Apartment entrance security cameras - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-18, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Apartment entrance security cameras

Hello, nice to be back here since 2011 when I needed info on my first flat screen TV. The 2011 Sony 3D model 60" is still working great thanks!

Now I need security cameras for an apartment building front and back entrances indoors. I have never bought a security camera before.

23 suites so quite large. Front location is close to power and 20 ft from a computer and not sure if it is a wireless router.

Back door is 80 ft away from a computer and 40 ft from power and any cables would have to be surface mounted along a stairwell etc.

I can get away with just the front door entrance camera for now as that's where the mail boxes are.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

YA, I knew it might need local profesional advice for this one.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 06:07 AM

The front door cameras that are fed to the 200 condos in our buildings are supplied by our cable TV provider (Videotron). The apartment tunes to channel 78 directly on the TV or through channel 950 on a cable receiver.

In our case we have a contract for all our condos for TV services and the camera is provided at no extra charge.

Phil

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 07:16 AM
Veteran

If a building has more than one BDU (cable / fibe etc.) you might run into this problem:

Our building has Cogeco as it's cable TV supplier. They provide the front lobby camera and make it digitally available for those on cable.

Bell has added Fibe availability to our building recently but does NOT have access to that camera, so those on Bell Fibe don't have access to the camera.

Keep this in mind if you have multiple TV providers.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Interesting, our building has no main cable link to all suites, each tenant does their own thing. Telephone, cable, or satellite.

Might be worth a phone call to see if those services can be used just for a camera and what a monthly charge would be. Probably to costly as the years go by?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 03:02 PM
Rookie

Please check the video security system LV-KDV1402B6BP – 960H
from LaView with a number of options to suit your requirements.

The basic system has 2 cameras and a DVR unit and a hard disk
can be added as required. Power to the cameras is from the DVR
unit itself and the DVR connects to LAN for easy setup as well as
internet and has smartphone apps.

For the apartments, DVR has video output which can be fed to all
apartments through a video modulator on a free channel.

LaView website has several videos describing DIY installation and
I just purchased the system for home use as it is currently on sale
at NCIX.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

I'll check it out, thks.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 06:59 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableRules View Post
Interesting, our building has no main cable link to all suites, each tenant does their own thing. Telephone, cable, or satellite.
Is there a closet where all the Home Runs (coax) to Suites are terminated?

If so, it should be pretty easy to hook up a VDA (Video Distribution Amp) on the Video Output of the Computer and feed this signal to the Closet via a Modulator and inject it into the System.

This is effectively how Rogers and Bell TV do it in their own or shared buildings.

With a Cable system, the Provider will have to be asked to install a Channel Deletion Filter and a series of parts to prevent the Camera Signal going back out to the street via the cable plant.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 05:49 PM

If this is on Cable, and you have access to where the cable comes in and before it goes out to all units, you can add a modulator as a previous poster mentioned.

However I wanted to add that for digital cable where you now have set top boxes, the old modulators and channel deletion filters either don't work or take out way too many channels on the digital side of things.

Instead there are modulators available such as from Logenex, that can inject a true digital signal on the line and block just that channel, so you won't have any angry tenants.

But I'm thinking you may want to get someone in there to look at this. Running wires for cameras, getting the modulator hooked up and reviewing what all the tentants are doing, is likely too big for a do it yourself project.

Disclaimer: Employee of Aartech Canada
www.aartech.ca
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 10:03 PM

OP: You haven't made it clear if these cameras are simply feeding a DVR for recording, of if the suites need access to the image via their TV to see who is at the door.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Front door access is within 3 ft of power and 25 ft to a PC. Back door is completely different as no power or computer nearby.

I have nothing set up as far as recording etc, looking at the options. I don't need it for TV viewing for each tenant, just camera to a computer or recorder.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 03:17 PM

Use a hub/switch with PoE ports built in - these will power the cameras via the Ethernet cable. No need to run power.
IP cameras (Dahua is reasonably good if you can find them)
Network cable to the camera location, protected by some sort of conduit if surface run

Connect hub to computer and use software such as iSpy

Or substitute computer+hub for a standalone NVR. It'll be more reliable and probably use less power.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea, thanks.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-26, 04:57 PM
Veteran

Bell, Rogers, Videotron, etc ... are not going to allow you to touch their equipment. Trying to inject a modulated signal into the buildings distribution has to be done right, using the correct filters, or you're going to cause all kinds of interference and you might interrupt cable co provided services.

Since you want to do it yourself and provide this as a free service to your building, I would do this a more modern way and provide it as an internet feed of the cameras. This way everyone can use their smart phone, iPad, PC, and may new TV's have internet browsers built right in. All you would have to do is get a static IP number or use a domain with a dynamic DNS. You could also feed to a service like justin.tv Doing it this way will get around any issues you'd have with Rogers, Bell, etc and it'll be available to everyone.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-26, 08:54 PM

He already said he doesn't want it for each TV in the building, just to record onto one PC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in