Bell fastest ISP in Canada; Rogers slowest: Netflix

Bell offers customers the fastest internet speeds in the country, while Rogers is dead last, according to ISP rankings released today by Netflix.

Bell Canada’s fibre optic network maintained an average speed of 3.19 megabits per second, with Rogers’ average speed coming in at just 1.67 Mbps. The average ISP speed in Canada is 2.52 Mbps.

Coming in second in the ISP rankings is Bell Aliant, followed by Shaw, Videotron, Cogeco, Eastlink and Teksavvy.

The ratings were determined by measuring the performance of Netflix Canada streams from November 2012 through May 2014.

Source: Netflix

Comments

10 Responses to “Bell fastest ISP in Canada; Rogers slowest: Netflix”
  1. @Rogers_Chris says:

Hi there, this is Chris from the social media team at Rogers. Netflix’s tests were done just before we virtually doubled Netflix capacity. We’ll continue to add more capacity as required.

2. Pack says:

I like the word “virtually” used in his post!

3. Greg says:

Yes Rogers. I “virtually” believe you.

4. mike says:

Nice, Telus isnt even mentioned. Too slow to even mention?

5. Darrell says:

Where is TELUS, SaskTel and MTS? FYI Digital Home, there is Canada to the West of Ontario as well….

• Administrator says:

Hi Darrell,

You can find the full list of ISPs at the Netflix source link. The providers you mentioned ranked lower down on the list. We didn’t include every provider in the article for brevity’s sake—we certainly did not intend to exclude any part of the country! Apologies if it seemed that way.

6. Taylor says:

What? This article makes no sense. I have 100mbps with Shaw right now. In fact it’s more speed than I need even with HD Streaming and Gaming and a room mate who does the same… I’m switching to TekkSavvy 25mbps for better rates (Tomorrow in fact :D), and the fact that Shaw uses Traffic Shaping (Throttling). So I don’t know what the deal with this article is. Somebody please enlighten me.

• Tom says:

Shaw does not throttling/shape traffic.

Keep switching all you want, but you are incorrect in this. 100%.

7. Stephane says:

Probably because a lot of Rogers customers are on old grandfathered lite internet. Someone in my family complained that her internet was slow and she switched to Aliant and that it was faster… She was on a really old Rogers lite plan, one or two mbps…