Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Advice for hot tub purchase

58K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  MarcP 
#1 ·
Im looking at buying a hot tub in the next couple of weeks in Calgary. We are hot tub newbies so looking for any advice as to what things to look for and what to avoid. Especially what dealers to avoid. I know a little now and I am researching the internet but I find first hand advice always so much more helpfull.
So far I have only looked at Jacuzzi brand tubs and paradise spas. Paradise was like walking into a sleaze car sales lot. Basicially got "well this is a flyer of what we have and you can customize it however you want" the sales man vaguley answered my questions so I walked out.
I was really impressed with the service and knowledge of the sales man at Jacuzzi . He first stepped thru what I wanted a hot tub for, how often we expected to use it, and what questions I had upfront. He the proceeded to stepped me thru all the features that they have , then showed me a few models the suited our usage. One thing I really appreciated about him was he said "no matter what hot tub company you decided to go with ALWAYS wet test the exact tub you are looking at buying" To be honest being a newbie I never even thought about that. Kinda like buying a car with out a test drive.

The budget I have set my self is under $13000 with everything. Of course less is better but its a big investment and dont want to limit myself and regret the purchase.
I want one with a lounger I think
I want it primarily for theraputic use then, social as the second
Im planning on putting it on a gravel pad then next year I will build a deck surround around it(time permitting)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#54 ·
We're very happy with our high end 700 series Beachcomber, with the hybrid motors for energy efficiency. Originally, we thought we'd get a lower end one but at 62 it's easier to get in and out of high end ones, with higher seats and loungers; it will be still easy enough at 72. Make sure you sit in the unit first at the showroom. Moreover, there seem to be year end sales with decent discounts, at least at our dealer, in Annapolis Vally.

BTW, we drain the water onto the lawn and gardens. There's no sign of damage to even tender rhododendrons, azaleas, and hibiscus. There isn't an environmental issue I'm aware of.

#55 ·
Make sure you sit in the unit first at the showroom.
That and make sure you jump in the middle. There should be no flex of the shell. Any movement or creaks is a sign of weakness in the structure/shell. Make sure you get at the very least 10 years warranty on the shell (the one piece that cannot be replaced). The more the better. Anything else can be replaced. Full foam insulation makes things harder to service and goes beyond the rule of diminishing return. Shell and cabinet foam is more than enough. The heat of the pump can't be recycled in a full foam structure.

#56 ·
We have had a Jacuzzi for 8 years and are very happy with it - we drain into the ravine at the back part of our property. It doesn't seem to damage the weeds growing in this area. But I would think that the bromine/chlorine might damage some stuff unless you let it creep down before draining.

#57 ·
Consider the area you live in before draining. Canada is a huge country with quite different ecosystems.

Chlorine decipates quickly in hot tubs, requiring frequent addition of it for balanced spa water, so don't add chlorine for a fews days before draining it. pH and soil horizons raise another issue. Annapolis Valley has acidic, sandy soil -- a fruit and vineyard area like SW BC and Niagara area. Hot tubs here are mostly drained onto surrounding lawns and gardens, without problems. Calgary, on the other hand, has alkaline soil and more clay, a better place to grow grass than NS, presenting different considerations.

I guess the length of winter is another issue. Here, the winter is shorter and milder than most of Canada, so we can time the 3 month water change cycle to avoid draining in winter, onto frozen ground.

Incidentally, my wife is a serious gardener; we have many exotic, by Canadian standards, plants that do not suffer when the spa is drained.

Enjoy your tubs. I gather the Northern Lights are showing up for southerners now. Great to be away from big city lights to see stars, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.