maybe Moto should just stay with hardware and let a real company write EPG code.

Lets face it, their last industrial gray guide for ancient legacy boxes was nothing short of below average.

When you show up to the party this late in the game, if everybody hasn't left yet, you had better bring a real surprise for everyone if you want to be remembered as at least an also ran.

BTW, are we there yet?

#20 ·
Almost...employees are running the update now, and are being trained on how to support it.
It is going to be a very slow rollout when it starts though. Interactive weather is first (2-3 weeks away) and the new guide/recording features will follow (2-3 weeks after the iTV launch).

#21 ·
Well, although the upgrade has been promised for a long time, the surprise for me is the "record two programs" feature. I don't recall it being mentioned before in the endless speculation. I think it qualifies as a bonus!

Anyway, I'm awfully glad the upgrades are coming. It is a good thing that Shaw is enhancing the current family, as it improves our investments in the 505 and 530.

#22 ·
Am I alone in wondering why the heck interactive weather is first? Who cares?

So if the Interactive weather hits snags, how far back does that push the important part of the update -- the true PVR functions that have been promised for what… 3 years??? I am so sick of hunting through guides in 3 day increments to find shows. I want series record, episode titles and a 7 day searchable guide.

Wouldn't this time line put the PVR function updates right at the beginning of the fall season?? And when has a major update ever rolled out without a glitch?

I'm over the moon to get this new firmware, but am feeling snarky at having to wait through darn Interactive TV junk first. Anyone else there with me? Or am I missing the wonder of interactive weather?

And finally, is this actually happening? Can i get excited or are we in for disappointment again…

#23 ·
Perhaps this is a prudent update move (for once). Put out the least risky new function first, and it provides the chance to be sure all of the existing function is not broken in the new release. It's better change management than throwing everything out at once!

As for interactive weather, this will give you strictly local forecasts at the 10-minute local weather segments because the receiver can select the content applicable to your location. Right now, the local segments cover the whole country, and is the same on every receiver. Hopefully I won't need to keep basic cable (Rogers) now.

#26 ·
Personally I couldn't care less for interactive weather,My receiver is hooked up to a 57" rear projection tv and I'am not going to fire this up just to get the weather.I can get any weather report I want through my internet hookup,or listen to local talk radio that updates evry 10 minutes.To be pushing interactive weather with so many other ways to get the SAME information is in my opinion ridiculous.:rolleyes:

#27 ·
Of course, you're entitiled to your opinion, but it's not the only one that matters to Shaw Direct. And you're not the only one that can find the weather forecast on the internet! It's an improvement over what's there now, and only an example of the kind of things that can come with the interactive TV feature. See the three coloured buttons on the remote: these can be used to select what you see (or how you see it) from the data stream. If you don't care about weather, think of how it can improve your favourite thing you watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.