Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How Many Switches, Lights, Receptacles on One 15Amp Circuit?

39K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Folks

yesterday I was checking the electrical panel and I found out that 15amp circle connect to 5 receptacles in the living room and 25 lights totally is 30 lights and receptacles, as my understanding in the Canadian Electrical Code the max is only 12 receptacles and lights.

note, all the lights are LED and every five pot lights under one switch. Do I need to count the switches or the lights because if it's a switch then it's 6 switches and 5 receptacles total is 11.

If it's not the switch then what is the solution! do I need to add 3 x 15 amp breakers in total and Do I need to open drywall to fix the issue?

the problem in the main floor so all the wiring in the attic and the panel in the basement. please I need your advice.

thank you for your time :) :smile

#4 ·
The code says 12. If you want to do a quality job, 8 is not a bad idea. Putting lighting on a separate circuit is also a good idea, if only to prevent 'blackouts' from high current appliances that overload a circuit. Other times, it's good to put far fewer receptacles on a circuit. I put in a separate circuit for the home entertainment system since the main A/V receiver can draw up to 12 amps (it's typically under 2 amps at moderate volume) and the other components draw a few extra. Any device that can draw 12 amps should be put on a separate circuit. That includes things like microwave ovens, which is mandated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.