Receiver Clock Slow By 10sec. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 2017-12-12, 07:58 PM
Veteran

^^^^
You forgot to check the motion of Jupiter's moons!

Quote:
I guess time is relative. Who'd have thought?
Einstein.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 2017-12-12, 08:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
In order to perform NAVIGATION function, all GPS Sats need to have VERY precise timing (100-ft ~ 97-nsec accuracy spec to 1-sigma uncertainty)...
I didn't mean to say that they were not accurate for GPS, just that their time would seem inaccurate to a casual observer. With the right software, they will be very accurate and I think they currently capable of determining position to about 30 feet. For someone without GPS equipment, NTP or WWV will be better.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 2017-12-12, 09:52 PM
Veteran

^^^^
GPS is very precise, provided you allow for the differences. Also, with differential GPS, position can be determined within a few centimetres. With the right equipment, it's possible to integrate measurements over time to place location within 5 mm!

From How is GPS Used in Surveying?
Quote:
Static GPS Baseline. Static GPS is used for determining accurate coordinates for survey points by simultaneously recording GPS observations over a known and unknown survey point for at least 20 minutes. The data is then processed in the office to provide coordinates with an accuracy of better than 5mm depending on the duration of the observations and satellite availability at the time of the measurements.

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 08:40 AM

Internet time servers and the software on client machines compute drift and compensate for it. That was 20 years ago. No idea if it is still necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 09:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
No idea if it is still necessary.
Given the variations in transit time, yes, if you want decent precision. If you just need an accurate clock to tell time, no. I believe that's the reasoning behind SNTP.

post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 10:14 AM

Just looked at that link...I remember a lot of that but yet I have forgotten a lot as well. That is the trouble with retiring and getting out of the business!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 2017-12-13, 05:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
GPS is very precise, provided you allow for the differences. Also, with differential GPS, position can be determined within a few centimetres.
Thanks for the update. I was operating with old info. At one time, the US military obfuscated GPS data to make it impossible to get position information withing less than 30'. Though I knew they had stopped doing that, I didn't realize GPS had become that accurate. I'd guess there has been some newer technology developed since then as well.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 2018-01-31, 08:42 PM
Rookie

Has this ever been looked into?
I see the subject has changed several times but the issue remain.
Please, someone at Bell, adjust the times on your server!
I guess Kodi i the best bet. I's free, use VPN and NO COMMERCIALS.
Bell, you're gonna lose more customers just like you did when VoIP was introduced!
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 2018-02-01, 09:18 AM

Interesting comments showing that some people have a lot of time to use up! My simple answer is....done on purpose by the networks to dissuade you from recording the competition. City Tv is a bad one starting numerous shows early or late. CTv is a problem at times. Fun and games by the Canadian TV masters.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 2018-02-02, 04:47 PM
Veteran

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out to the OP that the Bell TV IPG often indicates that a program is going to start/end outside the usual hourly period. Add that to all the other reasons for times to be sort of out of synch and is it any wonder that PVRs don't always start and stop at exactly the right moment.?
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Please reread my original post. I'm NOT talking about programs starting at different times, eg news at 5:59 instead of 6:00 PM.

For EVERY single program on EVERY channel, when the guide says for eg it's exactly 6:00 PM and I hit Select on the remote, the program actually started 10 seconds earlier.
Whenever I PVR any program (and do not select the start earlier option) when I watch it later the first 10 seconds of the program was not recorded - for every single PVR recording.

So I ask again if this is a Bell issue or a 9241 receiver quirk?
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 12:20 PM
Veteran

Apart from the EST/DST switch, I never had a time issue with Bell satellite. It could be just this particular receiver or something that has cropped up recently. I've seen cases where recordings start late on other PVRs and the time was correct.
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 12:53 PM

When I had a 9241, I didn't have this problem. Recently, I switched to a 9400 and started having this problem.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 01:27 PM

I have the same problem and I have a 6400 Receiver.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your similar issues with other receivers. It helps to know I'm not the only person seeing this.
Now getting someone at Bell "interested" in this concern will undoubtedly be impossible but I'll give it a shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in