Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How to choose a security system company

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gdkitty 
#1 ·
Hi,

I would to start a discussion on how to choose an Alarm System Company.
There are so many on the market so I'd like to know what are YOUR tips to select the provider.

#2 ·
I guess some of the criteria... and then what level of importance those criteria is for you.

Hardware: Wired or wireless.. wired don't have to worry about batteries, etc.. but can be more difficult in a finished house sometimes, etc.
Hardware: 'Other' compatibility. If you want it to be able to be usable possibly on another companies system later on (assuming you buy the hardware)
Connectivity: How the system connects. Just via basic phone line, internet, cellular.. failovers if it does.
Connectivity: How/IF it is internet connected. If you want to be able to use a phone, etc as a arm/disarm thing, or any other features.

Other features: If it can include security cameras, light controls, thermostat, etc... and if that is wanted to tie in / or necessary.
Other features: What sort ADDITIONAL things the system can do.. if its just basic arm/disarm, and contact on alarms, etc.. or if you want more programmability on triggered events, etc (like when the alarm goes off, record X many seconds, etc)

Price: look at what your AFTER promo monthly pricing will be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.