Apartment entrance security cameras - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-03-28, 01:13 PM
Veteran

Some camera makers provide a cloud service for monitoring. That way, anyone with a PC, tablet or phone can see who is at the door. It might be a good idea to restrict access with a password.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-02, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I called the cable company and Telus. Shaw cable said they would run a static IP line for monitoring and I find the camera & system. $67 a month reduced to $40 for a short time.

Telus wants $108 per month on a 12 month lease to do the same thing hooking to a smart hub. I still find the camera and components.

I think I will just find a stand alone system with a monitor and DVR with the option of hooking up to an existing computer in the Mgrs suite.

I got a reasonable estimate at $466 for everything from a local computer store that has quality stuff at good prices. It is CCTV and not IP. This is for one camera at the front door. Back door I won't do right now.

This is for Mgr suite viewing only from one suite as I want it.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-02, 08:12 PM

$466 for an SD one-camera system?

Up your budget a little: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...001&CatId=4442

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-02, 08:14 PM
Rookie

That looks pretty good I must admit.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-03, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention I won't be using the MGR's personal comp as it has to be on 24/7 and don't want to be blamed for any repairs. Will the IP camera and NVR work plus a monitor to record without the internet? IS there a cost for the use of the video over the net?

The $466 includes a DVR recorder, CCT camera, monitor, cable. If I really want I will connect to the Mgr's Telus modem.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2014-04-03, 04:58 PM

Yep, the one I linked to has a VGA and HDMI port, as well as a USB port to connect a mouse for control.

There's no additional cost to access the videos recorded on the system. I'd connect it to the manager's modem, you'll only be grabbing short video clips from it anyway so bandwidth isn't much of an issue.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-08-01, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Our apartment building has been "converted" to Telus but we're with Shaw. Our security camera channel is now blank. Any idea how to get that back?
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-08-01, 04:34 PM

Your building management should be able to tell you the specifics for your situation, since it can vary from building to building.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in