intermittent transponder signal loss - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-11-28, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

intermittent transponder signal loss

Hey folks need some help,
I have had Bell Satellite for over 20yrs been pretty happy but have an issue I can't figure out. I am getting an intermittent signal failure on some transponders on all of our bell receivers. primarily it seems to be Sat 82 Transponders 17, 29 and a few others in the low twenties. For example I am getting 100 for signal strength on transponders 28 and 30 but 0 on 29? then later it comes back with no issues. I have done a check switch, and it comes back OK, I have unplugged the power to the SW44 switch waited a minute and plugged back in this seem to solve the problem temporarily? any ideas? is it a bad Switch or bad LNB or cables? It was working fine with no issues and this came out of the blue and been happening for the last 2 weeks. Bell Support wasn't much help, I think I knew more about the system than she did...
thanks in advance for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-11-28, 02:36 PM
Veteran

If you have had Bell for 20 years, how old is the coax there?
If coax has never been replaced, without any test equipment available I would probably start by cutting the connectors off at both ends of the run, and terminating with good quality PPC RG6 connectors. If in doing so u see any signs of water ingress, you may have to cut the coax back further to get past the point of water ingress before refitting with new RG6 connectors.
https://www.ppc-online.com/ex-series...ble-connectors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKbr-UgmRIg

How has the weather been the last few weeks? Any storms that may have disrupted?
If none of that helps, ya might need some antenna alignment too.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-11-28, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Cable is only about 5 yrs old replaced it as I thought it might be time to do that due to age but will inspect it

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-01, 11:14 AM

Is anyone else having reception problems with Bell Sat? Yesterday a number of channels were not available.... CBS Boston was available..the other Boston stations were not.. Perhaps it is the bad weather in the US affecting over the air reception as Bell does receive many channels ota and on direct feeds before transmission to the sats from Toronto. A number of Canadian stations were also not available. Equipment seemed to be functioning correctly. Have not checked this morning.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-02, 10:00 AM

I had to go out and melt the ice off my dish yesterday. Other than that not noticing any channel issues.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-03, 04:00 PM

Apparently the problem is with Bell equipment in the building and a tech is due today to repair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in