adding HD to Starchoice account - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

adding HD to Starchoice account

I have a couple of dishes (one at home, one at the cottage) and have a question.

I have a 401 SD receiver at the cottage with a round dish with stacked LNB.

I have upgraded my home dish to the dual head stacked LNB in anticipation of adding HD.

I just picked up a 505 receiver and want to add it to my home.

I was planning to leave a couple of my home SD receivers connected to the SAT A line which is split with 2 gHz splitters and run the SAT A and SAT B lines to where the HD receiver is going and putting a 2x2 multiswitch at that location.

Will this work OK? Do I need to call SC to tell them I have a dual head stacked dish for the HD channels to show in the guide and will my cottage 401 with the old single stacked LNB dish be unaffected by the change in the channel map?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 09:09 PM

just let them know that only the hd receiver is on a double stacked and the rest of the receivers are still single stacked. once you have a guide that shows both satellites on your hd receiver, you may notice a few other channels that aren't hd such as the superchannel movie package. if you do want those channels you might have to upgrade every dish to the new quad style unless you have more of the 2x2 stacked multiswitches , they're getting hard to find.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

What I was wondering was if the receiver on the single stacked LNB dish would work normally with the dual stack channel map.

Will the 401's now show the chanels from both Sat's in the guide but just not be able to access them? Other than that would they still operate the same as always? This is what I would expect.

So I should be able to call SC and let them know that I have the new dish and not have to do anything to change my cottage setup or the cable runs at home?

When I called SC a few months ago and asked about adding a quad for HD but leaving the others on the single stacked dish, they gave me a hassel about "Only one dish type on an account". I don't want to start re-running lines again or buying more dishes when it seems unnecessary to do so. That's why I went with the dual stacked to add the HD receiver. I hope I understood the setups and will get the result I am looking for.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 04:16 PM

if you have your receiver set for dual stacked dish and connect it to a single stacked dish, it will for the most part work normally. the problems you may run into are when you select a channel that is on the f2 satellite. the receiver will "think" it has switched to the 2nd satellite and you will either see a red light if it tunes into something that it doesn't understand such as an hd channel or a transponder that has nothing on it, or more often though you will get the green light and either see the message that you are not subscribed or you will see a different channel than what you expected. for example you might see the correct "tv guide name" for the program you selected on the screen but instead of that channel's name displayed, you see the name of the channel it found on the f1 satellite. many people that have older receivers that don't have the 22khz tone capability run into the same problem. they select channel 559 and get cmt instead of ewtn. or is it tlc? oh well it's one of those.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Lonnie, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in