End of rental period buyout - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

End of rental period buyout

My rental contract on my 6100 is over in 6 weeks or so. I was wondering what the price is to buyout the receiver at the end of the contract?? I figured that since they are selling them off so cheap that the buyout may be cheap.

Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 08:23 PM

I will guess they will offer to sell it to you for $299, or not at all
Call and give it a try
To be honest, I don't think they do "buyouts" on rental receivers.....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 08:34 PM

I have never heard of a buyout. Let us know what they say.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 08:40 PM
Veteran

You can not buy the unit you are renting... rental unit are refurbished receivers

At the end of contract you have the option to continue to rent it (and pay that 10$/month) or to buy a new unit at 299$ and return the rental one

You might get a better deal buy going to autorised dealers like Best Buy and Future Shop

You might want to also consider that 6100 is MPEG2, and EV plan on going MPEG4 by 2009...might be better to continue renting until the 6141 are out or get a 9242

I answer based on what I learned when I was working at BEV...it's possible that somethings have changed since then
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 08:42 PM

Agent, could he, as an existing Customer, buy a refurbished 6100 for $149 and then ship back the Rental unit.?

Or better yet, get one from Best Buy for $49...?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 08:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Agent, could he, as an existing Customer, buy a refurbished 6100 for $149 and then ship back the Rental unit.?
This is something offered to clients that are out of warranty and have a defective unit, so no he won't be eligible. It's 49$ for no PVR and 149$ for PVR

Quote:
get one from Best Buy for $49...?
If it's a promo that applies for existing clients yes... I'm not sure that they actually verify at Best Buy, he could always try to pretend

I answer based on what I learned when I was working at BEV...it's possible that somethings have changed since then
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 12:17 PM

Quote:
At the end of contract you have the option to continue to rent it (and pay that 10$/month) or to buy a new unit at 299$ and return the rental one
Web states that all the HD and the PVR $299 units are all refurbished.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 12:33 PM
Veteran

6100 and 5900 new receivers are 299$
9200 were at the regular price 599$, since they are discontinuing it they might make some deals on refurbished

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 04:18 PM

according to the web page there are refurbished (maybe you meant newly refurbished)
http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpTv...t_Landing.page
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 06:38 PM
Veteran

I just looked at the site and you are right...they are refurbished

My advice then : DON'T BUY THEM FROM BELL, you are geting screwed, buy them from autorised retaillers like Future hop or Best Buy. 299$ for a 6100 or a 5900 is the price of a brnd new unit, not a refurbished!!!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 07:46 PM

Here is my story:
My contract was up back in December. Since the $10 promo was going to be over I wanted to return the rental 6100 and buy one used from here or another buy and sell site. When I called Bell to tell them this they offered to extend the $10 promo for another year. I accepted.
I have another HDTV with old 3100 (I own that one). I looked at Best Buy's $49 sale but that was for new customers only. Then just before Christmas FS had refurbished 6100 on sale for $120. I bought it, it came with everything including the dish, mounting brackets and LNBs. I did not need any of these as the existing dish already had everything.
When I called to activate it Bell rep said that this unit is covered under 2 year warranty from Bell which I find hard to believe (should have asked for an email confirmation). It does have one year from FS.
I hope this helps you make a decision.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 07:58 PM

I have never heard of a 2 year warranty period from Express Vu. Me thinks the CSR was being liberal with the truth.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 08:10 PM
Veteran

Anytime I need a good laugh, I just come the the EV forum. Two year warranties, refurbs to replace new units, billing errors, coffee stained Dish remotes sold as new EV units, billing errors, incompetent CSRs, billing errors, piracy, over compression and of course, billing errors.
No wonder the FS salesman advised me not to get the "full HD experience" from Bell, not that I needed any convincing.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 08:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
When I called to activate it Bell rep said that this unit is covered under 2 year warranty from Bell which I find hard to believe (should have asked for an email confirmation).
All receivers are warrantied one year. After that period they will offer you to suscribe to Dish Care, their extended warranty that cost 6$/month

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ77 View Post
Anytime I need a good laugh, I just come the the EV forum. Two year warranties, refurbs to replace new units, billing errors, coffee stained Dish remotes sold as new EV units, billing errors, incompetent CSRs, billing errors, piracy, over compression and of course, billing errors.
No wonder the FS salesman advised me not to get the "full HD experience" from Bell, not that I needed any convincing.
Where do you normally hang out on this web site because my sides hurt so much most days I could use a thread that has less hilarity......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in