Error 005 smart card currently does not have authorization(?) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-09, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Error 005 smart card currently does not have authorization(?)

Monday at about 3pm I got error 005, smart card currently does not have authorization to view or purchase this program(for any channels). Called Bell, was on hold for over an hour and first rep tried resetting stuff bla bla bla, said it'd all be fixed within two hours. Three hours later I called again, rep I spoke to this time said this was a common issue and was a mess up by Bell and they were working on it, but I wouldn't have any programming for at least 48 hours. WTF? They say it so non-chalant too like it's no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 08:31 AM
Member #1

Did you just swap your smartcard?

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Hey Hugh,

Nope, that was over a month ago I did that. Everything has been fine until Monday. I'll give a bit more details:
  • Programming went out Monday afternoon, gave me error 005.
  • Called Monday night at 6pm. Got disconnected couple of times, and was then on hold for an hour.
  • On phone with a rep for an hour. He verified software update is fine etc, he did some stuff, got me to run check switch, then said within 2 hours it'd be back up and working.
  • 3 hours later I called back as still not working. This rep said that there was a system outage at Bell, and that it would take 48 hours for programming to return.
  • Called again Tuesday afternoon as my error had changed to a 129. This rep did some stuff with my account, asked me to do the check switch and said it'd all be fixed within 2 hours.
  • 4 hours later, was back to the error 005. Still no programming during this time. Called Bell again, this rep said there was still a system outage at Bell, but he did some stuff with my account, told me to do check switch and that after two hours programming would be back.

Of course, still no programming and getting the error 005. And it just seems weird that there is apparently a system outage at Bell and "lots" of people are apparently without programming, yet I haven't seen one post about it on any forum

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 08:58 AM
Rookie

Interesting, I got the same error on Tuesday. So far 3 calls, virtually identical troubleshooting each time, and each call ended with them telling me that an update will be sent to my receiver in 15 minutes to 2 hours. The last rep conceded it could take up to 24 hours and it is a common issue right now. So far nothing.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 09:20 AM
Member #1

I thought I had heard of error 005 before and searched the forum. Came up with 05 but that was a different problem. Then it dawned on me, that I had received the same message several months ago.

Can I assume you guys both have the 9242?

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I have the 9200.

Exact message for error 005 btw is:

Your smart card does not currently have authorization to view or purchase this program. Please wait or channel up or down.

Of course, that's all channels. On a couple I will get audio but no video for about 3-5 seconds, and then that message pops up and audio cuts out.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 10:06 AM
Member #1

Quote:
The last rep conceded it could take up to 24 hours and it is a common issue right now. So far nothing.
My advice is to keep calling. My suspicion is this is a problem with their billing system and its mistakenly shutting down subscribers

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Called again. Apparently there is some big re-authorization problem going on, and it has caused the system to be swamped. She said there has been tons of e-mails floating around about the problem, and the latest one she got was that as of 20 minutes ago, it would be a 72 hour delay. Wheee, how I love going at least 5 days without programming.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 11:16 AM
Member #1

Very interesting. So its either billing or Bell sent out some type of ECM (electronic counter measure) that blew up on legit subscribers.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I am thinking it's the ECM, because I've got one other receiver up in my kids room, and that is working fine. I'd assume if it was a billing issue then all my receivers would be out.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 02:23 PM
Member #1

Hard to say, the fact that I had it several months and the fact that more people are not screaming about it here suggest it wasn't an ECM. When ECM's nail legit folks we usually get a raft of posts

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

That's what I'm surprised at - the lack of posts. I mean it's a very very long wait to get through to tech support every time I have tried, and they said tons of people have been affected by this, yet there's not a lot of posts on it. Weird.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 03:14 PM
Rookie

Mine's the 9200, and same error. Just got off the phone with "level 3 tech support" who said that this is a known issue happening nationally to some receivers. They are sending me a new smartcard and said my original one may get fixed automatically in the meantime (3-5 days). I also have a 5900 that is unaffected. I asked if I can put the card from the 5900 into my 9200 while I wait the week for the new card to get here. He had me switch it and will give it a shot. Said it will take 45 minutes to update, so we'll see.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 01:13 AM
Rookie

Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed yet? So far I've called Bell twice, and I am now waiting another hour (2 hr wait) before I have to call again. it's nice to have no TV and still be paying for it... *dripping sarcasm*. It's bad enough I've had a zillion problems with Bell, beginning with day one of installation, and I've only had my account with them a month.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubunny View Post
Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed yet? So far I've called Bell twice, and I am now waiting another hour (2 hr wait) before I have to call again. it's nice to have no TV and still be paying for it... *dripping sarcasm*. It's bad enough I've had a zillion problems with Bell, beginning with day one of installation, and I've only had my account with them a month.
And that's why I just switched to Cogeco

Too much BS to keep putting up with. I've been with Bell since '96, and it's just been getting worse and worse and worse...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in