Fibe TV App For Satellite TV - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-08, 09:45 AM
Rookie

As a Bell Satellite customer, I find that the Bell Fibe TV app/streaming website is working great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-09, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
The Fibe TV app also allows users to use their mobile device as a remote control for the PVR/STB. I wouldn't be surprised if this feature continued to be exclusive to the Fibe service.
I know this was speculation, but has anyone been able to confirm that you can use the app as a remote control in any way for Satellite TV?
post #33 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-09, 12:13 PM

December already met it's end. So as the following month January. What's the update?
bev fan likes this.

post #34 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-21, 04:57 PM
Rookie

Same, missing city tv and the USA networks. Speaking to Bell Corporate they seem to be stalling, telling me a techy will contact me but noone ever does. Leading me to believe that it is only me
post #35 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-21, 08:20 PM
Veteran

I don't get MS NBC either but it's something I can live with, im still very happy with this program
post #36 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 04:23 PM
Rookie

I have Bell Satellite but am not using bell for my ISP. I have not been able to get the Fibe TV App working on my apple TV4 as I get "Account Not Supported" when I attempt to login. The Fibe App works fine on my iPad (which is connected to wifi through my ISP). Has anyone that doesn't use bell for there ISP but has bell satellite been able to the Fibe app on an Apple TV? Thx
post #37 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 04:40 PM
Veteran

You can not do it. You must have both with the same provider. Just a few months ago Vmedia lost the court battle when it wanted to provide some of the tv channels on Roku to customers with other ISP.
post #38 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-27, 01:29 AM

I've been looking at Bell's web site from time to time since this was announced and they finally put up a web page for satellite customers. Here are some excerpts:
Bell TV App | Mobile Apps | Bell Canada

The Fibe TV app is now available to Satellite TV customers.
Enjoy even more channels on more devices through this easy-to-use app.

More content than ever at your fingertips.
Watch up to 225 live and on demand channels at home and up to 190 on the go on all your mobile devices.
225 at home (190 without a Bell Internet connection)
190 on the go

Watch on the screen of your choice
On your mobile devices - Watch TV wherever you are on an iOS or Android device.
On your computer - Watch your programming directly on your computer using a web browser at fibetv.ca. https://tv.bell.ca/login

Available on Wi-Fi networks
At home, you'll be able to watch TV on all your devices using your home Wi-Fi network. When you are away from home, you can also watch your favourite shows at no extra cost over Wi-Fi using your smartphone, tablet and computer. If you are a Bell Internet customer, log in to MyBell to view the data included in your plan and our usage options.

Available on mobile networks
If no Wi-Fi connection is available, you can watch TV wherever you are on a mobile network. Like any video content, watching TV with the Fibe TV app will count towards the data included in your mobile plan. Extra data charges may apply. If you are a Bell Mobility customer, log in to MyBell to view the data included in your plan.

Offer details
With select compatible Apple and Android devices. Requires Mobile network or Wi-Fi connection. Select live channels and on demand programming can only be viewed if included in your Satellite TV subscription and may vary if viewed over Wi-Fi at home with a Bell Internet connection (more content) vs. with a third-party Internet connection or outside your home. Content viewed over Wi-Fi at home will count towards your monthly Internet data usage. Mobile data charges may apply. Channels/content subject to change without notice and blackout periods may apply. Other conditions apply.
post #39 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-27, 01:37 AM

You will only see the "225 at Home" message if the province at the top of the web page is set to Ontario or Quebec. Since you need Bell internet to see the "at home" channels, western Canada is out of luck and it seems so is Aliant territory. My guess is that Bell validates your IP address and expects it to match the account for your Satellite TV service address. If things aren't properly linked at Bell's end, you may no get the benefit of the "at home" licences.

No mention of Apple TV, but I'm pretty sure that the accounts would have to be properly linked for it to work.

Note: you can see the channels available for each type of licence on Bell's web page.

EDIT: Bell only gets broadcast rights on satellite when it carries a channel. It has to negotiate for any additional digital rights with each channel, which is why you see all kinds of combinations of in-home vs. mobile rights. You also see "odd" circumstances like MSNBC which is available in-home live on the terrestrial service (Fibe TV), but not available at all if you have satellite service.

Digital rights are quite often limited to small screens, which is why a non-standard OS is unsupported and why features like Airplay are often blocked.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-02-27 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added more info
post #40 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-27, 08:48 PM
Veteran

In addition to this I'd like to be able to access my DVR and set recordings via the apps guide and watch any recordings off my DVR. I can do this with my other satellite subscription but Bell seems to be only half way there.
Battscrew and finc.jb like this.
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Note: you can see the channels available for each type of licence on Bell's web page.

EDIT: Bell only gets broadcast rights on satellite when it carries a channel. It has to negotiate for any additional digital rights with each channel, which is why you see all kinds of combinations of in-home vs. mobile rights. You also see "odd" circumstances like MSNBC which is available in-home live on the terrestrial service (Fibe TV), but not available at all if you have satellite service.
Yet, in another example of senselessness from Bell, some of its own CTV local channels cannot be watched through the app. I'm a satellite customer, and CTV Kitchener (channel 584) is not in the app's guide.
Also still baffles me why they don't include local CTV newscasts in the on-demand programming -- for years, every CTV & CTV Two station has had their local newscasts available for streaming via the "CTV News GO Video Network" on each station's respective website, so why are only CTV National newscasts available on-demand through the Fibe TV app?
post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-02-28, 05:55 PM
Veteran

I've been using this app for the last 2 days all day at work and it works well for the most part except that after a while it kicks me out of what I'm watching when I'm using data vs WiFi. I assume it's a safe guard. When I switch back to work WiFi it doesn't do that.
post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-04-14, 11:22 AM
Rookie

Has anyone figured out how to restore the satellite remote PVR app functionality? The Fibe app works for watching but I am interested in PVR remote recording as with the old Satellite remote PVR app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
finc.jb likes this.
post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-04-17, 12:19 PM
Veteran

hi dragosd,

We are all under the impression that the Satellite Remote PVR app will Never function any more. It seems that Bell has discontinued support for it (based on the feedback on here), which sucks because I used to use that app ALL the time. We all know the App itself had issues with newer android OS, but what we don't know is if the developers of the app were using some kind of third party server. If Bell has pulled the plug on that vendor, and they have taken the server offline indefinitely, then there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to restore the satellite remote PVR app functionality no matter how good of an expert programmer you happen to be if the Server was taken offline. Once the back end is shut down, that's it the app will NEVER connect.

Its a problem yes, but I found a solution. I have a Sling box which I'm using on one of my TV's and I now set my recordings thru the sling box so its all good, yay! I would not recommend to go and buy a sling box, I happened to own it for quite some time and was using it for other purposes but I have used it to set recordings now and it works great. its not the same interface as a smart phone app but it gets the job done
post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 2017-04-17, 05:30 PM

The remote access via browser never really worked for me. It did at first, but the last year it was running ... it wasn't running for me. Complaining (escalated) only got the "oh it seems to work for others" and "what are you trying to do" responses. Typical. The non-working service is not missed.

And, if I recall correctly, there was a "sling" in the web address it finally did connect to.

I'm quite convinced that Bell would be happy if this satellite business just went away

Tags
fibe tv , satellite tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in