BTV 2011 Outages Thread - Please read post 1. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

BTV 2011 Outages Thread - Please read post 1.

Tonight my Bell tv crapped out completely....most unfortunate since I had a friend over and had shelled out 65 bucks for Wrestlemania.

After an hour and a half (two calls, first one dropped) they told me it was a province wide atmospheric issue, yet I've seen no other complaints on here so my bs-meter is chirping.

Anyone else with issues tonight?

Edit by 57 - here's the thread from 2010 for previous information:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=126345

Weather outages can be caused by poor weather over your area, or poor weather over the BTV Uplink facility, located in Toronto. This thread is to track outages that affect the entire country due to weather or other problems at the uplink.

Please see and use the links below for Toronto radar if you have an outage. Please also report the amount of time that your location was "down".

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar..._e.html?id=WKR

http://www.intellicast.com/National/...e&animate=true

Uplink Outage Dates & Times:

2011.06.08 - Thunderstorm in Toronto after 7PM EDT.

2011.06.24 - Heavy Rain in Toronto after 12PM EDT.

2011.08.07 - Heavy Rain in Toronto around 8PM EDT.

2011.08.09 - Heavy Rain in Toronto around 11AM EDT.

2011.08.21 - Thunderstorm in Toronto around 2:40PM EDT.

If you wish to find other previous similar threads, do a search for "rain snow fade". If your location was down for significantly longer than other people indicate in this thread, then you should consider re-aiming your dish and/or getting a larger dish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 12:17 AM
Rookie

Working good here, we did get some snow/rain tonight so that may have had an effect on your LNB or Switch, i would start there. On your remote Press "Menu", than 6-1-1, are you getting a signal?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 12:26 AM

My dish has been out for 4 hours. Been on hold for quite a while with BellTV.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I'm in a condo, went into the diagnostics screen and was getting the red x's of doom.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 12:39 AM
Rookie

My service is down as well; I live in the Greenwood/Danforth area of Toronto. All of a sudden, around 9:02 PM (approx.) the 'Please standby for the satellite signal' screen popped up, and multiple times over five minutes, it reached '3 out of 5' on the Progress category before retreating to zero. After those five minutes, it remained at zero, and it STILL hasn't changed even once, three and a half hours later now.

I called Bell support a little while ago and heard the 'we are receiving a higher volume of calls' message, so I assumed it was either the snow, or a problem on their end, and hung up. Obviously from reading the TC's message, it is indeed the snow, but our dish is on TOP of the house, not hanging on the side like most of the other houses on our street, and we don't have a ladder that reaches, so we can't try clearing the snow off. I guess we'll have to wait until the weather changes. Thank GOD I didn't watch all of the recorded programs on my PVR, or I'd be screwed in terms of watching TV. I don't care if it's the weather, Bell had better reimburse me for the time I've spent without service.

This hasn't ever happened to us before, but it just reaffirms our plans to switch to the new Fibe TV, considering there's already a Fibre Optic line set up (for the Fibe internet we have).

EDIT: Well what do you know; the MINUTE I posted this message, my service returned. I'm only getting a few channels at the moment, but hey, it's better than nothing! I'm sure everything will be back to normal fairly soon.

Last edited by Krizen; 2011-04-04 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Service Returned
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 12:41 AM

Yes. It is effecting south western Ontario some storm is coming ! and was on hold for a long while!

Rogers Digtal Cable,PVR8642HD/PVR8000, VIP ULTIMATE+TMN Playboy, Hustler, Super , WWE 24/7, BELL TV 9241PVRHD,
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 12:42 AM

Just spoke with a tech support, the rep said there was "a big cloud" over the satellite that caused the outage. Couldn't believe my ears on that one.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 02:08 AM

My dish went down as well. Went outside, gave it the "broom treatment" and done--working great again.

Wet sticky snow is the problem.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 09:28 AM

It was snowing wet sticky snow last night. I had to go out twice and sweep the dish.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 10:09 AM

had the same issue...would certainly suck if I had paid for a PPV like some folks did.

Luckily my dish is close enough to get a broom to it.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 02:21 PM
Rookie

I have a Dish Heater on my 75cm aimed Bell Dish, turned it on as soon as I saw Snow sticking, no issues after that.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-06-08, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Major storm rolling over Toronto, signal up and down like crazy. Give it 10 minutes, it should be gone.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-06-08, 07:50 PM

Thanks Pinza, it's sunny and warm here so I was hoping that was the problem and not my setup.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-06-08, 10:00 PM

Yeah thanks.
Perfect clear skies in the Hammer. Was worried it might have had something to do with the roofer that was here earlier.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-06-08, 10:01 PM

So I was in the US visiting family and noticed that their satellite didn't go down while we were stuck in a major rain storm with thunder and lightening. Given the multitude of the storm, I informed my cousin, that my dish would have gone down for sure. I'm like wow! So i asked, what about when it snows? My cousin says no??? I am puzzled as to how Directv never goes down when there are storms (rain, hail, snow etc.) what do they have that Bell doesn't?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in