Bell TV Pricing and Programming Packages Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-02-29, 09:46 AM

Switching for me was painless online - went with Starter and HGTV only for $31.95 a month - saving $51 a month.

I will add TSN once the CFL season starts, unless they have an online platform this season like the other sports leagues. Will pay the extra $25 from June through November if it isn't online.

I wonder how often you can switch the channels? For example, if I subscribe to TSN for a day 3-4 times a month, would I only pay by the day when I want to watch a game?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-02-29, 09:52 AM
Veteran

I'm thinking we will switch as well to just the starter pack since the only reason we still have Canadian TV is for local new at our ND home. I might add TSN as well for CFL time.
post #48 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-02-29, 10:19 AM
Veteran

I'm surprised that no one has noticed the change to Bell's GBB offerings. Good once could have been described as Can. locals, US 4+1, plus a few Canadian extras like TWN. Good now has been beefed up with cable channels that used to be in Better like HGTV, History, Food, Space, Bravo etc. Select is gone but a lot of what it offered is also now in Good or Better. It may no longer be necessary. Best? It has been reduced by the changes to the other packs.
andyk likes this.

post #49 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-02-29, 12:14 PM
Rookie

Didn't see my question answered...I have the "good" ($48.95 +$3) ..the new "good" has more channels ($53.95 +$3).
Anyone know if the old Good will get the New Good channels?

n/m, called and was told I could take the new package at new rate but then old 'good' no longer available. Also was told my $7 p/m receiver credit would be taken away. Looks like OTA may be my only option to save...

Last edited by jackie999; 2016-02-29 at 01:32 PM.
post #50 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:28 PM

After spending more than 10 minutes tinkering (which is way more time than it should take!) the first conclusion is: whoever designed the channel lineup preview webpage should be fired. Sure, they list the "removed, unchanged and new" channels. But then they list them bunched (like CTV) under "removed" and then individually under "new". Ugh. One simple list with green and red would do.

Secondly, the designer of the webpage pop-up (which constantly told me that I did not have an HD receiver, when I actually do) should also be fired.

Since I could not even deduce what channels were removed when the price was almost the same as I'm paying now, I clicked "Cancel" and closed the page. The doom and gloom message about 'once you switch from your existing package, you can't get it back' was also off-putting. Will circle around again soon hoping things get better.
post #51 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:30 PM

The "HD Compatibility" popup has been around for long now, I would be shocked to find it missing.
post #52 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:46 PM
Rookie

Starter Pack

What an abysmal offering for a basic starter pack.
17 english stations of which a couple of them are only some multi-cultural stations.
An aquarium and fireplace station. Pathetic.
Duplicate City and CTV stations and no US stations.

All this for $21.95/month plus taxes
Yikes. Once you begin to plugin some additional channels and packages you are all ready spending more for the Good Package.
All the more reason to begin seriously considering cutting the cord :-(
post #53 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 03:49 PM

I'm not sure why the mass hysteria and shock at the Starter pack's offerings. Speculation here proved right that, while it would be in compliance with the CRTC mandate, would certainly not be designed to be the most optimal selection. I, for one, said that, ultimately, most will choose to stay put in lieu of paying more for the anorexic pack plus add ons.
post #54 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 04:19 PM

@PardoxInsanity , I would say I agree and disagree.
Certainly it was somewhat predictable, but I think you might agree that:

1) It is worse than most other BDU's without Bell in the name and
2)They are not only flipping it at the CRTC but also consumers. If I'm not mistaken, it appears that they've taken the opportunity to raise prices on their other packages (at the very least Good has gone up and they have removed the Select option).

So, hysteria and shock.
post #55 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 04:24 PM

Agreed. It is worse than other providers. That said, I would have been shocked if they didn't take the opportunity to silently raise their prices elsewhere. The select package is gone, but a second good pack is created.

The one difference is bell, at least, introduced true pick n pay in advance of the end of year deadline.

No, I'm not surprised at all at these new changes. What does surprise me is people are shocked that the changes would benefit them. When in bells history have they even hinted at that happening?
post #56 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 04:38 PM

HaHa! Good last point there.

What do you mean "a second good pack is created?"
post #57 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 04:40 PM

On the actual program change screen, there is a Good and Good 2 option in addition to Better and Best.
post #58 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 05:13 PM

It seems they're getting rid of the original "Good". So now the options are Good 2, Better, Best and Starter. At first I failed to see the logic in putting the Starter package last, but now I realize it is because it is the most expensive, at least for most people!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
post #59 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxInsanity View Post
On the actual program change screen, there is a Good and Good 2 option in addition to Better and Best.
I thought I was going crazy but then I realized you had to log in to see it. I'm on Select Package so mine says Good 2 and Select. So it appears that Good 2 is same as the old Good (maybe a software glitch, probably suppose to be Good).

So you think that the 2nd Good (whatever it's suppose to be called) is the new Select then?

In any case it looks like they raised the price of their base Good by $5. I currently pay $67.95 for Select. What price have they listed the new Good?
post #60 of 225 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 05:52 PM

I'm on the old theme packs. When I go to preview the new packages, the only options I have are Good 2, Better, Best and Starter. Since I never subscribed to Good or Select, they are not available to me, likely because Bell has eliminated them as options (existing customers with those packages will be grandfathered until they switch). Good 2 has more channels than Good did from what I can tell, but fewer than Select.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in