Bell Satellite Could Be Phased Out Soon? (not true) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-08-08, 04:58 PM
Veteran

Question

I don't know if Bell Sat will be shut down or not, but I suspect not?

But here's another twist to this? How does Telus fit into this? Since Telus from my understanding sells/operates Bell Sat out west(some one correct me if I'm wrong here) By shutting down BTV(which I dought)would not this effect Teus as well?

I Slap Your Face So Hard You'll Turn Into A Clown!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 2016-08-08, 06:11 PM

Exactly;

Quote:
in an effort to boost its IPTV offering
Not in an attempt to get rid of the Dish....
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
I don't know if Bell Sat will be shut down or not, but I suspect not?

But here's another twist to this? How does Telus fit into this? Since Telus from my understanding sells/operates Bell Sat out west(some one correct me if I'm wrong here) By shutting down BTV(which I dought)would not this effect Teus as well?
To my knowledge Telus has nothing to do with Bell Satellite. The only thing the do is have a contract for sharing cell towers across Canada. In each central office Bell has a small room for their local business. That's it.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 05:22 PM
Veteran

Telus does have an agreement with Bell to sell Satellite TV in BC and Alberta under the Telus name with Telus branded receivers etc.

LONSat
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 07:17 PM
Veteran

As I stated earlier, There are plenty of people I know who live in parts of Ontario where there is NO IPTV nor Cable TV offered. Satellite is the only way to go. And for the longest time they did not have proper access to High Speed Broadband either, until lately, and even then, its not adequate enough to use for streaming tv service. Satellite TV is their ONLY choice for Entertainment, and that should not be taken away nor shut down because of this.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-26, 10:06 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell sells or merges with Shaw like XM Sirius.Another possibility would be selling to Telus.They aren't updating equipment and seem to have little interest in Satellite technology since they have put most of their efforts in Fibe technology
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-26, 11:05 AM
Veteran

Please don't take this the wrong way but I can't believe how many "glass half empty" people frequent this forum. It's almost as if you want bad things to happen so that you can say "I told you so".
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-26, 11:13 AM
Veteran

Canada has only enough population to support one satellite service. Bell and Shaw consumer satellite services only survived because they were subsidized for many years by the parent companies and their other operations. Shaw Direct was run on a shoestring budget for years and Bell TV has been for the past 5 years or so. Upgrades and updates will be few and far between. It's getting worse by the year as fibre networks and IPTV roll out and become increasingly more popular than satellite.

If anything happens with Bell and Shaw, one will sell or shut down their satellite division. I wouldn't be surprised if Bell already tried to sell and there were no takers. Merging them would be an extremely costly venture with diminishing returns due to a shrinking market. Technology will eventually make satellite TV obsolete in all but remote areas and unprofitable to maintain.

If anything happens with Bell and Telus, Bell will try to purchase Telus. Whether that will pass CRTC revue is debatable.
Voodoocobra likes this.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-26, 04:53 PM

Our population is much larger than New Zealand's and their Sky Satellite Television Service is very popular. Last year Sky had 705,652 satellite subscribers and 79,936 OTT subscribers, making it the largest pay television platform in New Zealand and their population is 4,850,640.

Likewise, Foxtel Satellite television in Australia (population 24,791,400 about 70% of our population) has proven to be a far more feasible option than cable television, perhaps due to the vast distances between population centres, (although Canada, which also has large distances between population centres, has a relatively high cable television penetration rate).

These 2 examples prove that large countries, like ours, with sparse populations, can run profitable satellite TV services. I would think that our country will support both Bell and Shaw satellite services for many years to come.
bev fan and Inglewood like this.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-26, 05:08 PM

As well, Canadian Satellite providers tag onto satellites used in the U.S. - where New Zealand and Australia have a smaller populations to share satellites.

I feel that ANZ channels also produce a lot more local content then our channels.
NovaMan likes this.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-26, 07:43 PM

Why would Bell add more local channels in SD and HD if they were selling or thinking of going FIBE only.

I just wish they would shut down all SD channels. Who watches SD in 2018?
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-26, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

There are a lot of areas in Canada that will never see Bell Fibe.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-27, 12:51 PM
Veteran

@NovaMan , Australia is a good comparison to Canada in population and demographics. It only has one satellite service though. Having two satellite services has hurt both companies and the level of service they provide. Shaw Direct was substandard for many years and has only recently caught up. Bell satellite lost money for many years and has been put on "hold" for the past few years in order to stem losses for a service that had reached saturation and has since lost customers and stagnated. Neither service compares with the US that has two very vibrant satellite services that continue to innovate and expand. Bell's partnership with Dish has resulted in Bell selling off resources (that rightly belong to Canadians) to Dish for "considerations." It is no longer generating tangible benefits for Canadian satellite customers. Having a single satellite service in Canada would most likely result in a more vibrant, more progressive satellite service for all Canadians.

Canadian satellite services will continue to shrink in popularity. The Canadian government has an ongoing project to connect remote regions using fibre technology. While it is true that there will always be remote areas that are not served by fibre or cable, Canada is becoming increasingly urban in nature and satellite is losing population in those areas. Satellite has a better chance of surviving with just one provider. It's not a question of if one of the existing two will be shut down, just when. Neither Shaw or Bell will support a money losing division indefinitely. In the meantime, inadequate investment in both services will drive customers away.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-27, 01:39 PM

I see that Sky in England have said they will move existing customers that use a Dish to a Fiber Feed in the coming months and years.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 2018-01-27, 02:35 PM

In Australia there used to be two satellite services Austar and Foxtel, Austar was taken over by Foxtel few years back. Summat similiar could happen here in Canada down the road. cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in