Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Controlling multiple baseboard heaters and thermostats

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  gsjacobs 
#1 ·
Looking for some guidance here from those who have gone down this road before me...

I have a 1980's house that has electric heat via baseboard heaters. They are very effective, but are individually controlled with wall-mounted dumb thermostats. Turn the dial up, more heat. Turn the dial down, less heat.

I'd like to replace these (about half a dozen) with programmable units, so I can better control what gets heated and when. Simple programmable thermostats are fine, but if there's a system that "for a few dollars more" can let me connect them all and control them via a web interface I would pursue that instead. If nothing else, it would be a lot simpler to program from a website than trying to figure out the menus via the little buttons and switches inside most of these.

I have been doing some google searching, and it looks like Sinope (Home - Sinopé Technologies) makes well-regarded products, and they even have an API for third-party programming access.

Does anyone here have experience with Sinope? I'd like to know if their system absolutely needs a third-party website, or if it can be used entirely on the in-home intranet. My concern is Sinope (or the third party website) going out of business two years from now, or changing their business model and charging for the website, leaving me with an orphaned product. If it all works in a "standalone" mode that won't be a problem.

Any help appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have electric heat but I'm very happy with my z-wave thermostats and other z-wave devices (lights, switches, etc, from various manufacturers) all controlled from smartphone and/or web browser. Various manufacturers of z-wave thermostats I presume some do electric heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.