Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

My vera 2 croaked -- vera edge?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gbuchana 
#1 ·
I've had a vera 2 since those were the latest thing. I had a power outage the other day and the vera seems to have stopped working -- the zwave functionality is kaput. I factory reset the vera and reset the zwave network but it still does not seem able to re-pair with anything.

I'll pull apart my vera 2 and see if there's an obvious problem with one of the power rails or something, but I am not hopeful. I am basically ready to give up on it.

So I am evaluating where to go next. I am considering getting a vera edge which looks to be a pretty-well drop-in replacement.

I am also thinking about getting a zwave USB stick and using openzwave on a unix server. Since the actual control logic I want to cater for is on the unix server anyway, it may be that the vera 2 was overkill all along.

Any opinions what I should do?

#2 ·
My personal opinion is that Vera is becoming really archaic. I'm using a VeraLite and I still can't upgrade past UI5. I give it a try every year or so (last tried UI7 a few months ago) but it's always a disaster.

I guess the question for you gbuchana is: are you looking for an immediate fix or a long term solution?

If it's the former then I'd get another Vera. You can probably locate one of the automatic backups by ssh'ing into it unless you've lost those with your reset. Or maybe you've copied a backup off of the box. In which case you can just probably restore and be up and going again.

But if it's the latter then I'd be inclined to wait. I think we're finally going to see this field take off thanks to Google, Apple, and Amazon. But who knows when we'll see new devices from Google and Apple - could be months or even years. And I suspect you don't want to be without for even weeks let alone months.

Personally if I were in your situation I'd look at getting the cheapest solution possible right now and only using it as a temporary solution until we see something that really breaks open this space from Google or Apple. Just my $0.02.

#3 ·
Thanks. Yeah I want to keep the price down. I am not heavily invested in zwave, but I'm not ready to start over. I really need something I can easily control from a unix server and the vera was okay-ish. What I really want is a decently reliable technology with about the sophistication of X10.

I'd like to get a $60 zwave USB stick and have a bash at OZW, but the clock is ticking and a replacement vera is ~$160 with a lowish barrier to get going again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.