Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Arlo Wireless Security Camera Discussion

12K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  Jake 
#1 ·
In April I purchased an Arlo Wireless Security System from Best Buy on sale for $499 – the one with 4 cameras. It’s possible to purchase various packages with various numbers of cameras, but I found the 4-pack to be adequate for my needs and a decent value. The current BB price for the system is $599, but it goes on sale occasionally and will probably be on sale again for boxing week. Less expensive in Canada than the US! (Edit - have been on for $399, but offers come and go)

NETGEAR Arlo Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Security System with 4 720p Cameras - White - Only at Best Buy : IP Cameras - Best Buy Canada (Useful Videos)

Arlo Website: https://www.arlo.com/en-ca/

I had done some previous research on wired systems, but didn’t like the installation concerns of wired systems (or wireless powered) and I prefer the way video is “stored” on Arlo.

What do I like about the system?

- Adequate video quality (720P colour). People to whom I’ve shown videos are impressed with the quality, although I’m sure 1080P systems could be better.
- Ease of installation – took about 1 hour from opening the box to being fully operational (Tip - the cameras are screwed to the packaging with small plastic screws, so a screwdriver helps).
- Flexibility – although I put a wall mount in my garage, my other 3 cameras are simply placed on a shelf in various rooms and I can easily move these around as desired (something that’s very difficult with wired systems). The cameras themselves are quite small, discreet and good looking.
- Although I was concerned about battery life, the way I use the system means I’ll likely only need new batteries once a year. You can check battery life whenever you login.
- Arlo provide free video storage “in the cloud”. The free storage saves your videos for up to 7 days, up to 5 cameras and 1GB. Videos are automatically deleted from the cloud after 7 days. You can pay for more (up to 15 cameras and more days storage).
- You can easily download videos to your computer if you wish to keep them.
- Arlo provides “instant” notifications to phones/tablets and e-mails to computers when motion is detected on a camera.
- Arlo has a forum where owners can discuss numerous topics.
- Geofencing (Beta) is available, but I haven’t used it yet (I don’t have a Smartphone).
- Nightvision is adequate (B&W).

See less See more
#2 ·
Other comments:

- I control my Arlo system from my computer or iPad. (A phone app is available, but I don’t have a smartphone)
- I can programme various customizable “modes” for monitoring (although I find the one “away” mode to be adequate)
- I can access individual cameras for live streaming if desired.
- I purchased this system mainly for when I’m away on vacation. I occasionally turn it on if I’m only away for a few hours. My cameras are all “inside” and there is no motion detected unless there is an actual break-in. I have someone who checks my home if I’m away for extended periods and I can see him when he comes/goes.
- I can also turn individual cameras off, for example if I know when my home-sitter is coming.
- I have my base station connected to my Apple Airport Extreme Router in my office upstairs.
- The WiFi signal is good throughout my home, which is a small two storey with one camera in the garage and one in the basement.
- You can set the amount of time that the system will record after detecting motion (10 seconds to 120 seconds on each camera). I use 40 seconds which seems more than adequate. If new motion is detected on the same camera, then a new 40 second video is provided.
- You can fine-tune many other settings of the system such as video quality, sensitivity, etc.
- You can give other people access to your system if desired.
- I test the system/cameras about once a month by either turning the system on while home, or live-streaming a camera.

What would concern some people and preclude the purchase of such a system?

- Battery life/cost. The CR123 batteries are quite expensive, even in bulk online (C$3 each for top brands). Although not recommended by Arlo, some people use rechargeable batteries as discussed in the Arlo Forum. There are 4 batteries per camera. Battery life depends on the amount you use each camera. Arlo say 4-6 months battery life if you use each camera for a few minutes per day. The cost for a wired system would not be zero since power is required. This would offset the cost of batteries somewhat.
- No audio.
- Cameras are motion activated and like all motion-activated systems they turn on a second or two after first detecting motion, so they may not immediately catch someone walking into the room. I find their response time adequate. The only way around this would be “always on” systems.
- The system would not be recommended for anyone who has constant motion they wish to monitor.
- Since these are battery-operated, they may not function well in the cold (outside in winter). I have not yet had a chance to see how my garage camera functions in temperatures below 0C, but the camera was working fine at that temperature. A software update was sent in September to address battery life and cold temperature. If you wished to monitor the outside in winter, perhaps a camera placed near a window would do the trick. Edit - have used cameras in temperatures as low as -20C. The lithium batteries appear to do fine down to that temperature. Not sure about -40 as the specs call out for -20C

Based on 6 months usage, I can recommend this high quality, excellent-interface system to anyone who doesn't require the items listed above. It's also possible (and easy) to add a "powered & WiFi" 1080P camera like the Arlo Q to the system... (I may do that for my garage)

Reviews:

Netgear Arlo Security System (VMS3230) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-arlo-smart-home-security-kit/

#3 ·
I went with a powered wireless one (wireless, but with AC adapters).

I was looking at the Arlo ones.. but my two cameras to start, were going to be mounted OUTSIDE.. so as you said, not 100% sure on how they would preform.

My other concern was how they mounted. I know the basic ones are just magnet? With being outdoors, could be too easy to be removed.
It looks like they do have other mounts? But still were just basic screw on?

#4 ·
It may be obvious but it's very important to change the default camera (or any IoT device) password before connecting it to the network. Recent tests showed that security cameras with default passwords were compromised in an average of 6 minutes after being connected to the internet. Router firewalls may provide some protection but it's better to err on the side of caution. Recent massive DoS attacks have been launched from security cameras and similar devices that were turned into botnets.

We have a HIKVision security camera mounted outside. It's a PoE device and being outside was fairly easy to wire. Changing batteries would be more work since it's mounted 15' high. The hardware is good for the price but can't say anything good about the firmware.

#5 ·
I don't recall having to do any hardware-specific passwords with the Arlo system. Here's the start guide link:

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/Documents/Arlo_Wirefree/arlo_wirefree_system_installguide.pdf

User Manual: http://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/Documents/Arlo_Wirefree/arlo_wirefree_um.pdf

When I set up my Apple Extreme router, I did set up a good password... (I'm not a WiFi expert as you can tell) I also have a password to enter Arlo from my iPad or computer (I don't have a smartphone).

#6 ·
On first glance, it looks like the Arlo cameras use a proprietary connection to the base station. Many security cameras connect directly to the network and are exposed to the internet for remote monitoring. In this case, the Arlo base station would be the point of concern for security breaches. That's especially true if it's open to the internet for remote monitoring. The password needs to be changed from the default to something very secure.

#8 ·
Only if the Arlo port is not opened up for remote monitoring over the internet. For example, if an Arlo app is used for monitoring the cameras while away from home, then the Arlo base station is exposed. That's how hackers are breaking into IoT devices. They scan ports looking for accessible devices. When a device is found, they try default and commonly used weak passwords. They then exploit weaknesses in the software to install malware.

The Airport Extreme provides security only if the Arlo base station is not accessible from the internet. Once the internet monitoring port is open, it's up to the Arlo base station to provide it's own security on that port.

#9 ·
ExDilbert is correct.

Much like with my Swann one.. by default you cant access it from outside the home network, unless you port forward a specific port.

Luckily the base unit, during the initial setup, it forces the user to change from the initial password.

#11 ·
Another FYI: Arlo now has the Arlo Pro Camera system: (4-camera system for $899 at BB)

Rechargeable Wireless Security Camera: Arlo Pro | Arlo by NETGEAR

NETGEAR Arlo Pro Wireless Security System with 4 HD Cameras - White - English : Security Camera Packages - Best Buy Canada

100% Wire-Free (with plug-in option), Weatherproof, HD Quality, Rechargeable Battery with Quick Charge Technology, 2-way Audio, 130° Field-of-View, Night Vision, Advanced Motion Detection, Smart Siren*, Backup Local Storage* , and of course, Free Cloud Storage.
My batteries (CR123) have lasted almost a year and I've been able to purchase replacements for about C$3/battery, online. Each camera requires 4 batteries. Since the batteries are lithium, they work just fine in the cold of my unheated garage (down to -10C this year). I'm not sure how they would work at colder temperatures, but the specs on the Arlo Pro call for -20C to +45C.

It seems that Arlo have addressed many of the "shortcomings" of their system which I discussed in my review last year.

Edit - I've corrected my link for BB Canada - wait for the sales, when they are often 25%+ off...

#14 ·
@57
Sorry to drag up this older thread, but would like a question answered if possible.
My current swann one, they are not updating the software anymore, and its not allowing to download the video anymore... so kind of makes it pointless now.

Looking at getting the Arlo possibly.

So while the cameras are wireless.. are they connecting on their OWN Wireless network?
Is the arlo base station broadcasting another network for them to connect to, separate from your normal wireless network?

#15 ·
The Arlo cameras transmit to a base station that is plugged into my Airport Extreme Router, which is bridged to my Rogers Modem/Router in bridge mode. I hope that answers your question.

Arlo now have various versions of their cameras including 1080P, with audio and rechargeable, all of which were not available when I was purchasing two years ago. These are quite a bit more expensive though. The 4-Camera system that I purchased two years ago was recently on sale at Best Buy for $379 and I see them on sale quite regularly.

#16 ·
I have 4 of the Arlo Pro models and they have been working just fine....no issues connecting or viewing. Battery gets recharged every 3 or 4 months, and they are good to go.

The only thing that does not work too well, for me at least, is the Geofencing mobile function which is pretty much useless.

Additionally.....The new Arlo Pro 2 units will allow one to stream video 7 X 24, IF it is indoors and externally powered. This 'feature' however requires a fairly expensive on-line storage package conveniently offered by Arlo. The $$ can add up quite quickly for this option.

#17 ·
Picked up the base model, the same one 57 has.

Shame though there is zero options for power..

I am THINKING I may return them.. and go with the Pro.. BIG price increase.. but they have the option then for the external power..
As these will be outdoors for me.. and from what I have read.. extreme temps will train the power quickly..

Until I tweeked the settings, it already went down like 15% of the battery just testing things.

Now i am not 100% sure on these.. as the software seems to be really good for them so far.

#18 ·
I currently have 2 nestcam indoor and one outdoor. Been using them all for about 2 years now and work well. I also have one of the Nest smoke detectors.

The downside is they are wired, i use them as live view cams. A somewhat pricey subscription can be bought for saving recordings in the cloud.

I was looking to add another outdoor cam and one more indoor. Looked at Nest again but been looking at reviews of the Logitech Circle 2 cameras. Look to have all the features of both the Nest and Arlo. You can use the Circle 2 as a wired device / a wireless device and also totally wireless with rechargeable batteries. You can use the Logitech app and / or Apple Homekit. There are 3 plans for saving data. Free saves 24hrs (and you get unlimited downloads so you can save anything that happens.) the Basic plan gives you 14 days and is about 70$ / year for 5 cameras.

I saw that Bestbuy has a special on the 2 pack of Logitech Circle 2 cameras. I reserved one for pick up for today. Will review how i like them and if they are better than Nestcam. The Logitech website makes it seem easy to set them up. The Nest products were also easy to set up.

The same Logitech Circle 2 can be used both indoors and outdoors.

#19 ·
Apparently there are two versions of the Circle 2. There is a boxed set of 2 cams - battery powered - comes with a charger and extra battery. That was the one on sale. Did not get that one. There is a 2-pack with window mount kit for same price so i got that one.

Set up went well. Even easier than the Nestcam. One problem i ran across was almost as soon as the cam was running i got a system message saying there was a firmware update. So let that happen and after a few minutes got an error message about firmware could not complete. Said to check internet - working. Said to get within 10ft of router - was 4ft away. Camera tried to restart but could not get it back working. Was ready to box it up and return it. Then i read about the reset button and tried that. That fixed it.

Still not sure if i will keep it though. Picture quality is slightly better than Nest (both set to 720p) I hope there is a setting to adjust picture. About the only thing that bothers me is that bright lights really bloom in the picture. The Nest seems to compensate for that. The rest of the picture on the Circle2 is very good.

Other than that i like it. The view on the Living room cam looks more realistic. By that i mean view distance looks the same as if you were standing where the cam is. On the nest it looks like you are looking through a pair of binoculars backwards.

#20 ·
I compared all 3 when I was looking.
The Arlo, the Circle and the Nest.

Now I am wanting recordings, more than live view only.

Out of the box, the Arlo gives 7 days. The Circle 24hr, and I think the nest was less?

Comparing the 3 price wise.. for a 4 camera setup.. the Arlo came in like $100 or so more..

But all in all, i am very pleased with the Arlo.
Definitely worth going up from the REGULAR Arlo to the Pro.
The regular Arlo is regular batteries (though you can put rechargeable in them).. vs the Pro uses a bigger rechargeable battery pack.
Still only 7 days of recording via the cloud (without paying for more), but the Pro also has the ability for local backup. Drop a USB key or drive into the USB port. As well as the upload to the cloud, it will drop the files onto the USB key, until it runs out of room. So you could potentially have 30, 60, or more days all backed up on there.
(just to view, you need to unplug and view via PC)

#21 ·
Another advantage with the Arlo Pro and I presume the Pro 2....

You can add a solar charge kit if you want to install it in a remote or hard to access outdoor location. In theory this should much reduce ( or eliminate) the need to recharge the battery from a power source.

#22 ·
Yeah, i looked at those. A little pricey though.

I am running 2 of mine via power. They say generally to take the battery out if you are doing it that way.. but I want them to have a battery back up in there.. even short, if the power goes out.

The other two will be via battery for now, but they are in an easy accessible area, so not a big deal to get down.

#23 ·
I had given much thought to switching to ARLO. But from looking at reviews and user experiences turned me off of the system. There were many reports of Arlo customer service being terrible. The plans did look attractive compared to Nest for saving recordings. But i did not like the way live view worked. As far as i could see that the live view app would show all the cameras but it was just a still picture. You had to click on a camera to look at the live view. On Nest it shows all live cameras and they all active. You can then pick a camera to see a bigger picture. This is handy if you want to just have a quick over view of what is going on.

That said, i ended up returning the Logitech Circle2. One of the 2 cameras in the box went offline and did not come back. I had considered getting another standard Nest cam. Instead i got one of the newer Nestcam IQ. I currently have 1 nest outdoor. 2 nest indoor and 1 indoor IQ and also a Nest Protect.

Set up with the Nest IQ was pretty cool. As with the other nest products. Take a picture of the QR on back of device. But the IQ was even easier. After the QR step it "talked" to Nest protect. Got all the wireless info from it so i did not have to type in wireless info.

Arlo seems to have a great picture quality tho. And the free plan is better. But price of a multi-camera set up costs more. Local storage is nice except if someone breaks in and steals the Arlo Box. As far as i could tell Arlo only records when motion is detected. Nest is constant recording. (CVR) You can get CVR with Arlo but i think you need to have them wired for power so the wireless advantage of Arlo is negated. But if you compare CVR recording plans the Arlo is crazy expensive. $120/ year per camera.

I currently have 3 nest cams on the plan and it costs $50 for first cam and $30 for each additional cam.( 5 days of recordings saved)
So looking at it that way the Nest is not all that expensive after all. (these are yearly plans) 3 CVR cams on Arlo would be over $350.

Looks like you get 50% off for each additional camera on Arlo on same account. Still more expensive.

#24 ·
@Blintok. Totally agree that Arlo is well overpriced for their CVR plans....I suspect they will end up pricing themselves out of the market if they keep up with that type of approach.

I am curious however, how long the Nest will run in CVR mode before one needs to recharge a unit? or do they require being plugged in?

#25 ·
Nest cam are powered only. mini usb to usb and an adapter you plug in. The Nest IQ is on USB-C

as a shout out to Nest customer service. My brat Lovebirds shredded the power cable on one of the cameras.
Been using a shorter USB-mini to USB cable. But thought i should check in with Nest to see if i could buy a new one.

On August 17 i sent off an email to inquire about buying a new one. Fast forward to today - August 21 2018. A brand new cable and power adapter is on its way free of charge via UPS. Nest does not sell the cables or adapters but turns out they will send replacements for damaged parts. All that was required was to email a picture of the damage.

#26 ·
For those purchasing the CR123 Lithium batteries for their Arlo Cameras, I have the following comments:

1. Duracell batteries that came with the system died the fastest (they may not have been the freshest?):
2. Streamlight batteries, which I found on sale about a year ago, lasted a bit longer.
3. Energizer batteries lasted the longest, outlasting both Streamlight and Duracell by months. Due to my relatively low usage, several cameras lasted over a year with Energizer.
4. I see that some Streamlight vendors now say "not recommended for Arlo". They do work, not as well as Energizer, but if they were a really good price, I would purchase them again.
5. I usually check about once a month for sales and purchase if I see a good price. I've found the pricing on Amazon.ca to be the best for me with pricing for Energizers at just under $3/battery when purchasing 10-12, depending.
6. I have not tried the Panasonic brand as they have been 20% more expensive. I may give them a try next time to test if they beat the Energizers.
7. I have not tried any of the "off brands" or the rechargeable CR123s as they have had mixed reviews on the Arlo Forum and elsewhere.
8. The battery cost for my 4 cameras is therefore less than $50/year. YMMV.
9. Since these are Lithium batteries, they are not affected quite as much by cold temperatures. I have not noticed huge deterioration in my garage application, although it rarely goes below -10C in there. The cameras themselves are rated to -20C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.