Blu-ray not coming to Xbox 360

xbox_360When asked by Wilson Rothman of the Gizmodo blog site last week about adding a Blu-ray player to the Xbox 360 game console, Steve Ballmer CEO replied “Well I don’t know if we need to put Blu-ray in there—you’ll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories.”

This apparently innocuous response then exploded in the blogosphere as a “revelation” that Microsoft would soon be releasing a Blu-ray player with the Xbox 360.

In response to the overheated blogoshpere, Larry Hryb, the ‘Xbox Live Director of Programming’ has posted in his Major Nelson blog that Microsoft has no plans for Blu-ray on Xbox 360.

Larry wrote “During an interview yesterday, Steve Ballmer was asked about Blu-Ray and the Xbox 360. I wanted to clear something up. Steve was referring to Blu-Ray accessories for the PC. As we have said in the past, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-Ray drive for the Xbox 360. In fact, the future of home entertainment starts very soon when Xbox 360 becomes the first and only console to offer instant-on 1080p streaming HD movies. With a library of thousands of TV shows and movies to choose from, Xbox 360 owners can instantly watch the movies they want, when they want, in the highest form of high definition.”

Comments

7 Responses to “Blu-ray not coming to Xbox 360”
  1. superdynamite says:

XBox360 was obsolete at launch. 360 is slightly more powerful than PS2. PS2 & 360 have almost the exact same rendering capabilities. Microsoft jammed an HDMI jack in the back of the XBox to make it look like a full HD console, when in reality it is not. Micorsoft is now refusing to update or release a true NEXT-GEN game console.

XBox 360 is doomed. 360’s exclusive titles pale in comparison to Playstation 3’s exclusive titles and XBox sales are dropping while PS3 sales are rising.

• Anonymous says:

Wow fanboy much? That was the biggest load of BS I’ve ever heard…The Xbox actually has higher graphical capability than the PS3, a simple read through of both spec sheets will tell you that. The cell processor is before it’s time and was extremely hard to develop for, and unless you are obsessed with crappy controls and second rate titles hyped up to be better than they actually are I don’t know why you wouldn’t get a 360. The PS3 is still a great value with the blu-ray, I’ll give you that…but PS3 caters to almost everyone EXCEPT just “gamers”.

2. Bordak says:

Superdynamite,

Your post shows a clear ignorance towards hardware, from both the last, and current generation. I cannot imagine where you found (made up?) your “facts” regarding the rendering power of the PS2 and the Xbox 360, but the source is obviously clueless. The aggressive style of your post suggests you have an emotional involvement in the console wars, which clouds your judgement and causes you to make posts like this, and as such makes you a undependable source of information.

PS: For arguements sake, the GPU on the Xbox 360 has a higher fillrate, and more pixel and vertex processing horsepower then the PS3.

• Anonymous says:

A fanboy of neither system they both have their pluses and minuses. Having owned a 360 before and now the owner of a PS3. The 360 is a much better gaming machine period. The visual quality of games is the best there is bar none and they have a vast library of games compared to the PS3. The PS3 gaming graphics are more like the original XBox by comparison. However the PS3 is a much better media server than the 360 by far and is a much higher quality build than the poorly built 360 with it’s RROD issues and poor wireless connectivity. I ‘ve gone through 3 360s in 2 years which is why I gave up on it finally. Too bad because I really enjoyed playing on it.

• HT Gearhead says:

3. KCLP says:

“the future of home entertainment starts very soon when Xbox 360 becomes the first and only console to offer instant-on 1080p streaming HD movies. With a library of thousands of TV shows and movies to choose from, Xbox 360 owners can instantly watch the movies they want, when they want, in the highest form of high definition.”

With the 60 Gb cap on most broadband services in Canada, good luck to MS on offering the video streaming service here. I would not want to use up my monthly quota on 3 movies.

4. Chris McKernan says:

Both have their strengths and weaknesses I have to say I prefer the 360, even tho I pay 60$ a year to play online and PS3 online features are free.

As has been said below, I’ve gone through 4 360s, The early models had serious heat issues and MS was making a profit off (at the time) replacing them with other refurbs (which eventually failed as well).
    I currently have 3 360s, one is a reflow repair, one a HDMI model and a backup (as it’s already been repaired for GPU issues) which I used while the other was sent to MS for repair.

I own a PS3 as well, but unfortunately it lacks previously played copies of games…so it gets less use.
    The games for the PS3 seem scratch proof, the used games I buy are always mirror clean – might be material related – 360 games look like someone was using them for shoes…lol

Either console is great…but everyone has their preference.