Netflix launches in Canada

California based Netflix today launched its online subscription video-on-demand service in Canada.

The company says English speaking customers in Canada will be able to stream a broad array of movies and TV episodes to their home computer or Netflix enabled consumer electronic devices for $7.99 per month.

Among the consumer electronic devices capable of receiving NetFlix streams in Canada are various Blu-ray players from Samsung and Toshiba, the Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and the Nintendo Wii and Sony PS3 video game consoles.

Over time, more devices capable of streaming from Netflix are expected to be added in Canada including: Blu-ray disc players from Vizio and Insignia; Internet TVs from Samsung; the recently announced next generation Apple TV and later this fall, the Xbox 360.

Canada is the first country outside of the United States where Netflix will offer its streaming-only service. At the time of launch, the Netflix Canadian service will be available in English only, but the company said it expects to add French language capability over time.

Early feedback on the service from Digital Home readers is tepid. The biggest complaints appears to be a poor selection of movies and shows. In addition, several readers complain that many of the selections turn up “unavailable: when they try to select them for viewing.

To encourage trial, the company is currently offering Canadians a free on month trial from the company website at www.netflix.ca.

Discuss the arrival of Netflix in Digital Home’s Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extender forum.

Comments

7 Responses to “Netflix launches in Canada”
  1. Bernie says:

I was looking through their catalog. I searched for about 20 movies and tv shows. NONE of them were available. They were a mix of canadian and american, old and new. All of the suggestions it gave were of stuff I have never heard of or had no interest in watching. They had better get some better content if they expect people to sign up.

• Anonymous says:

Same here. I was hoping Netflix can be a better alternative to Zip for harder to find movies. I have to say I am really disappointed at their selection.

2. G Zink says:

I noticed you start the free month by filling in name password, etc. I imagine the second screen asks for credit card and then as it says you have to request cancellation of the “free” month. I hate that. You have to remember to cancel (and most won’t) and they have your credit card, so you may be mistakenly continued. Terrible new way to do business!

3. Glenn says:

Nevermind the lack of content.

Until Canadian ISP’s offer higher bandwidth caps without making you buy a ‘pro’ package (Cogeco standard is only 60GB) any streaming service is going to be limited.

I would make use of the current PS3 video store if it wasn’t for the fact that I already use on average 30-40GB per month. It wouldn’t take many movie downloads to blow right through my cap and then the overage charges will kick in.

I don’t understand why the media isn’t picking up on this side of the story? They are all focusing on how streaming services will kill video B&M stores but are ignoring the paltry bandwidth caps that Canadians are faced with.

4. Chris says:

Took a look at what is offered for both TV and movies. Brutal selection. Nothing too recent. What a waste of time.

5. morikaweb says:

Whats wrong with the content? So they don’t have brand new direct from the theater movies… Then again who does? Oh that’s right, nobody.

For $8 a month this is a killer deal, if your somehow expecting hundreds of dollars of value from an $8 package then that’s your problem not Netflix’s.

6. Who Cares says:

The selection is total garbage and not worth $8 a month it’s not even worth $4. Every money you want to see you get this selection is not available but we recommened ->> “Some crap b flix ” here. This is nothing like the US service. They will have a short life in canada with this garbage selection. Just like when Tivo tried to break into the canadian market it was short lived.

Better off to wait for zip.ca online streaming. I give netflix 1 out of 5