Procedures for Buying and Selling of BTV Receivers - See Post 1 - Page 45 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #661 of 669 (permalink) Old 2018-04-26, 09:33 AM
Veteran

I don't think you can.

A while back a relative gave me their old Dish network receiver but the bell rep was not able to add the receiver to my account, possibly because it was not in bell's inventory. Secondly, Dish dishes point to different birds in the sky than what bell uses so their receivers are also programmed to look for different birds than what the bell receivers are designed to receive and there is no known way to reprogram a dish receiver to look for 91 and 82 degrees, vs dish 110 and 119 degrees
lastly, im quite sure the answer is no
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 669 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 11:34 AM
Rookie

I have a 4700 and a 3500 receiver from before I went to HD at my home with 6131 receivers which have been working well for several years. Is it possible to install one of my old receivers at my cottage and bring one of my smart cards from the 6131 receivers to the cottage and use it in the old receiver when I go to the cottage. Will it work? Is it legal? I pay Bell enough for my service at home and I'd like to think its portable by bringing the card with me and sticking it into another receiver.
post #663 of 669 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 11:41 AM

Is it legal? Technically no. Only one location allowed.

Swapping smart cards between receivers does not work. However you should be able to activate the old receivers from your account. Or just try hooking them up and wait for them to update. Unless you called bell to remove them they should still work.

post #664 of 669 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 12:01 PM

Bell may or may not reactivate the old box's, try via the Web Site, see how that goes.
post #665 of 669 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 01:08 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpela View Post
Is it legal?
No, it is against the terms of the agreement with Bell. If Bell calls your location and you are unable to provide the numbers on the screen (Location ID) for all of your activated receivers, they may shut you down, or leave only one box active. See:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/10-...receivers.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #666 of 669 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 01:09 PM
Veteran

I've got to wonder if it's even worth activating 4700 and 3500 receivers. As I recall, these are SD models. Some channels are HD only so it will limit what can be watched. Channels that are available will be low quality and present issues such as letterboxing on HDTVs.

One option would be to simply take a 6131 to the cottage when you travel there. If the dish and wiring are identical then it won't even need a check switch. Another option would be to rent or purchase another receiver, either new or used.

According the Bell, the location must be changed every time a receiver is moved. If there is only one receiver on the account this is not an issue except for billing purposes. Having more than one receiver in different locations is against CRTC guidelines and requires a second account. That's because cable companies complained about satellite companies having an unfair competitive advantage due to free cottage accounts. Then broadcasters chimed in about losing revenue. (Note that this policy is directed at Shaw Direct. Shaw Direct once provided a free second dish but now discounts the second account. Bell and cable companies typically charge full price for a cottage account.) The requirement of a second account for the cottage is more about Canadian broadcasters and BDUs gouging customers than anything else.
post #667 of 669 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 02:33 PM
Rookie

If I could get some OTA reception I would go that route, but there is nothing available without a high tower and large antenna. Having just SD is fine at my off- grid cottage. I think I can buy a used 6131 receiver off Kijiji for about $70 and a dual LNB dish for about $30. There is no phone service there so I can't attach a phone line like I do at home. How will this affect it's operation?
post #668 of 669 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 03:37 PM
Veteran

Not being on a phone line will not affect the day to day operation for satellite TV service. It will affect PPV service. Just don't buy any PPV programs. Connecting the receiver to the internet for VOD could be an issue. It is also used for location and is a substitute for connecting it to a phone line. To avoid that use a media box, smartphone or other supported device for watching VOD. Using a smartphone or tablet away from home is perfectly legitimate. It may limit the available programming.

The one issue that might come up is Bell calling to verify receiver location. That happens infrequently and usually for people with many receivers. All that will happen is that the receivers that cannot be verified will become inactive after a time. In order to activate them, simply call back when they can all be verified.
post #669 of 669 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 04:05 PM
Rookie

No internet service at my cottage unless I install Explorenet. I think I know what to do now. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in