Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Advice for hot tub purchase

58K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  MarcP 
#1 ·
Im looking at buying a hot tub in the next couple of weeks in Calgary. We are hot tub newbies so looking for any advice as to what things to look for and what to avoid. Especially what dealers to avoid. I know a little now and I am researching the internet but I find first hand advice always so much more helpfull.
So far I have only looked at Jacuzzi brand tubs and paradise spas. Paradise was like walking into a sleaze car sales lot. Basicially got "well this is a flyer of what we have and you can customize it however you want" the sales man vaguley answered my questions so I walked out.
I was really impressed with the service and knowledge of the sales man at Jacuzzi . He first stepped thru what I wanted a hot tub for, how often we expected to use it, and what questions I had upfront. He the proceeded to stepped me thru all the features that they have , then showed me a few models the suited our usage. One thing I really appreciated about him was he said "no matter what hot tub company you decided to go with ALWAYS wet test the exact tub you are looking at buying" To be honest being a newbie I never even thought about that. Kinda like buying a car with out a test drive.

The budget I have set my self is under $13000 with everything. Of course less is better but its a big investment and dont want to limit myself and regret the purchase.
I want one with a lounger I think
I want it primarily for theraputic use then, social as the second
Im planning on putting it on a gravel pad then next year I will build a deck surround around it(time permitting)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
As you can see in the thread, I bought a top of the line Beachcomber. To date no regrets.

Frankly, I don't like the lounger so check it out in your wet test. Make sure you get a pump that runs all the time for cleaning and my advice is avoid getting an ozonator.

#6 ·
Leo said:
Arctic Spa, best tub in my opinion, plus it is built in Alberta
Leo
Yes Arctic Spa is Great. I've had one for two years. What I like best is its energy efficiency....I don't really notice much change in my hydro consumption....admittedly an unscientific observation although I do track consumption over the years........

It can also be installed on a level stone dust base.....so no concrete pad required.

I pretty much use it every night except for really hot nights in the summer. In the winter, the colder the night the better it feels...

#7 ·
Ive been checking out the Artic spas online, do any of you find that the ridges between the seats are a good thing or a hinderance? This is one feature that I liked about the Jacuzzi ones is that there are no ridges between seats just smooth contours. Guess i really need to try them out and see.

#8 ·
ctown6412 said:
Ive been checking out the Artic spas online, do any of you find that the ridges between the seats are a good thing or a hinderance? This is one feature that I liked about the Jacuzzi ones is that there are no ridges between seats just smooth contours. Guess i really need to try them out and see.
I think Arctic Spas has different models...with and without ridges. The ones without ridges seat more people in the same space. The ones with ridges are more comfortable. So I guess it depends how many people you will usually have in the tub at one time.

#9 ·
Why did I click on this thread !

I shouldn't have. I have an in ground 16X32 swimming pool since 25 years and now that the kids are all grown up, I almost never use it....I wanted to get it out but it is an expensive proposition....need a permit from the environment dept and the operation would cost around $8000.......

Reading this thread (and the other one posted by Hugh) just makes it irrisistable. Here I go again with other expenses after the HDTV etc.....now, I have to make a decision whether I should give up the boat cause I won't have time for the TV, the tub, the boat etc.....I should be more carefull on what I click on :D

#10 ·
i like the beachcomber for the position of the motor, the big step and seating. oh yeah, made in Canada.

#11 ·
otown47 said:
Yes Arctic Spa is Great. I've had one for two years. What I like best is its energy efficiency....I don't really notice much change in my hydro consumption....admittedly an unscientific observation although I do track consumption over the years........

It can also be installed on a level stone dust base.....so no concrete pad required.

I pretty much use it every night except for really hot nights in the summer. In the winter, the colder the night the better it feels...
I am into my first winter with mine, i love it.... agreed on the hydro bill, no noticable increase also, simple installation, easy chemical maintenance....

Leo

#13 ·
Well I did a bunch of shopping around and and have decided to go back to Jacuzzi and get a j-355. I found that in tests soaks the jacuzzi provided my wife and I the best hydro therapy. I really liked the jet control of the j355 over beachcombers, and artic spas.
Also a year without payments or interests was a nice selling feature.

#15 ·
Enjoy your tub ctown! My wife and I use ours more than we ever thought.

Ozonators are a good idea too!
If you're not asthmatic and don't mind sucking in a highly poisonous gas with a strong odour!

Ozonators save on the cost of chlorine or bromine. Personally, I'd rather spend an extra $20 a year for the extra chlorine or bromine and avoid the dangers of ground level ozone.

#16 ·
The hot tub comes standard with a goog quality cover, gas shock pro lifter, corona discharge Ozonator, 2 jet pumps,one circulation pump, syntetic surrounds, 36" syntetic steps,led lighting , water fall,chemicals and delivery and setup.

Heres a link to the tub,
http://products.jacuzzi.com/nd/jpmv2.d2w/detail?LENGTH=&WIDTH=&COLLECTION=AND%20CECOLL%3D|~|300|~|&JETS=&HEIGHT=&SEATS=&CAPACITY=&SEARCHREQ=1&NOITEMS=0&SUITEID=&PG=J-355&PAGE=

I think im going to ask for 2 extra filters, full width steps(wood ones they are trying to clear out), and 2 bath robes. We are planning on get a tub they have in stock so its already $500 cheaper too.

Ill post my final results tonight after I make the purchase.

#17 ·
Since you haven't purchased, let me throw my advice out one more time. Think twice about the ozonator.

Here is a bulletin from the California Air Resources Board. This article is about Indoor Ozone Generators but you get the idea. (BTW: NEVER get an indoor hot tub with an ozonator because it has the same effect as an "Air Purifying" Machines indoors)

Some will argue that the Ozone from the ozonator will be dissapated because you're outdoors, however, your nose is right above the waterline, especially on a cold night, so you're breathing in a chemical which is considered a major component of smog.

Hot tubs with ozonators are considered a real no-no for asthmatics so if you have friends over who might have some respiratory issues, please let them know.

ARB Warns, Danger from Popular "Air Purifying" Machines

By: California Air Resources Board
Published: Jan 21, 2005

Today, the California Air Resources Board (ARB) heard evidence revealing the unrecognized danger from indoor air purifiers known as ozone generators. Sold as indoor air cleaners, indoor air purifiers, and personal air purifiers, they intentionally emit large amounts of ozone, a criteria air pollutant, purportedly to clean the air.

"These machines are insidious. Marketed as a strong defense against indoor air pollution, they emit ozone, the same chemical that the ARB and the USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) have been trying to eliminate from our air for decades," said acting ARB Chairperson Barbara Riordan. "More chilling is that some people susceptible to the ill effects of ozone will eagerly bring these Trojan horses home."

In a update of health research to Board members, ARB staff reported the results from multiple studies of ozone generating machines. These devices sold as indoor air cleaners, indoor air purifiers, and personal air purifiers, purposely emit ozone, the major component of smog, to clean the air. One study, conducted by the USEPA, ran an ozone generator in a test home at its maximum setting. When the room's air was sampled, ozone levels were found exceeding 0.3 parts per million (ppm), and an adjacent room's levels exceeded 0.2 ppm. This level is equal to a stage one smog alert when local air pollution control districts advise the public to avoid some outdoor activities. These readings far exceed the state's ambient one-hour standard for ozone of 0.09 ppm, and any recently observed outdoor peak levels in California. At the machine's medium setting, even with the home's central fan turned on, ozone levels still exceeded the state standard. These findings force the Board to recommend the public avoid using these devices.

ARB scientists expressed concern, since some manufacturers aggressively market these products to individuals with asthma and other respiratory and health problems. Ozone can damage the cells lining nasal passages and lungs making it difficult to breathe and can exacerbate asthma symptoms. At the ozone levels noted above, some people
would experience reductions in lung function, particularly if they engage in significant indoor activity (ie., housework, use of exercise equipment, children in active play), as well as symptoms such as pain on deep breath, cough and chest tightness. Elevated ozone levels can also damage household materials, such as carpeting and paint, as well as react indoors to form increased levels of formaldehyde and ultra-fine particulate matter; with their compounding negative health effects. If a family were to leave these machines on constantly, it would be as though the family lived in a 24 hour/seven day a week stage-one smog alert.

With public concern about indoor air quality rising, advertising and sales of these devices is increasing. Manufacturers often falsely claim that these devices eliminate bacteria, mold, and chemical contaminants from the air, and that they help persons with asthma and allergies. Independent studies by the USEPA, the Consumers Union, and others have shown that these devices do not effectively destroy microbes, remove odor sources, or reduce indoor pollutants enough to provide any health benefits. Ozone masks the odor of other indoor pollutants by deadening the sense of smell. Although ozone is used effectively in water to destroy microbes, ozone in air must reach extremely hazardous levels (50-100 times the outdoor air quality standards) to effectively kill microbes.

The ARB and a handful of other state and federal agencies have taken actions in an attempt to address this health issue. However, no agency has clear authority to control ozone emissions from devices, and actions to date have not been effective in addressing this problem. For more information on air purifiers see the ARB website here.

The Air Resources Board is a department of the California Environmental Protection Agency. ARB's mission is to promote and protect public health, welfare, and ecological resources through effective reduction of air pollutants while recognizing and considering effects on the economy. The ARB oversees all air pollution control efforts in California to attain and maintain health based air quality standards.

#19 ·
my two cents:

I like to be informed and from my research when I bought a tub I found that Ozonators have a large margin hence why hot tub retailers push them hard and in a properly maintained tub the chemical saving is not that significant.

Anyway what I've read, I wouldn't go near anything that generates ozone.

#20 ·
I sell Jacuzzi and Sundance

Hi,

I don't live in Calgary so I gain nothing by this.

Jacuzzi is excellent value. It is definitly more money then Artic, Beachcomber and other Canadian - made models, but you get so much more. I dont mean just features as well, I mean the quality of build and the awesome support from not just the dealer (wich I have heard is getting rave reviews, we have the same rep) but by Jacuzzi as well. Example: Jacuzzi is the parent company of Sundance Spas, back in the mid 90's there was a dealer in our area that was the typical used car high pressure sales guys. The second they got their money the service was gone. Needles to say they went out of business. They actually started to manufacturer spas - no I won't tell you which ones.

Anyways, I get a phone call from one of there old clients. There spa is out of warranty and leaks very bad. The entire spa industry had a bad "batch" of glue in part of 1995. Problem is the leaks didnt start till after warrantys ran out. What Sundance (AKA Jacuzzi) did was started offering people prices way below dealer cost for new spas. Prices that were below even what a dealer would pay for a personal tub (wich we are only allowed 1 a year).

They do everything to take care of the customer.

I used to sell Beachcomber. some facts about them. This year the entire line up changes. EVERYTHING about the spa is different. You can take that as a good or bad I guess. Also, they use a outside company for warranty. If you have a good dealer then this shouldnt bother the consumer much. If you have a lazy dealer that deleys processing warranties then comes back at you saying it was denied - then worry. Currenty we are covering all warranty costs for all of our beachcombers that are still covered. The pain with dealing with the outside company is not worth it, unless it is a big bill.

As for Artic, my mother said I should say nothing at all ;)

And as for all spas: Probably the only thing made in Canada is the cover. all the controls and parts would be shipped in from over seas, or the US. It's just the way it is. Almost every thing that says it is MADE IN CANADA, is simply assembled in Canada.

My best advice would be to test soak as many spas as you can. but pay attention to how well the dealer knows his/her own spa and not the competition. I find thats a good way to tell if your dealing with someone genuine or someone that is constantly bashing the competitor to make theres look good.

Sorry I rambled and now I'm late for work.

Battery

PS www.crystalview.ca is our website and I have a forum setup if you have more questions. Ther is no one on it yet... but it is set up. lol

#21 ·
Also all spas can be installed on a stone dust base, or concrete pads, or concrete squares. as long as it is flat and level. FLAT being the key word.

Ozone:

A good ozone settup should have 99% of the gas depleted before it hits the surface. Ask about how the ozone contact is done.

Ozone is available as a CD (Corona Discharge system - A little lightning bolt in a box) or UV bulb. IF you are worried about Ozone try a UV Sterilizer. they are a bout 2 - 3 times the cost though, but work great. They are perfect for those who "forget to check the chemicals" for acouple of weeks kinda of people.

Battery

#22 ·
I did a bunch more research and I feel that the trade off for chemical levels vs the risk of ozone is well worth it. I have read several articles about the actuall ozone levels and it is about 1/3 less than is in the air we breath every day.
I have built a raised gravel pad for the hot tub over this weekend and im pretty happy with the results.
The tub comes on the 17th so only 9 more days! :) Hopefully it gets colder by they so we can really enjoy it, and I really really want to snow I can go spend the day skiing then come home and relax.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

#23 ·
Update on Ozonanator

Just thought Id do an update post about the issue Hugh had raised about Ozonators. After the install of my tub was done I asked the installer about ozone and what he told me was it was still unclear if it was 100% safe to be in a tub with contiuous ozone running so what Jacuzzi has choosen to do with their systems is make the Ozonator ONLY run when the main pumps are off. As most people wont use a tub with NO jets/pumps on this is a very good solution to a possible issue. You still get the full benifit of cleaner safer water but without possible side effects risks.

Ps the J355 is one KICK ASS tub! spent 2 nights in it now and im 100% happy with the purchase! If anyone in Calgary is reading these posts and decide to go look at Jacuzzi brand tubs if you send me a pm ill give you my name and if you decide to do a purchase and mention you were reffered then you get bit of a discount and I get a small gift too.

For the install even the store owner came out to make sure things went smoothly! Great service from these guys!

#24 ·
ctown6412 said:
Ps the J355 is one KICK ASS tub! spent 2 nights in it now and im 100% happy with the purchase! If anyone in Calgary is reading these posts and decide to go look at Jacuzzi brand tubs if you send me a pm ill give you my name and if you decide to do a purchase and mention you were reffered then you get bit of a discount and I get a small gift too.

For the install even the store owner came out to make sure things went smoothly! Great service from these guys!

Good choice in model. what colours did you get?

I have heard great things about this dealer

#26 ·
he told me was it was still unclear if it was 100% safe to be in a tub with contiuous ozone running so what Jacuzzi has choosen to do with their systems is make the Ozonator ONLY run when the main pumps are off. As most people wont use a tub with NO jets/pumps on this is a very good solution to a possible issue. You still get the full benifit of cleaner safer water but without possible side effects risks.
Very practical solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.