Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

NEST Cam review

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  truebluenoser 
#1 ·
in case anyone was thinking of these security cameras.

I now have 3 of these cameras (2 indoor and 1 outdoor)

things i like
super easy to setup. takes less than 5 minutes. I had tried other cameras that were finicky to get going
magnetic base and wall mount makes them easy to place.

image quality is excellent. Wide field of view covers quite a lot. I have one indoor watching my front door and one as a pet cam / living room cam.

I love that you can either / or set a schedule for when the cameras come on or have them turn off when you come home. The living room cam turns off when i come home (once cell phone is in range it is off) You can also manually turn cameras on / off with the app or web browser.

The outdoor cam night vision is amazing. It makes it look like twilight but when i look outside it is actually pretty dark.

you can live view the cameras from your cell phone or a web browser. You also get alerts when motion is detected.
You can also hear what is going on and also talk.

the only bad is if you want to have recordings it can get pricey. 20/month for one cam and 5/cam after that. But i do not really need to save recordings. i use them as monitors and live view.
also since they are IP cameras and need power you have to place them near a power plug and in wifi range

See less See more
#5 ·
I could not possibly justify a nest cam but I have 5 other cams(neighbour, don't ask!). I use the power receptacle at the entrance and the receptacles under the eaves that were for christmas lights etc. I use indoor cams outside as they are under the eaves and seem to tolerate the cold(-15C or so). I record to a server and review when I get a chance. Live viewing wouldn't do me much good if someone intrudes in the home or on the property but it does work for viewing home temperature, etc. when we are away.
Just some thoughts.
I am a retired technical type guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.