Hi Allan B, I wanted to revisit my post from December (#242). There was a lot going on at that time with the house under major renovation, so I forgot to respond.
I am still dealing with lower the optimal signal. The dish was put back up by the siding workers after the renovation, and it was miraculously aimed pretty well. But since then it has been bumped again by later workers, so signal is now ~ 5-10 pts lower on each transponder than immediately after the construction. Even on a sunny day, some tps are in the 50's, and signal can drop in and out. I improved it slightly myself with vertical and horizontal corrections, but didn't touch the skew.
I should have added that I don't want to change the hardware. I have a DirecTV dish on the house too, and don't want a third. Its also a secondary TV option, so I don't want to spend much more money.
Is there a way to optimize 82 at the expense of 91? If I didn't need 91 for guide data, I'd take the DPP Quad LNB off and put a single LNB on and aim at 82 only, as I only need the HD channels.
I found the following (pasted in below) in the dish pointing thread in the hardware forum; but feel I effectively did this today (given only 1 line runs from the LNB to the receiver) and got 62 and 76 on tp 15 and 16 respectively. (91 tp 11 is 73 now - but I'd take 60 if I can get the 82 tps into the 70's and 80's)
To find 82
1. Disconnect the sat cable from receiver, do a Check Switch test
2. the test will fail. The receiver will say you have fewer satellites, say YES when it asks if you want to SAVE the new test result.
3. at the dish, disconnect the 82 cable from your switch, and connect the 82 cable directly to the cable going in the house.
4. reconnect the satellite cable to the receiver
5. go to the signal strength screen, select Satellite 82, Transponder 15 or 16
6. adjust the dish until you find 82. Get the strength as close to 100% as possible, tighten the nuts.
7. reconnect the switch. If its an SW21, connect the 91 cable to Dish 1, and the 82 cable to Dish 2.
8. run another Check Switch test, and hopefully both sats will be there.