Bell TV Pricing and Programming Packages Discussion - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 06:10 PM

I tried the package change tool to see what I would get with Starter package and I lost the US channels if I didn't include the timeshift add on. Maybe in reality they have kept them included since Shaw and Rogers have kept them.

Panny TC-P60GT50, Vizio SB3651-E6 Soundbar, Harmony One, Android Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 06:15 PM

The Select package DOES have the U.S. Channels. Are you sure you didn't click "Starter"?
post #63 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxInsanity View Post
The Select package DOES have the U.S. Channels. Are you sure you didn't click "Starter"?
Sorry, typo. It was the Starter that I selected.

post #64 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 07:33 PM

Honestly, do the U.S. stations matter? During primetime hours, all programs are sim subbed anyway. And who cares about local Boston news? Just my opinion.
post #65 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Honestly, do the U.S. stations matter? During primetime hours, all programs are sim subbed anyway. And who cares about local Boston news? Just my opinion.
US, not so much but the timeshifting is more desirable.

post #66 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 07:52 PM

Again, not to be argumentative, but with a PVR, timeshifting is irrelevant and a waste of $5
post #67 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Again, not to be argumentative, but with a PVR, timeshifting is irrelevant and a waste of $5
Not really. A single tuner PVR makes it difficult to watch live and record at the same time. Even with my dual tuner PVR I'm often conflicting when trying to set times during prime time.

post #68 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Not really. A single tuner PVR makes it difficult to watch live and record at the same time. Even with my dual tuner PVR I'm often conflicting when trying to set times during prime time.
I agree. We have 2 9400s but with 2 adults and a teenager we wouldn't get by without timeshifting. Everyone of us likes different shows and when you throw sports into the mix it gets really conflicted
finc.jb likes this.
post #69 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 08:28 PM

Wow, that's a lot of television viewing! With my 9400, I could be watching something recorded while two different and separate shows are being recorded. If you consume that much product, perhaps a skinny package isn't for you. I simply don't have that much of a ferocious need for tv.
post #70 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
US, not so much but the timeshifting is more desirable.
I think CRTC skinny basic only allows "local" U.S. stations - no time-shifting.
post #71 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 12:36 AM

Not that much of a ferocious need for tv, but when 3 people have shows they watch that are on at the same time that's not a lot of tuners. A hockey game ties up one tuner for 3 hours, add in a couple of 1 hour programs while the wife watches her recordings from the night before and that's 1 PVR tied up for the night. Add in the kid's programs and say basketball and there goes the other PVR.
post #72 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 09:16 AM
Veteran

This thread is becoming very hard to follow because no one is beginning their messages by identifying to whom they are replying. That is OK in a short thread with few comments a day but not in a very active thread such as this one.

@ParadoxInsanity : US stations do matter. There are cases where the US and Can. channels are not showing the show at the same time. One example is Hell's Kitchen. Fox now shows it earlier in the week while CITY has kept it in its original Friday night slot. I'm sure there are other examples. And as for Boston News, I have friends in Boston. I love to surprise them when I see/speak to them by commenting on what is happening in their city.
post #73 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 09:20 AM

I used to quote to whom I was answering and EVERY SINGLE TIME, my post would be edited by a Mod eliminating that, so I stopped.

I watch Hells Kitchen myself and love the Wednesday feed. But, let's be practical, very few people have friends in Boston needing a surprise from a Canadian with local knowledge. I guess I don't place the same urgent priority in my life where television viewing is of such critical significance that it keeps me up at night, sorry
post #74 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 09:47 AM
Veteran

@ParadoxInsanity : Did you quote the entire original post when replying or just the ID? I can see the mod. cutting the former but not the latter. In a busy thread there can be 20 posts between the original message and your reply.

As for your view of Boston TV.. If you live in the Maritimes (as I do) you've got friends and relatives in Boston and/or somewhere on the eastern seaboard. It's nice to know what's happening in their neck of the woods even if you don't ever say anything to them. If you live in the Maritimes a visit to New England is almost as easy as visiting Buffalo from Toronto. It's like your backyard. If you live in the Maritimes and love the Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, etc. Boston TV keeps you up to date on your favourite team(s). If you live in the Maritimes, having access to Boston PBS is priceless. If you live in the Maritimes Boston News can give you advance warnings of nor'easters that will be heading your way just a day or two later. There are many good reasons to watch US stations. I would never take a TV package that didn't include them. I'm shocked that Bell has left them out particularly since the CRTC did "suggest" that US 4+1 was appropriate for the Skinny packages.
post #75 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 10:11 AM
Rookie

I decided to switch to the Starter pack but Bell made it as confusing as possible. According to the change tool I was going to loose TVA and V channels (among others) but that was not true, I still have them. That thing is completely screwed-up when displaying the new/unchanged/lost channels, even in the final review before submitting the changes. The new subscriber tool however (when not signed-in to Bell) seems to work perfectly to display what channels are actually going to be there. Honest mistake surely...

I am happy with my new channels and saving $10 in the process, I could have saved $20 but decided to indulge a bit on new channels, might cancel later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in