Telus this week released new Android, iPhone and iPad apps which gives their IPTV customers the ability to watch On Demand shows on their iPhone or iPad over a WiFi connection.

Optik TV customers will be able to choose from hundreds of VOD titles from channels like Super Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, Hollywood Suite and Family.

The shows will available free of charge to Telus customers provided they already subscribe to the channels through their television package.

Telus says a WiFi connection is required to watch shows and movies as users cannot watch programming over a 3G connection.

To ensure that you are a customer, an Optik TV username and password is required to log into the application. Customers can create an account through by pressing the menu button on their Optik TV remote and selecting Optik TV account in the settings sub-menu.

Digital Home readers who have tried the apps on all three platforms and not had any problems.

Discuss Optik TV and the new apps in Digital Home’s Telus IPTV (Optik TV) discussion forum.

Comments

7 Responses to “New smartphone apps let Optik TV subscribers watch shows on their iOS and Android devices”
  1. mousepotato says:

I cannot see word of this anywhere on the Telus site. Can you provide a link please? I don’t see anything in the DH Forum section either.

2. Nosgoth1979 says:

It seems every TV provider is trying to move in this direction. Unfortunately it also seems like many companies are rushing into it and pushing out seriously restricted apps, and it appears Telus is no different in this regard. Don’t get me wrong, I still think it’s cool that they’re offering something for their Optik TV subscribers, but it doesn’t compare with DISH Network’s version. I’ll try to be as objective as possible while I explain what I mean, because I realize, being that I’m an employee of DISH Network, I could be accused of being biased. But the facts are pretty clear. This is just on-demand content, DISH gives you all of your programming both live TV, and anything on your DVR. This is WiFi only (which has me scratching my head), so if you happen to only have 3G, or 4G, you’re out of luck. Again DISH doesn’t have this restriction. Telus has a start here, but they have a long way to go before they can truly compete when it comes to TV Everywhere.

• DigitalDude says:

Until Wireless carriers have inexpensive unlimited data plans, having WiFi ONLY is great protection for consumers. It also protects their new 4G and LTE networks from being overrun with a rash of new users.

3. dirtychoncho says:

This isn’t wifi only, it works on my 3G data.

4. some guy says:

The app works on my iPad but video playback on my Android phone is blank except for a thin line along the right side of the display.

5. Jenfryreyesonly says:

I would like to know is this going to work or not for the optik tv I have at moms Edmonton area to view on iphone3 here – sure wish I could go and fix the channels for her from here! Im trying to avoid a slinger or box that we would have to have installed there to access her tv to fix or change the stations for her -when she’s not well.
    Any help would be so greatly appreciated from you guys!

Also what is the cheapest landline rate for ontario canada – bell is trying to take from me again-more details if you request – but so frustrated with being a loyal customer and neg a cheap price having the flyers show up for 16.00 in the mail from rogers and others and Bell being moody and not competing or doing the same deal. Especially hard to take when I get calls for Bell some how of people complaining of their services with Bell. I dont mind redirecting people but when Im not offered a decent cheap landline rate from them – doesnt seem very polite of them lol