Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Google Home

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Phils 
#1 ·
I found the announcement at I/O of Google Home very intriguing. Though it left me wondering :

1) Will it be available in Canada? Unlike Amazon, Google has a robust set of services here so I don't see why not.

2) How functional will it be for home automation? For example will it support Z-wave and other non-Zwave systems like Philips Hue? Hopefully it will support a lot more than just Nest. I'd like to see it replace my Vera though I don't see this handling my DSC alarm which connects to my Vera via USB.

3) Will it have a companion phone app because I like controlling my lights, thermostats, etc without having to speak to them. Particularly important if outside of the room or if controlling them remotely. But then again we have very minimal insight into its capabilities as a hub for home automation devices at this point.

4) Price? I'm guessing USD$199 or CAD$279! Still I'll buy it.

5) When they add multi-user support how will that work? Start identifying people by their voice or unique trigger words.

Looks interesting to me - glad to see them taking on the Echo. Which incidentally I would have bought if available in and with most of the same functionality in Canada.

H'mmmmm?

P.S. please spare any comments about "privacy". If you've got an Android phone you've almost got the same privacy concerns already.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sure multi user support will come right away, as that was highlighted in the video. Realistically, there isn't much needing to be done for that as phones and such already do that (fun fact - there were probably more than a few phones that went into voice recognition mode whenever "OK Google" was said during the keynote).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I'm in Toronto and have an Amazon Echo, the only thing you really can't do with it is use Prime music but it does work with Spotify with no problems. I seen the video for Google Home yesterday and it looks WAY better then the Echo in every way and with my hubby being visually impaired I'm sure it would be a certain purchase for us. I did think about if it would be available in Canada and I am kind of assuming it will be seems how we do have Google Music, Youtube and can buy Chromecasts, if Google really wants to get ahead of the Echo they will take advantage of the Country limitations.

Edit, here's the video I watched yesterday

Watch a video of Google Home in action | The Verge

#6 ·
Google Home from Black Friday brought to Canada

Without looking at other threads, just an FYI, I bought a Google Home in Atlanta on Black Friday sales for $99 U.S. - part of a promotion for ALL retailers from Google.
It does support Hue, Nest and SmartThings.
I really like it so far - even if just for the information. It looks great, and the speaker quality is excellent. I see it having a bright future.

...now if I could just figure out when Amazon Prime Streaming is being rolled out up here!

#7 ·
Echo Dot now active in Canada

In mid November 2017 the Amazon dot received full support for Canada. Uses Canada Postal Codes and local info. Works with Canada Amazon Prime. Using my Dot to communicate with wifi switches via "ewelink" and Sonoff S20 switches. Woks well.

#9 ·
I want to see them support other music services such as Spotify. Only supporting their own services sounds monopolistic. It's sort of like Microsoft only supporting their own browser in Windows. MS has been taken to court and been told to stop such practices on a number of occasions.

#12 ·
The normal Home is also $80 off.

I'm trying to convince myself whether I really need one. I have an nVidia Shield TV with Google Assistant for the living room which can easily be heard in my kitchen as well, but might consider one for the bedroom.

Maybe I'll grab a Mini to try it out.

#13 ·
H'mmmm, not impressed that Chamberlain/Liftmaster wants $13/year to link MyQ to Google Home. See: Automatic Garage Door Openers - Garage Remotes and Parts - Chamberlain

I paid enough for the device - don't want to be paying a monthly or annual fee on top of that.

Instead could maybe link it through the Vera controller. Anyone tried Vera Concierge? I'm not sure I like having to go through their cloud service.

#15 ·
We have both and each has it's own unique way of going things. The Google Home I find is better for listening to music has it has more bass, the Echo gives more detail when telling you things like the weather or current sports scores. The Echo also has lots of 'skills' you can set up through the app or website so you can listen to the news fairly much in any area or use it to play games or whatever you want to do, the app or site I find is easier to work with as well, the Google Home imo is more of a pain to use via the app or web. If you can you should try both, I would not give either one up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.