Telus will distribute Bell satellite TV in Alberta and BC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 09:16 AM

I don't understand how this will work? Will Telus take over distribution and sales for Bell TV in Western Canada? This will still remain a satellite service correct or will it be migrated over to IPTV?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 09:28 AM
Member #1

It's really confusing. Since it says under the Telus brand, they clearly aren't selling BellTV. Why go over IPTV when they have Telus TV.

Very weird. Hopefully, we will hear more today.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 09:31 AM

Interesting. Is this maybe a way for Bell to capitalize on the Telus brand recognition out here in the west? Then again, isn't Bell a competitor for Telus TV? Maybe its a way to battle a common enemy (Shaw??)

Very weird indeed.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 09:41 AM
Veteran

I suspect Bell and Telus are slowly merging into one company.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 10:08 AM

I talked to a Telus installer on the weekend and he says that Telus will be using this so that they can compete with the cable companies in bundling. Telus will be able to bundle Internet, phone and TV. While Telus has IPTV rolled out it is not available to all of its customers.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 10:14 AM

Wonder if we will see Telus branded sat receivers out here. Will current Bell customers be migrated over to Telus?

Unfortunately both companies have terrible customer service so that likely won't change for the better.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 11:51 AM

I gotta agree with scrooloose I see this as the beginning of a merge or eventual take over of bell.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 11:58 AM

So I am assuming Bell TV will no longer be marketed in Western Canada... which seems like a crazy strategy to me. If Bell had any hopes of becoming a larger player in Western Canada, by offering bundles etc this doesn't seem like the way to do it. For Telus, it seems like an interesting startegy because now they can offer customers, pretty much regardless where they live in the two provinces, tv service and they can offer bundles. My question is who will handle the customer service? And will Bell be getting royalties?
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 12:10 PM
Veteran

I think Bell will continue to sell Bell TV in the West, that's the only way they can offer bundles as well. In the US, AT&T resells either Dish or DirectTV (I just forget which one), but they still compete with one another.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 12:15 PM

Telus will be doing the installations and support for their branded satellite service, training has been underway for quite a while now. Bell will likely still sell it's own service out west and it's doubtful existing customers will be migrated to Telus.

The advantage is that Telus will be able to penetrate a much larger populous than it can currently with IPTV. (ie. Smaller communities and more suburbia) It will also provide people in houses the ability to have more televisions connnected since bandwidth isn't an issue.

IPTV is still the major focus but if you can leverage another TV product to provide more revenue while building out IPTV it makes sense.

The key is that it allows Telus to bundle services with TV, whereas Bell can't do that out west very easily since they are not a major phone/internet provider. Bundling gets the customer out of the hands of the cable companies completely.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 03:00 PM

I think Bell and Aliant may be doing the same thing in Atlantic Canada?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 05:00 PM
Rookie

how about this...

Telus is trying to provide TV service ( HD ) to all of it's wireline customers. This way they can truly start to compete in a market that is basically a one company show.

Basically, if you qualify for Telus HDTV with a high speed internet connection( 15 meg attainable), you will be serviced with IP TV. If you do not qualify for IPTV due to distance, signal to noise ratio (blah blah blah), you will be offered TV service via satelite. I am guessing that both satelite and IPTV will be the same channels, same deals, same prices...The other reason that you would qualify to be serviced by satelite is that if you preferred to have more than 2 HD TV sets in your occupancy.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 2009-05-07, 05:03 PM

In very simple terms Bell TV is selling a service to Telus Tv. Saves Telus a lot of investment in its own sat. Just makes good business sense.

Tags
bell , satellite tv , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in