Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

IP camera accurate 50-70ft away?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  qwertyjjj 
#1 ·
We have a cottage in the country with a small river out front. In the summer, there is an issue with some boats speeding but they often go too quick to get their license number.
I'd like to catch them on film, not only to prove to the local association that there is a boat problem eroding river banks and fishlife but also to be able to name and shame the speeders.
Any ideas on a camera that could be used? We have no internet there so I'm guessing it would have to be some sort of PVR setup to a hard drive? Resolution could be an issue at that distance also - I don't want to spend too much on this.

#2 ·
Some surveillance cameras have optional lenses for different fields of view, such as wide angle for close up or narrow angle for more distant viewing. Can't make any suggestions on brands or models though. We use a HIKVision camera. Resolution and detail are good for still objects but moving objects tend to blur, making reading fine detail like license plates difficult. Not sure if that's a general problem but I suspect that it is with cameras that operate at 60fps. Mounting a wireless camera close to the river might be an option. Internet is not a requirement for an IP camera but some sort of wireless device such as a PC would be required to store the video.

#4 ·
Range would depend on environment (interference and obstacles), equipment, placement, etc. There is no reason why wi-fi shouldn't do 100' with line of sight and a relatively clear channel. It might be a good idea to camouflage the camera, like putting it inside a birdhouse or something similar.

#7 ·
Not a plate right? The registration is larger on the side usually but I know of no IP camera(cheap) that would do that. As was mention things are a littel blurry in motion. I don't think the HD cameras would do it but perhaps I am wrong. Costco has an HD Dlink for a reasonable cost. Range outside my home with Dlink is about 70 feet to a router in the lower level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.