Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-02-01, 09:44 AM   #106
99gecko
Veteran

If the data is different than PSIP then maybe CFTO is transmitting it? However, I'm really not sure that if CFTO was transmitting, that using a zip form GI would actually work. I just don't know enought about TVGOS to say.

If either of you have a rotor, perhaps try pointing your antenna away from downtown Toronto enough to lose CFTO. The question in Canada has always been who is going to carry guide data here.

Another possibilty is that the DVR is capable of using analog TVGOS if available? Just a thought...

BTW, the detailed post about this unit on the *other* site, does specifically state that all outputs are active. I hope that answers the other open question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-02-01, 12:01 PM   #107
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenstu View Post
It has analogue pass through - your TV could do the rest no??
No. It won't record from the TV's tuner and over 95% of the programming I want to record is only broadcast in analog here in Ottawa. I don't expect this to change until 2011.
Old 2009-02-01, 09:26 PM   #108
PierreP

Just back from the cottage where my DTV PAL is and I must report that I did not have any problem with the unit and that the Harmony remote worked properly, but since I put it in an the "activity" watch TV, once this activity is run, it does not give me the DVR button anymore! I will have to program the DVR button on a more accessible key.

I set some timers to record some shows, will see next week-end if it worked. I also did not get any reception for Tele-Quebec that just went on the air last Monday, hopefully they are not full power yet...

Pierre
Old 2009-02-02, 10:56 AM   #109
tenstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreP View Post
Just back from the cottage where my DTV PAL is and I must report that I did not have any problem with the unit and that the Harmony remote worked properly, but since I put it in an the "activity" watch TV, once this activity is run, it does not give me the DVR button anymore! I will have to program the DVR button on a more accessible key.

I set some timers to record some shows, will see next week-end if it worked. I also did not get any reception for Tele-Quebec that just went on the air last Monday, hopefully they are not full power yet...

Pierre
Pierre, I had to manually add the "DVR" menu item to the Activity via - Customize Buttons - Additional Buttons.

Works fine now.

Stu
Old 2009-02-02, 08:41 PM   #110
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Thumbs up Got my DTVPal DVR today

My DTVPal DVR arrived today (the day after the Super Bowl ). So far, I have a very favourable impression. Tuner strength looks better than the one on my Aquos (maybe 6th generation?). It also works over HDMI to my Aquos and over component video to my slingbox simultaneously like I has hoping it would. The VIP622 remote on the slingbox also controls the DTVPal DVR well.

More as I discover its features.
Old 2009-02-02, 08:45 PM   #111
tenstu

Congrats!

What software version did it arrive with?? TV Guide logo showing up for you (as it is for me) even though WIVB is not on board with TVGOS?

So many questions!

Stu
Old 2009-02-03, 11:29 AM   #112
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Stu, I have the same software version you do, and I'm not updating it either until I think the risk/reward in well in my favour.

I didn't have much to time to play with it last night, but I did have some struggle.

- First Global didn't add in the channel scan. I tried to add it manually but couldn't. So I re-ran the Setup Wizard and it worked fine (just settling in problems ).
- Second, I couldn't get it to provide DD5.1 - then I discovered it wasn't the DTVpal at all - it was the HDMI setting on my surround sound player.
- the DVR is sitting in a big open space in my TV stand and it's acting like an echo chamber for the hum of the hard drive. I've got to figure out some way to dampen it.

I haven't experimented at all with the TVGOS but I notice today I have the logo on the guide (it wasn't there last night ). I'm certain the data is from PSIP (or else Global is running a "DTV Program" marathon )
Old 2009-02-03, 06:52 PM   #113
tenstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
Stu, I have the same software version you do, and I'm not updating it either until I think the risk/reward in well in my favour.

I didn't have much to time to play with it last night, but I did have some struggle.

- First Global didn't add in the channel scan. I tried to add it manually but couldn't. So I re-ran the Setup Wizard and it worked fine (just settling in problems ).
- Second, I couldn't get it to provide DD5.1 - then I discovered it wasn't the DTVpal at all - it was the HDMI setting on my surround sound player.
- the DVR is sitting in a big open space in my TV stand and it's acting like an echo chamber for the hum of the hard drive. I've got to figure out some way to dampen it.

I haven't experimented at all with the TVGOS but I notice today I have the logo on the guide (it wasn't there last night ). I'm certain the data is from PSIP (or else Global is running a "DTV Program" marathon )
Glad to know you have the TV Guide logo as well. A real mystery. What ZIP did you use?

Mine is dead quiet though. I have read that some are noisier than others. This is likely the hard drive. If it ends up being a real issue, if it were me, I'd swap the drive out myself rather than go through the hassle of trying to RMA to Dish. (But being sure the drive was indeed the culprit!)

Glad there are a few of us here in the area to bounce observations off of...!
Old 2009-02-04, 12:30 AM   #114
El Gran Chico
Veteran

I used 14072 too. I dropped a big old bulky sweater into the cavern of my tv stand and it absorbed about 90% of the hum. My wife didn't say "what's that noise?" tonight so I'm considered it resolved. It was fine with the cabinet door open but it was't going to leave it like that all the time.

As for TVGOS, my wife asked me if it could record something on CBC on the weekend. I ran the search function and much to my surprise, it found it!
I could never go that far into the future with any of my Samsung boxes.

Now I find that the Omnis, CITY, Canwest are actually hurting themselves by putting junk program names into PSIP - this appears on the grid and I can't see what's upcoming ans worth recording.

The more I use this thing, the more I like it!
Old 2009-02-04, 09:19 AM   #115
Yagi

I had a similar vibration / noise issue with my Bell PVR. I resolved it by putting two mouse mats under it.
Old 2009-02-04, 09:41 PM   #116
Walter Dnes

Questions about manual over-ride on the TR-50 model...
  1. Can I manually set it up to record by channel and time, even if PSIP or TVGOS is available
  2. Can I force it to use its own internal clock to control recording, regardless of PSIP?
As you can tell, I don't trust some channels' implementation of PSIP.
Old 2009-02-05, 08:41 PM   #117
El Gran Chico
Veteran

With good reason Walter! That was one of my concerns too. As long some something is in the timeslot (eg "CityTV HD Event 1234"), you can record it. If there's nothing at all, I haven't found a way to do that yet, although you can hit "record" as you are watching it.

As for the clock, I don't think so but my clock has always been correct.

BTW, a certain OTA gear retailer in Michigan that ships to Canada now sells them!

Hey, not sure if this was mentioned earlier in this thread but it does NOT come with an HDMI or component video cables - make sure you have one of them if you order one.
Old 2009-02-05, 09:15 PM   #118
jurassicjockey

Thoughts so far

1) Had one problem with channel changing. Would take 10-15 seconds to change channels. Full power reset seems to have fixed it.

2) Uses time based recording. I really prefer event based recording. Does anybody know what Dish uses for their recording software.

3) No problem with reboots so far, running software 202

4) Some audio dropouts on CBC with a strong, steady signal. Seems to be intermittent.

5) Still haven't figured out the guide. I have guide info out 7 days, with the exception of CH and Sun.

Overall quite pleased with the receiver so far.
Old 2009-02-05, 09:23 PM   #119
jurassicjockey

Walter

To set a manual timer go Menu>DVR>Daily Schedule>Timers>Create>....
Not sure how you can force it into using an internal clock though. Nothing obvious that I could see.

Steve
Old 2009-02-05, 10:08 PM   #120
asteroids
Rookie

>BTW, a certain OTA gear retailer in Michigan that ships to Canada now sells

Who would that be?