Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

network enabled light switch

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Hasn't happened for year or more have had where furnance would fail with blower on and in winter with cold air return, house does cool down. Had furance guy in and though had fault code unable the figure problem. No big deal, turning the power off and on cleared fault and furnance works fine (again been year or more since last happened). Issue is now going on holidays for a bit and thinking of all that could go wrong. Figure could get around possible furance problem with being able to do a remote reset if my NEST thermostat sent a email of reaching safety temperature.

Looks like the Belkin wemo light switch would work (load and feature-wise), looking for any other suggestions for simple wifi switch. Realize could go Zwave etc but rather avoid cost just for a single switch.

#3 ·
I wouldn't trust the furnace to a light switch. Traditionally, furnace switches had to be motor rated to handle 15A and at least 1HP, more for larger motors. Don't know how the furnaces with DC motors need to be rated. I would want at least a commercial grade switch rated at 15A. Some electronic light switches are rated for lighting loads only much lower than 15A.

Another factor to consider is internet security. Many internet devices are easily hacked due to weak or missing passwords. When considering an internet device, make sure it can be given a secure password and change it before exposing the device to the internet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.