Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Adding security cameras

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  qwerty113 
#1 ·
So, was broken into while on holidays. No security system, other than a front Ring doorbell. But they came in through a back door so it was of no help.

I want to add a security system. I have a dlink DNS323 NAS that I would like to record to if possible. I'd like to not do the cloud storage route. I'd keep the Ring as a doorbell so I can answer the door when not home, but will not renew the monitoring if I get cameras.

I'm thinking 4-5 cameras, power over ethernet and save video to my NAS. I have full access to my attic and there is power up there, but I live in Kelowna and the space can get hot in the summer. I'd like to mount the cameras in the soffits, so I don't want to have to replace batteries or run power to each one separately which is why I'm thinking POE.

I'm not stuck with using my NAS if there is a cheaper route. Not really interested in real time viewing, but want to be able to record at least 3 weeks of data to cover holiday time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I was wanting something simple that did not require a lot of wiring, power supplies and the like. I finally decided on going with 4 of the Arlo Pro cameras. These are totally wireless and report back to a hub which is connected via Ethernet to your router. The video quality is quite good and the night vision works well too. Each camera has an intrusion detector which can be varied in sensitivity as your requirements merit ( ie: desensitize for pets, etc)

There is a USB port on the back of the hub that can record trigger events for as long as your storage lasts, or you can use the online storage option. This online storage is just for 7 days without a subscription or longer if you sign up. I am just going with the local storage myself.

The only downside is the need for charging the units. The Pro models have a sizable lithium battery that is lasting me 3 months or more between charges. One can, of course, charge full time if you have an outlet nearby or want to use POE with an appropriate adapter. Solar charge options are also becoming more popular as well.

Anyway just my experience with these units. Do your research and I hope you find a solution.

#6 ·
The OP sounded like Arlo was not an option, but at least they have been mentioned and discussed.
The Arlo Pro cameras can be operated without the built-in battery and powered directly by a standard USB 5 volt input. Thus POE, as noted by the OP to be a viable option, would work to power these cameras with an appropriate adapter.

It should be mentioned that a standard 5v USB will not 'charge' a battery installed in the Arlo Pro but should operate it just fine.

The new Arlo solar charger may also be a viable solution

#4 ·
#15 ·
Two things:

1. Does this kit -- AMCREST 4MP NVR KIT contain the cameras mentioned by magnet?

2. What else do I need to make this system "work?"

We have iPhones and an iMac and I want to be able to receive notifications and view the feeds on these devices. I'm building a house and am right at the point of installing data cable throughout so I could easily run CAT6 through the soffits etc.

My knowledge on this stuff is virtually zero. I get that I install the cameras with CAT6 for POE to each, back to the device in the kit.....and then what?? How does it get to my phone and desktop?

Thanks.

#5 ·
The biggest issue is I want to install them half hidden and not have to pull them down every 2-3 months for changing batteries. So I'm thinking wired of some kind is the way to go (for mu needs). Either with POE or just a basic wired system. I did read the thread linked above.

I'm am thinking my NAS isn't going to be useful in this case so may just go with a separate system, but then I need to place it so the wires will reach the hard drive unit.

I'll look at the Amcrest stuff.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Okay. The Amcrest site has ticked me off already. Can't be on it more than 30 seconds before a chat window pops up and if I close it, it gives me another 30 seconds before popping up again. I can't even navigate around the site as the damn chat keeps popping up.

Yeah, in a grumpy mood, but still.

#8 ·
If you can get access to where you want to put them via the attic, etc.. yeah PoE is definitely the way to go.

Usually most PoE units, are a DVR itself, so the recording should be fine then.

I have a 500gb unit, with 2 720p cameras, and i can get a month almost of recording out of it.
A 1-2tb unit should give you more than enough i would think.

#9 ·
I have outlets at the corners under the eaves for xmas lights, etc. Have cameras plugged in there and use wireless. However occasional power failures can mess up the IP address and I do it very inefficiently. I have a host for $40 year for a couple web sites so I ftp to it and then I ftp down to my pc wherever I am to look at stuff. Not the best resolution but no wiring except to the power receptacles.
I really think the cameras act as a deterrent. A friend has fakes and has no problems as an extended snowbird.

Attachments

#10 ·
Hello,

I've been a member of this forum for many years and usually just watch from a distance but since I haven't seen anyone post a direct answer for the OP question. Aartech has a huge selection of cameras including IP with PoE. You could check out the Hikvision dome kits, or drop a line for some help picking models for a custom kit.

If you're going to put cameras up on the 2nd floor soffits keep in mind the angle, if you aim straight down you get the top of people's heads instead of their faces.

https://www.aartech.ca/security-cameras

We're a Canadian owned company with Canadian local support.

#11 ·
amazon.ca, get a ip nvr, $80... get some onvif cameras, hikvision prob best bang for, round 125 or less depending on your needs.. get some cat 6, around 60 for 500ft of bury rated cat6, get a PoE switch, 100-150 depending for an 8 port.. 4TB Seagate Surveillance rated HDD floats around 150... allowing for the fact you have a crimper and buy a bag of cat6 terminators, you could do the whole whole thing for $500-ish, depending on how many cameras you need.. or you could start with the one camera, drop cable into your attic for eventual runs (and just extend where you need if you run short), and easily add cameras down the line.

All the dvr/nvrs on the market basically use the same software these days. Hell, I have a $50 amazon DVR for my cabin that is the same software as $1000 Lorex NVRs that I've installed for people, and the $50 DVR is just as snappy at loading, albeit analog, footage from the hdd as the lorex 2k nvr is.

Good home CCTV isn't expensive.

#12 ·
In my post above not exactly hi-res but as I said for $40 a year you can upload to a server(some technical skill required) then download to your PC or tablet anywhere. Cameras were under $100 each. Dlink Trendnet. Indoor rated but have been operating for 2-3 years under the overhang in -25 to +37 C temps

#14 ·
If you're going coax, make sure cameras and recorder are 720p or 1080p using TVI, CVI, AHD , one of the newer high def formats. Avoid old school CCTV kits if anyone's still selling them as the recorded resolution was not great. You'll need to run siamese cable (coax for video, and a power wire(s) possibly included in the kit) for power & video and you'll be locked in to using coax technology. But easy and simple to set up. Possibly cheaper. They usually include crappy cables in these starter kits, not high quality coax & power. But they'll work fine as long as you don't have any major electrical interference near the cables.

Or go with IP and PoE as you originally considered. Using network cable and IP cameras will give you more options down the road if you want to upgrade, change to a NAS based recorder, make your own server, etc. Using IP cams and rolling your own server or NAS means setting up IP address and network settings. Using an NVR with on board PoE camera ports and PoE cameras, means set up is plug and play as the cameras get power over the same cable and automatically configure themselves to the NVR.

I hope that helps

#16 ·
Wait 5 minutes on the amcrest.ca website during working hours and a chat window will pop up pretty fast.
The guys on the other end know their product pretty well.

Amcrest has a free app for iPhone and Android that you can view your cameras live or access your PVR.

Also their software for Windows is quite usable (only issue I ever had was when my text zoom was not set to 100%).

You also need to run a network cable from the DVR to your router.

Lots of good setup videos from Amcrest on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPTl5ZUH8sgYB97Te0iIudg/videos

#18 ·
So the answer to my question is Yes. The 8-Channel POE NVR kit includes the P4M-1025E 4MP ProHD cameras.

What I don't like is that they don't have mounting junction boxes. Other brands I'm looking at do, particularly Avigilon and even Foscam.

Seems odd to mount these things to soffits, bricks, etc. without a proper junction box.

https://foscamcanada.com/accessories/FAB99

Avigilon PDF

*I don't think I have permission to imbed images with the

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.