Bell calling to validate receivers - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 119 (permalink) Old 2013-12-09, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davage View Post
Mr. X's post got me thinking... I wonder what happens if someone is using the 'unblock-us' service in order to access US Netflix etc. If they hook their receiver up to their internal network, will Bell somehow record it as coming from a US IP number, and cut them off?
To clarify, unblockus doesn't function in a manner which would cause this to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-04, 12:00 AM
Rookie

Reviving a bit of an old thread here but I just went through this today. I had been getting calls from Bell for a few months. Calls always came when I wasn't home so they left a message. Just thought they were trying to sell me something. Last message on Friday said to call within 24 hours or my receivers would be deactivated. I have 6, none are plugged into phone lines. 2 of my receivers were not currently hooked up to TVs but I told them they were when I called in.

So I call in. I get the company line about not putting them on hold, no 3 way conversations, no connecting and disconnecting equipment, etc. I started with the first, read the info on the screen. As I moved to the next my one disconnected the one I just gave the info about and connected the next one. Gave info on the second, came back to the my son just connected, gave info on it, he swapped out to the next while I went to another, gave info, came back gave info...finished off all 6. Took a total of about 10 minutes. No problems. Bell guy told me it would probably be 5 to 10 years before they bothered me again. I wish that was true but I somehow doubt it....I guess we'll see.
post #78 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 01:19 PM
Rookie

What happens if you live in the modern age and have no phone line... only cell phones?

post #79 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 01:41 PM
Veteran

Then you must expect a call from Bell and call back if asked. They only call if you have more than one satellite receiver.
post #80 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-26, 11:34 AM
Rookie

So I am in the process of potentially switching to satellite from Cable. I am currently with Shaw and have spoken to Bell about a Switch.

The reason I want to switch, is because I have a cabin about 40 minutes north of where I live (I spend most of the summer weekends out there).

I spoke to a Bell guy, and he told me that as long as both residences were in my name (they are) I could put a reciever at the cabin and basically "share" my package with myself. I even have him emailing this to me as a selling feature vs shaw.

Based on everyone's comments on here - I am a little hesitant, as it sounds like he may just be telling me this to switch..... thoughts?
post #81 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-26, 12:33 PM
Veteran

In my own personal experience, I would NOT trust anything Bell tells me via e-mail or phone. But that's just my personal experience.
post #82 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-26, 04:26 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
damaaster: Although you can utilize Bell Sat at the cottage and at home, they expect you to be only using one location at a time and to move the receivers back and forth between the two locations (or activating/deactivating by calling in). If you try to have both locations active at the same time, or not be able to read out all the active receiver numbers, then they will shut you down to one receiver. Anything else is account splitting and is illegal, as discussed many times in this forum. The Bell CSR is misinformed, or lying.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #83 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-26, 08:20 PM
Rookie

Exactly what 57 said, a misinformed Bell CSR.

I think Shaw Direct still offer a program called "Home Away From Home". Check out the Shaw Direct Thread.
post #84 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-26, 08:37 PM

57, here you use the word illegal, but in this thread, you say against the TOS?

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost...5&postcount=26
post #85 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-26, 08:47 PM
Rookie

Potato, Potato. That does not work in print.....lol

What about "Po-tay-toe, Po-tar-toe".....
post #86 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-27, 05:43 PM

FYI

Shaw no longer offers the Home-Away-From-Home program. It is now called the 2nd Home program, or something to that effect.

If you are operating a receiver(s) in Florida or at the Cottage, they expect you to tell them, and they will bill you an additional 50% - 75% to cover the 2nd location.
post #87 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-05-27, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Anything else is account splitting and is illegal, as discussed many times in this forum. The Bell CSR is misinformed, or lying.
I don't know how many times I've shown up for an install and the customer is expecting a dish and receivers installed in their home, and the CSR or sales person said that we'd also give them another receiver and dish for their cottage. Most of the time I think that it's probably the sales person just saying whatever he has to say to get the sale.
post #88 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 10:20 AM
Rookie

Bell receiver verification call.

When Bell calls to verify all the receivers in your house (or when you call them back after they leave a message), do all the receivers have to be hooked up to the satellite dish at the same time?

I do understand that the boxes all have to be powered up & connected to a tv in order to see the ID / smartcard / Location Code numbers etc, and all receivers must be verified in that same phone call.

Have 4 BEV receivers in the house, but currently only have 3 hooked up to the dish. Other is a spare, but would like it to remain activated.

Can the verification be completed if one receiver is just powered on and connected to a tv set (to see the info screen), but not connected to the input cable from the dish itself?

Otherwise, can I unhook one receiver after it's been verified and then plug in the next one to verify that one in turn?

Just wondering if I really need to pick up another switch / splitter to connect up that last receiver to the dish just for the verification process.

Thanks.
post #89 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 10:54 AM
Veteran

All receivers have to be hooked up, but if your fourth receiver is not hooked up, they will wait for you on the phone so you can connect the fourth receiver and read the id numbers to them, after you had verified other three receivers.
post #90 of 119 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 11:33 AM
Rookie

If it is a spare and is not hooked up for a few weeks it will not work when you do hook it up anyway, it will require a "hit" to re-activate the programming.

As long as you tell them it is a 'spare' and that you want it to remain on the account you should be good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in