ExpressVu 3100 + DVR-650 HK hook-up question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

ExpressVu 3100 + DVR-650 HK hook-up question

Good day all,

I recently got a nice Pioneer DVR-650 hk unit, in the process of installation I have discovered that the recommended (in the DVR manual) hook-up is to have the satellite signal going into the DVR first, then link the DVR to the 3100 reciever. They say that this is the hook-up method which allows you to record one channel while watching another.

Problem is, with this set-up, it appears the satellite signal is not being processed thru the dvr unit - I get a "signal not found" error.

When I run it thru the 3100 reciever first, it works fine, but I cannot watch another channel while recording.

I have 2 cables coming off of my dish, they go into a multiswitch and I have one reciever upstairs, and one downstairs - could this be part of the problem?

ANy help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

TJG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 09:57 AM

The DVR does not have an Express Vu Tuner, so you cannot connect through it.

I think if you read the Manual again, it will say to connect your Cable feed into the DVR first, I imagine the DVR has a cable Tuners. If not it is a misprint.

You can only connect the outputs of the 3100 to the DVR, you will NOT be able to watch one show and record another because you only have one Tuner for Express Vu.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I see what is going on - I re-read the text and what it seems to say is if "most of your channels are unscrambled, use this option" (DVR>SAT>TV), the alternate being SAT>DVR>TV "if most of your channels are scrambled".

One other thing, when I set a timer on the 3100 to "VCR a program", in my DVR manual, it states that once you have set a timer on your 3100, go to the auto timer in the DVR menu and activate it, but when I do this it seems to start recording shortly after I exit the menu, and way before the timer is set to start. I checked my 3100 manual, and all they have in the VCR code losts are DVD players, the code does not seem to do anything in the test. Does anyone know if this simply does not apply to DVRs?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 11:32 AM

Quote:
SAT>DVR>TV "if most of your channels are scrambled".
I would go as far as saying ALL your channels are scrambled. Without an Express Vu receiver you will not get any picture at all.

I do not know how the DVR would be able to work in "auto" mode, as it cannot talk to the Express Vu box at all.

I could only suggest setting a manual timer on the DVR to coincide with the 3100.

There maybe some kind of IR blaster on the 3100 that could trigger the DVR but I think you would need the DVR to recognize the signals being transmitted by the 3100.

I think you have a lot of research to do to get this to work like a 5900......
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I have a lot of research to do indeed, I've only had the unit out of the box for 2 days now - I still have a ways to go.

Thanks for the feedback!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 11:39 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Some DVD recorders can "sense" when there is a signal to "input 1" or whatever input you're using for the S-video or composite connection from the STB. This starts the recording process. The recording process stops when the signal is stopped.

Unfortunately, many STBs are always "active", sending a signal out that port, so this may not work and you'll need to set a second timer on the DVD recorder as well as the one on the STB.

As indicated earlier, the DVD recorder needs to be "downstream" of the STB. See also the following:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 05:02 PM

I have the Expressvu 6100 HD box and just got myself the Pioneer DVR 550H-K and hooked it up last night. I played around with different ways of recording and this is what I found.

First, I programmed the vcr button on my 6100 remote to accept the Pioneer 'vcr' code listed in the 6100 manual. The second code worked for me (573). The Pioneer manual states that the STB can only control the record function of the dvr, therefore don't expect it to power down the dvr during the test. It did however start and stop a test record and flashed messages regarding this (ie 'Your machine should now be recording'). You also have to enter the code in the STB setup menu not just in the remote control to use the 'vcr a program' function in expressvu.

As I stated above, the Pioneer manual states that the STB can only control the go/stop function of the record on the dvr. It cannot turn the machine on/off. HOWEVER, the manual does say that the STB can send a signal to the dvr via input 1 and have it auto record (after you go into the dvr's home menu and set it to auto record). Like you, this did not work for me. I programmed the 6100 to 'change to the channel' when the program was to start (did not "VCR" the program), then turned off the 6100 and programmed the dvr to auto record (wait for the signal). The bloody thing shut down and then 5 secs came on and started recording. So I agree with 57, the STB is somehow constantly sending a signal to the box and triggering it to record. Therefore, don't use auto record.

Next I tried 'timer' record. I programmed the 6100 once again to go to a channel at a later time and programmed the dvr to start recording at the same time. This worked....BUT a real strange thing happened. The audio was ahead of the video when I watched it this morning. In other words, it was like watching a badly dubbed chinese movie. I stopped the playback and flipped back to regular tv (via line 1) and the audio/video for the tv playback was also messed up. I fiddled around with some audio output setup but it did not help. I then changed back to regular tv (changed input on my tv) and went back to regular tv via the STB...everything was fine. I flipped back to line 1 tv - everything fine. Then flipped back to the recorded show - everything fine. I changed the audio output setup back to the defaults and still everything was working fine. I'm not sure what caused the audio and video to be off but in the end, it worked like normal.

Tonight, I am going to try to program the STB to VCR the program (I'll leave my dvr ON). I think this should work. I would just stay away from auto record function.

Let me know how it goes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 07:27 PM

Keep us informed as to how this recording goes, your post will be very helpful to others.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 07:01 PM

I programmed the STB to VCR the program, left the DVR on and it worked like a charm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in