Swapping smart cards. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-03-01, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Swapping smart cards.

Bear with me if this sounds silly.

I had a person I know ask me a question about swapping a smart card from a 4100 to a 9500 receiver.

Seems some how he broke the smart card from his 9500. I have no idea how he did such a thing (possibly trying something he shouldn't have). Now I told him that he would have to contact Bell and return the broken card to get another one. He wants to try swapping the card from the 4100 he has on his account to the 9500 and hope that would work. I told him I didn't think that that would work as the 4100 is SD and the 9500 is HD and a PVR and not to try in case he damaged that card and was left with no working receiver at all.

But his question did get me to thinking: Can you do this? Can you use/swap a smart card from a 4100 or other SD receiver to a 9500 or other HD receiver if both are on the same account??

I know, silly question. But would appreciate any answer especially if I was right in telling him that he couldn't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-03-01, 01:24 PM
Veteran

The receiver and card are paired. They cannot be swapped. I wasn't aware that it would damage the card though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-03-01, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That is what I told him. Not sure if the cards would get damaged with the swap, but why risk it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-03-02, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor12 View Post
Seems some how he broke the smart card from his 9500. I have no idea how he did such a thing (possibly trying something he shouldn't have).
Another issue with the 9500 receiver is that the smart card is exposed, unlike the previous pvr's that always had the smart card hidden behind a door.

Unfortunately if you have an adventurous child...it's quite possible for them to pull the card out especially if the receiver is placed low.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2020-03-02, 11:47 AM
Rookie

You can swap the cards, they exactly the same, but it is not going to help, the receivers comes paired with smardcards. Solution with broken card is the following: call bell and tell them that tech told you that you need a smartcard replacement, they will say that they gonna send a new card by mail, but there will be a charge of 65$, but when they get broken card back the charge will be dismissed. Once the smartcard arrives they have to plug it in and wait few minutes, if after 15-20mins it is still says "not autorised" then call sly dish to get a hit. Another option is if receiver is on warranty then swap it altogether with a smartcard to the new one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 10:14 AM
Veteran

the problem I had was my 1 year old found out how to open the smart card door and remove the card and hide it on us. this was very frustrating at times

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in