Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Hot Tub Installs

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  otown47 
#1 ·
I have just purchased an Artic Spas Kodiak and am somewhat frustrated with the implementation of my final plan and will be interested in any comments or advice from other users. Here's my story:
I have not yet taken delivery of my tub so cannot yet comment on the tub itself. I have a large deck with access to my back yard (acreage). My plan is to have the stairs go 2/3 of the way down to a landing/deck that will be against one side of the tub and flush with the top of the tub skirt. The last of the stairs will return from this landing to the ground. My first issue was maintaining access to the service panels of the tub. My plan was to have the deck joist parallel to the tub stand off just enough that the panels could be removed The panels are full tub height and unless the deck was to be higher than the tub the joist interfere with the access panels. This is my first point of frustration. The next point came when the tub dealer advised me that they will not crawl under any decks to service a tub and that top side access hatches need to be built into the deck. With a bit of extra work I can accommodate this which now brings on my 3rd. point of frustration; access/safety rail. There are a few rails out there but each has it's issues. A couple of models can be swiveled once the cover is removed but the locking mechanism is a thumb screw half way down which would mean climbing under the deck each time. Another model can be mounted to the deck surface but ends up being too high and I'm not sure rail can be safely attached to the tub access panels and, so far, the vendor can’t tell me if the mounting bracket can be flipped so I can attach it to the inside of the joist.
If anyone has installed a tub with a surrounding deck I will be interested in hearing your comments and experience. I have not yet installed the tub or completed the lower deck so still can modify my plans if necessary. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had an Arctic Spas hot tub for a long time at my old house. I can't really picture what your saying with a deck....perhaps a diagram would help.

Anyway you really only have to have on the panels out in the open...the one where the motors and electronics and valves are. The rest need to be accessible but can be from under the deck....very low use. The panels themselves are thick because of the insulation so allow for this in your design. If the top of the hot tub is flush with the deck surface then you would not really need a railing behind the side of the hot tub that is on the edge.

Lastly you need to plan for the cover mechanism....usually they can store the cover vertically next to the tub or horizontally next to the tub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.