Comparing Shaw TV to Telus TV - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-01-04, 04:47 AM   #46
hdgeo

They're currently testing Telus TV in Kelowna. Should be available in a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-03-20, 05:12 PM   #47
Alan Bealby

When I returned to my apartment this morning I noticed two Telus trucks outside. When I went in to pick up my mail, I noticed a pile of fliers about the Telus TV setting on a table in the lobby.

As I have been unhappy about certain aspects of Shaw`s cable TV service, I thought I check into it some more. As I have a 63`HDTV I would not think of changing unless I could get an adequate HD service from Telus. A check on their web site confirmed that Telus TV service is available at the address of my Telus phone service but it was not clear whether HD was included so I telephoned Telus. I was told that Telus TV, including their HD service would be available to me.

I will have to look into it some to see what the prices and bundles look like relative to Shaw. One known big concern to me is the Telus PVR only has one tuner. I have gotten very used to the two tuner PVR from Shaw and would certainly miss it. The other thing I am not sure about is the restrictions on how many channels can be watched at once. I also do a bit of recording of SD channels to a HDD-DVD recorder if I might want to make a permanent recording and have a separate TV in my bedroom. I`m going to have to figure out what is possible or not possible in this regard.
Old 2009-03-21, 01:49 PM   #48
dbarron

A pox on both their houses. Just my opinion, but both are way too expensive for the benefit received. I refuse to pay for something that is crammed full of advertising.
Old 2009-04-21, 08:49 AM   #49
someguy45
Rookie

I was on starchoice and then I moved this past month and was lured in by the offer of signing up with Telus TV and made the switch.

Although the free PVR is a great offer, and I like the guide menu better on the Telus TV with the my fav lists etc...I think I'll be switching back to Starchoice.

The PQ with Telus is definitely sub par to what SC was. The SD is terrible and the HD is like a slightly better widescreen version of SD.

Also I found it pretty annoying that when I called to upgrade to HD I had to wait a day for the changes. As a result watched Canucks game 2 vs Blues in really bad SD quality. On top of that, they said my TV and internet service would have to be interrupted for 5min to 2hrs. Something happened and I ended up losing my internet and TV service for over 12 hours. Basically since I had the TV installed I spend a LOT of time on the phone with Telus getting technical stuff worked out...pretty irritating. Their service is very friendly though for whatever thats worth.

With Starchoice, I could call them anytime and any programming changes would be available immediately, with no interuption in service.

Starchoice PQ was actually better that what I've seen from Shaw also, especially the SD content. As far as Shaw vs Telus PQ, hard to say from what I've seen but Starchoice was definitely better than both in my experience.

And as of now for some reason I only have audio with the HD channels. SD channels are silent and I will end up having to call them again and eat up more cell phone minutes while on hold with them.

Just my $.02
Old 2009-04-21, 10:20 PM   #50
tablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy45 View Post
Also I found it pretty annoying that when I called to upgrade to HD I had to wait a day for the changes. As a result watched Canucks game 2 vs Blues in really bad SD quality. On top of that, they said my TV and internet service would have to be interrupted for 5min to 2hrs. Something happened and I ended up losing my internet and TV service for over 12 hours. Basically since I had the TV installed I spend a LOT of time on the phone with Telus getting technical stuff worked out...pretty irritating. Their service is very friendly though for whatever thats worth.
I think a lot of technical difficulties are probably because of the phone line thing... maybe not.
Old 2009-07-20, 10:39 PM   #51
Cre8ive65
Rookie

Default I hate shaw

firstly
you are allowed to have up to 4 boxes regardless of pvr or non pvr if you pay with out a contract both the standard and pvr boxes from telus are cheaper than shaw. telus satallite you can have 6 boxes. the telus pvr has dual tuning and telus month per month is chaeper. telus owns!!!
Old 2009-08-15, 04:37 PM   #52
Newb777

Default Considering switching to Telus (TV and home internet bundle)

I dont have the specifics at this point but Telus seems to be coming out with some aggressive promos on winning back their old customers and having them switch to Shaw. I'm not referring to Telus only buildings or where people may have Novus for their tv.

It seems that Shaw isn't interested in keeping their existing customers, based on my experience with their Customer Service cancellation department

My monthly cable bill including ShawTelephone Basic, Tier 1, 2, and 3, including basic HDTV and High Speed Internet is over $110/month which is too much, IMO.

Are there any thoughts on switching and leaving Shaw or advantages in staying with Shaw?
Old 2009-08-16, 08:47 AM   #53
hugh
Member #1

newb777, search on Telus in this forum. Lots of threads (including this one which I have merged with yours) which discuss already.
Old 2009-08-16, 10:24 AM   #54
Nanuuk
Veteran

I had the opportunity to see a TTV system last night (SD only). I have two observations. First the digital picture quality, for the most part, is of lesser quality than Shaw (certain stations such as Space notwithstanding) and two, there was significant delay when changing channels. Very much akin to the delay I experience when switching from an HD to an SD channel with Shaw. The home owner is not an HT enthusiast and was talked into the service by a smooth talking sales rep. promoting the cost advantage of bundling services. Her contract is up in a month or so and she is considering moving back to Shaw. Now it may very well be that her system is not optimized, e.g. composite connections, no HD service, no PVR, etc., but her dissatisfaction with the service is plain.
Old 2009-08-16, 01:00 PM   #55
Newb777

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
newb777, search on Telus in this forum. Lots of threads (including this one which I have merged with yours) which discuss already.
Hugh, unfortunately none of the threads (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/sear...archid=3921558) address my particlular questions, like current pricing and promo options and winning back Telus customers when comparing Shaw and Telus. Searching in a Telus ONLY forum tends to bring out bias. I'd rather have opinions from Shaw customers. Thank you.
Old 2009-08-16, 04:33 PM   #56
billhome

From personal experience, here is my take on Shaw vs Telus:

Internet: Not even close. Shaw is an order of magnitude faster and more reliable than Telus.

Land telephone: I have never had my Telus land line go out of service on me. I don't know how reliable Shaw's is. Shaw does offer an inexpensive long-distance plan, and you don't have to be a Shaw phone subscriber to use it.

Mobile: Not even close, because Shaw doesn't offer mobile phone service.

Television: Shaw's HD is IMO not HD - it looks no better than upscaled SD. I don't know what Telus is like.

Customer service: No comparison, Telus is dismal.
Old 2009-08-17, 02:13 AM   #57
Newb777

I can offer some criticism with Shaw and their telephone and tv service. Shaw home phone's CID is flaky. Some (local) numbers show up as being OUT OF AREA when they should not be. Never had a problem ever with Telus with CID. We had issues with the apartment intercom and our telephone. It required a few repeat visits to get it resolved.

Macroblocking was really really bad with Shaw as far as HDTV goes last year. It has improved signficantly over the last few months though.

Internet in the past was quite reliable with Telus and webpages always loaded much faster with Telus. Shaws network gets congested very quickly and speeds suffer. The network nodes needs to be segmented on a regular basis but never are. Telus is now advertising speeds matching Shaw and should be better then Shaw because it's not affected by the number of users. Telus has no monthly internet cap, AFAIK.

Shaw's PVR is always on and receives data continously and you can here it. As the hard drive is a mechanical device, I don't expect much reliability there.
Telus customer service is horrific. It always has been and it looks like it still is.
Old 2009-08-17, 04:34 PM   #58
peta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb777 View Post
Telus has no monthly internet cap, AFAIK.
Are you sure about this? On Telus website, there is some cap like 2GB for High Speed Lite, and 6GB for High Speed.
Old 2009-08-17, 07:21 PM   #59
Nanuuk
Veteran

Newb777, I haven't had any problems with my Shaw telephone except the call display from non local cell phones. Shaw HD has been stellar in terms of picture quality, less so with audio drops (minimal, but they've stopped in recent months). Their set top boxes can be hit and miss in terms of reliability until you get a good one. As a long time Telus customer (until about a year ago), I can attest that their internet is no match for Shaw's. Yes it was rock solid reliable, but it also experienced slow downs during congested periods and never, ever approached the advertised speed rate. Shaw routinely meets and exceeds their advertised rate. I've been told Shaw does clamp down when you exceed their download cap. When my son was at home (gaming, etc.), we exceeded the Telus cap, but they never made a big deal about it. Dealing with Shaw's customer service is a dream compared to Telus. In fact, I still have a Telus e-mail account for $5.20/month and I haven't closed it because I dread the experience of phoning these guys up. It's that painful. One other little tid-bit before I go. Any spam i get in my Shaw e-mail has been forward from my Telus account. I haven't had any spam sent directly to my Shaw account since I started the service.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:48 PM   #60
sud
Rookie

Hi friends,

I had a call from Telus TV, they gave me a package to which we agreed and there was a jo number allotted but then got call after 2 days saying that their sales person did mistake and the price should be additional 25$. What should I do? I have Shaw TV as of now.