Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat Review.

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  17671 
#1 ·

Just picked up a Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat, Model No: RTH8580WF to replace my older Honeywell Utility Pro Thermostat which was partially smart. My older Thermostat was smart, it was not Wi-Fi, but it was connected to the Hydro Smart Meter Mesh Network and I could login to the Peaksaver portal to change the temperature, but this program was discontinued well over a year ago so it acted as a standard programmable 7 day thermostat. The one I replaced it with looks IDENTICAL, and that was my plan, I wanted it to look just like the old one. I am not one of these millenial kids who want shiny fancy gadgets and gizmos to show off Hey if i gets the same job done as the $300 or $400 dollar and up thermostats and is 1 third the price, then I did well.

Now for starters, I already have an existing honeywell thermostat so the bracket is nearly identical to the one it came with, so i opted to re-use my existing bracket. Setup was breezy (and no im not talking about rapper chris brown) it was very easy to setup I think I was done in under 5 mins. Yes this one requires a 5 conductor wire, or if you have older homes with the 4 conductor wire, you can always use the honeywell 4 to 5 wire adaptor at your furnace and use the K wire terminal on the back of the thermostats. I have this adaptor, from when my old furnace had the 4 conductor wire ,but since getting a new furnace i have upgraded to the newer 5 conductor wire with the C (common wire) and it was the best thing i have done. it simplifies installation

Lastly, I have downloaded and installed the smart app for my phone, and can control it, and I also enabled the alexa skill so i can talk to my alexa to change the temp or have my alexa program temperature changes via macros and schedules even use voice commands thru my phone instead of the smart speaker. pretty neat eh? why pay hundreds of dollars for a thermostat when its all glamour and shine when they basically do all the same things behind the scenes. best money i ever spent.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.