Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

getting back into home automation

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  North_of_Calgary 
#1 ·
I need a power timer for some Christmas light and though I would buy the latest home automation brain and get started with a plug n play power line device. I have some old school experience with x10. researched "smart things and google home" etc. It seems I have to buy from many brands to get light dimmers, power timers, contact closers etc. Where do I start?

#3 ·
Are you talking inside or outside Christmas lights? And if outside are they controlled from a switch inside the house (i.e. the "Christmas light plugs" outside in my house have an inside control light switch)?

I would start with the Wemo devices. A smart plug ($25 on sale right now) and/or the smart dimmer wall switch (kind of expensive right now - watch for a Boxing week sale). Wemo integrates with the Google Assistant.

If you want a home controller and you have access to Best Buy US, the SmartThings Hub is on sale for $50 there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.