Temporarily Unavailble but strong Signal - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-17, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Temporarily Unavailble but strong Signal

My dish is telling me that my signal is temporarily unavailable although when I go to the point dish feature I am well over 85 for signal strength any help would be great thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-17, 09:35 PM

Is it pointing at the correct satellite. You could have a strong signal from the wrong satellite.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-17, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevlin View Post
Is it pointing at the correct satellite. You could have a strong signal from the wrong satellite.
Yes it is. I should have mentioned it’s been working fine for years. Just In the last week it’s telling me about the signal being down but when I trouble shoot it’s showing my signals being perfect. So when I close it out it says 0 of 5. Confused I guess. I even tried a check switch and it came back with less satellites so I didn’t save.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-17, 10:01 PM
Veteran

Is the message being put up by the receiver or could it a message inserted by Bell at the head end?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-17, 10:20 PM

If it is seeing less satellites, then one of the satellites is not being seen. Do you see both satellites on point dish screen? Perhaps a tree has grown to block one of them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Is the message being put up by the receiver or could it a message inserted by Bell at the head end?
Its a receiver message. It came back randomly again last night. Didn’t do a thing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevlin View Post
If it is seeing less satellites, then one of the satellites is not being seen. Do you see both satellites on point dish screen? Perhaps a tree has grown to block one of them.
Both 91 and 82 are showing a good signal. I feel like it’s a receiver issue. I’m pretty stumped.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 06:04 PM

Could be the bad capacitor issue. Do a search of this site you will find many issues and which capacitors are the bad ones.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 05:59 PM
Rookie

The capacitors in front of your tuner(s) have failed. If it's a dual tuner, there are 8 capacitors that you need to check. If it's a single tuner, there are 3 capacitors that you need to check.

If you need a hand, let me know, i repair receivers.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-07-25, 04:14 PM
Veteran

That message is the standard generic error message from the receiver. It doesn't tell you a thing.

I had that message one evening in late May. Signal strengths were OK but not great on both inputs (9242 receiver). Given that that GTA was having a deuce of a thunderstorm that evening, I assumed that the problem was at the transmission end. By the next morning the signals were back to normal and haven't wavered since then so I haven't looked into it any further.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-08-25, 10:06 AM

I had the same issue with a rental 9241. Tried a 6131in same spot an no issues. Figured it was the 9241 and had it replaced. Same issue with replacement 9241.ended up being the power inserter for my old sw44.

Am I getting new Sony?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-04, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

So it’s happening Again. Same issue . Turn on TV channel works as soon as I try to change the channel it gives me the “ temporarily unavailable” wrap. Signal on 91 is 87 and signal on 82 is 88. This has been happening for about a week. Also my TVs downstairs don’t seem to be affected at all by this. They work fine. I tried a check switch and it said it found less satellites. This was done when no channels were working and I didn’t save the settings. Also to note one of my TVs downstairs runs to the same dish as the not working receiver.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-12-05, 05:06 AM

You have to save when you have run a Check Switch, otherwise nothing has ghanged as far as the receiver is concerned.

Try the Check Switch with NO cables on the input, save that result, this will force the receiver back to a default state, then connect cable and run again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in