Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DIY ADT Smoke Detector

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  17671 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I have 2 smoke detectors that are expired, which are DSC brand. I called ADT to find out about replacing and they want $180 per smoke alarm! My question is, can I purchase the units myself and install them myself, I'm assuming they have the wired harnesses that just clip in. Would I have to set anything up to work with my alarm system or is just plug and play?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
Usually the smoke detectors that connect to an alarm system are very different than the ones that connect to your houses 120 volt hydro and are not interchangable or not compatible with each other. So that price makes sense. The wiring is also different alarm systems use i think 24 volts low voltage 4 conductor while the ones u buy at home depo use 120 volts hydro or 9 volt battery. U can easily install them your self if u find them online or offline somewhere.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I found a site that states they can be used for ADT systems at like $65 a pop instead of $180. Is it just a matter of popping the old one off and installing the new one and that's it? I had a ADT tech come and change one (he did it for free) and he needed access to the ADT cabinet in my house. This makes me wonder if he had to do something after he installed the unit? What are your thoughts?

#4 ·
when you pop it off there is usually a wire with 4 screw terminals and a 4 conductor wire. that should be all you replace. maybe he needed to access the alarm box for another reason? i dunno but normally you would not need to unless it needed some different configuration? i dunno sounds strange. Try n research the model and try to find an installation manual and it should explain what is required for a monitored fire alarm, they are very straight forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.