Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Google Nexus One Review

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 01:59 PM
taxtwit

Hey NofC:

Thx for your very useful review of the GNI - it helped me decide to get one myself, which arrived a few days ago. Just wondering if you could answer a quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to in the manual. Is it possible to turn off the cell network receiver so that it doesn't download data without a prompt? My scenario is that I'd like to use GNI as a pay as you go phone and use the WIFI connectivity to do anything involving data. I don't really need data connectivity via cell network 95% of the time and I don't want to get a monthly data plan for the 5% of the time I'm outside of WIFI range. I read in the manual that I can disable "data roaming" when I'm not connected to my home cell network - is there a similar functionality when I AM connected to my home cell netowrk? Alternatively, is there a way to set the GNI to default to "data over WIFI" in preferance to "data over cell network"?

Any response much appreciated

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome