Will Bell Ever Do This? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-15, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Good luck getting support or help for tuning antenna on your satellite receiver. The call centre offers very little help for solving problems for antenna issues and since most of their boxes don't support antenna its likely not worth it for them to continue supporting it down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-15, 01:02 PM

Here is the direct link for those that can't see the embedded video (me included)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcDdgoqRncA

The reason that Dish is promoting "free" OTA TV is that the U.S. broadcast regulations are considerably different than Canada. In the U.S., cable/sat. companies are required to pay each local station for carrying their signal, at a price they negotiate. TV Providers are only allowed to show local signals - they are not allowed to show distant signals, so there is no such thing as time-shifting. Finally, carrying a local signal is optional and so is subscribing to them.

For example, Dish has a Flex Pack with a pre-set list of specialty channels for $35/month. You can add the locals for your area for $12/month and you can also add additional themes of specialty channels. If you use an OTA antenna, you can receive the signals for free, you don't have to pay Dish for the locals and Dish doesn't have to pay the OTA station. Dish makes it easy for their customers to do that by selling a dongle that plugs into the newer sat boxes, which integrates the guide and allows recording. Some of Dish's other packages automatically include the locals, so there is little advantage to using an antenna.

In Canada, the Copyright Act states that cable/sat providers can transmit all local OTA stations for free (both Canadian and American.) They pay a small copyright fee for distant stations which they can transmit as time-shifted stations. The CRTC generally limits the American networks to one local and one distant, but there is no limit on Canadian networks. In 2010, the CRTC proposed a fee-for-carriage (FFC) or value-for-signal (VFS) similar to the American one, but the Supreme Court ruled that they did not have the jurisdiction to overrule the Copyright Act.

Canadian cable/sat providers are also required to carry local Canadian stations in all their packages including "skinny basic." They aren't required to carry U.S. locals, but they generally do, so there is little advantage to having an auxiliary OTA antenna compared to the U.S. situation.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-15, 01:23 PM
Veteran

Very true. Dr.Dave is right I received all the channels I would normally on Antenna on my satellite package when I was a customer. anyways there is no advantage to getting a lot of antenna stations when you have satellite. Now if your a chord cutter it's a different story.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-15, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan
Why would Bell bother with the OTA tuner when every new tv has got one.
Because you can't immediately record programs if you use the OTA tuner in the TV - you have to add another device. It's nice to have the OTA input on the receiver so recording integrates with the other BELL channels.

elyk
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-15, 01:41 PM
Veteran

Well, it may be nice but if Bell had followed Dish Network technology then we would have had whole home PVR or something like Sling tv and that would have been really nice. Unfortunately Bell is losing satellite customers so most likely Bell has no interest investing in new innovations like they do with Bell Fibe Tv.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-15, 09:17 PM
Veteran

Bell's current satellite receivers are just stripped down models of 10 year old Dish receivers. Dish's satellite receiver technology has gone so far beyond what Bell currently sells it makes Bell look they're in the satellite stone age. Even Dish has seen the writing on the wall and is moving into IPTV. Bell's betting all their chickens on fibre to the home but it's going to take some time before the build out is complete. By then, satellite TV will be obsolete in all but the most remote areas of Canada.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-16, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Why would Bell bother with the OTA tuner when every new tv has got one.
Maybe Bell doesn't care by I do that you can PVR the OTA channels. Does your TV have built in PVR?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-16, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Yes, I have OTA PVR and I don’t need Bell’s outdated hardware with no EPG data to enjoy OTA channels.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-16, 09:21 AM
Veteran

just buy your own Antenna PVR and PVR the Antenna channels. it would probably be more robust and more reliable than the one bell has on select receivers. I get it, people want to PVR Antenna channels, the one that bell gives is a "nice to have" but its not a full fledged PVR for Antenna channels.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-16, 05:11 PM

I tried once to buy an OTA PVR but the only ones available where the Bell ones. Point me at a stand alone OTA PVR that does not require a subscription or an internet connection.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-16, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

There's only one flaw in this entire thing. Unless your close enough to the US boarder to pick up a good strong clear steady signal even in bad weather its pointless in getting this adapter?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-16, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevlin View Post
I tried once to buy an OTA PVR but the only ones available where the Bell ones. Point me at a stand alone OTA PVR that does not require a subscription or an internet connection.
Some of Channel Master models will work without internet and still provide guide data, but I am not sure about all of them. Most of others will work without internet or any subscription just like Bell 9242 PVR.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-16, 09:07 PM
Veteran

Availability of guide data depends on the station. US stations often have 24hr of guide data. Canadian stations are a lot weaker in that respect. I've yet to get more than 2-3 hr of guide data, if anything, with stations near here. That's with PC software PVRs. Don't know about the CM models. I ended up subscribing to Schedules Direct. It's US$24/yr but is better than the guide that Canadian BDUs provide.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 05:22 AM

I could be wrong but the very first Bell HD Receiver, the 6000, had a port at the rear which in the US of A, was for an OTA Module. These were being installed by Bell Customers and allowing them to get OTA and Bell on the one STB, a great idea back in the day.

Bell however, never endorsed the Module and if an Installer went to a fault on a 6000 STB and a Module was installed, he would first remove it and then troubleshoot the issues. The 6100, had the OTA Tuner built in, along with the 9200 and subsequently the 6141 & 9242 models.

Again, I could be wrong but I think the 9200 would scan for analog and the 9424 did digital as well? The 9242, was IMHO the best unit Bell have ever put out. OK they did have hundreds shipped out from Echostar with the Case Fan running in reverse, causing massive overheating issues....lol

In this new Digital age where there are just so many ways to get the same channel, having one STB to do it all, is long gone.

There were lots of 'additions' that were available to Dish Customers that just never made the leap to Canada, additional storage space via a port on the rear of the 5100, 5800, 5900 PVR's for example. It must have been almost 10 years ago, at a Bell Roadshow, we were promised the radical new Dish Hopper & Joey, solution. I set one up in an Office at Wynford Road. Dozens were installed across Canada, for the Bell Top Brass, while the paying public got ZIP.......

Oh, what might have been.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 09:25 AM

When I had a 9242, the integration of the OTA tuner was great. It had no guide data, but since I live in view of Buffalo, NY, it gave me the option to add all the Buffalo stations and record them (as Bell only provided Boston, MA feeds for the east coast). It also provided me with all the sub-channels in Buffalo with PVR capability.

I can see why Bell doesn't offer this capability anymore - it led to me ditching Bell altogether and buying an OTA DVR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in