Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 36 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-03, 04:31 PM   #526
interdit_450

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It goes to show the sad state of Channel Master's Canadian customer service when paying customers are actually considering hacking the device just to recover functionality. *sigh*

Maybe we can convince a computer science student to hack it as a university project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-07, 10:07 AM   #527
abnutcracker

Default CM7400 software fixes

the last software release Version 10.1.81.1 01/18/2012 did address some of the issues.

http://www.channelmastertv.com/kb_results.asp?ID=54
Old 2012-02-20, 05:59 PM   #528
theboyk

Couple questions.

What ZIP codes are people in Toronto using on their CM 7000 PALs?

I'm currently getting 20+ channels, but my guide data only shows 24 hours worth of programming for most channels. Only two channels (CBC and CBS) go beyond the current evening. Everything else says "no info available". Is this normal?

Thanks,
k.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:59 PM   #529
Steve Smart

theboyk

Most of us use 14201 or something close to that.

It sounds like you're not getting TVGOS, just the PSIP info. Can you see the TV Guide logo up in the right hand corner on the Guide screen? If not you haven't "acquired" the TVGOS signal. It may take a factory reset, because the 7000 stops looking if it can't find the signal after 3 or 4 days.
Old 2012-02-20, 07:00 PM   #530
Jase88

theboyk, to answer your questions, and to summarize what has been covered in this thread:

1) Most people in the GTA, including myself in Kitchener, use ZIP 14201.

2) The device captures electronic guide data via two methods: TVGOS (TV Guide on screen), and PSIP. The former is a host service carried on WNED in Buffalo, which provides about a week of data. PSIP generally only provides up to 12 hours, though some channels provide many days of data with PSIP.

"PSIP" (Program and System Information Protocol) is a data stream embedded into a station's signal. When you tune to that channel, the CM7000 receives the data just for that station. In order to keep it's EPG updated, the CM7000 will tune to each station (in the background--you don't see it do this) periodically to capture this data.

3) The only Canadian channel (to my knowledge) that receives EPG data via the Buffalo TVGOS host is CFTO Toronto.

4) CBC (English CBLT) Toronto sends out the most data on PSIP: Almost a week.

5) CHCH Hamilton and CBLFT Toronto don't send out any data whatsoever.

I hope this helps.
Old 2012-02-20, 07:27 PM   #531
theboyk

Yea, I think it's a lack of TVGOS. I used to see a lot more channel info, but over the last few weeks I noticed I wasn't seeing much. I also recall seeing the TV Guide logo in the background, and I don't see it anymore either. So, I should probably do a factory reset.
Thanks!
k.

Last edited by theboyk; 2012-02-20 at 08:04 PM.
Old 2012-02-20, 07:29 PM   #532
theboyk

Also, do I have to be receiving WNED to have TVGOS working? The reason I ask is because I deleted the SD feed and only kept the HD feed and perhaps I need the SD feed working to get TVGOS to work?
Old 2012-02-20, 08:03 PM   #533
theboyk

OK, did a factory reset and went through the Wizard setup. Once completed, it went to the "downloading guide" screen, took about two minutes for the progress bar to complete, and then I'm "set up. But, still not getting the TV Guide logo or any TVGOS data?

Any suggestions?
Old 2012-02-21, 09:55 AM   #534
brownriggd

Default CMPAL 7000 - Jerky recordings..

Have noticed a jerkiness, hitching type delay in some of my recordings. Recordings on my other PVR (Shaw Direct) do not exhibit this problem. This is not due to signal dropouts as noted in a previous post. Its a consistent hiccup in the picture throughout a recording. Is this an issue with CM PVRs?

Last edited by brownriggd; 2012-02-21 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added more information/clarification
Old 2012-02-21, 12:52 PM   #535
Jase88

theboyk, do you have the "TVGuide/TVGuide+" feature enabled? If so, this will prevent TVGOS and guide data from working on the CM7000. Disable this feature if enabled.

Make sure you device can receive WNED 17.1 (RF 43) from Buffalo, and is using the ZIP code provided above.
Old 2012-02-21, 12:55 PM   #536
Jase88

brownriggd, this will occur when the device has experienced signal issues (dropouts, excessive errors, etc) during recording. When you attempt to playback, the device reads these errors, and presents unstable playback (hiccups).

The fix: Hit pause, then play.
Old 2012-02-21, 01:03 PM   #537
theboyk

Jase88: The "TVGuide/TVGuide+" feature is not enabled, I'm receiving a very strong WNED 17.1 signal and I've been using the ZIP suggested (it's actually what I've always been using for my ZIP).

After some further research, it looks like the "downloading guide" screen is downloading info for PSIP, not TVGOS and that TVGOS data is updated automatically at set times throughout the day. So, I wonder if that, after my factory reset, I wasn't seeing TVGOS data because it hadn't been updated yet? Does anyone know what time the TVGOS data gets updated throughout the day? I didn't check this morning to see if it had been updated, so I'll check when I get home this evening.

That said, if all else fails, is there another way, other than in the Menu, to reset the device to factory? Since the recordings aren't erased when I do I reset via the menu-based reset, maybe there's a hardware based reset that'll actually start over again from scratch?

Thanks,
k.
Old 2012-02-21, 01:08 PM   #538
Jase88

My recollection is that it downloaded TVGOS data right away for me when I first installed and completed the channel scan. I could be wrong...and you could be right: The data may only be sent at specific intervals. I suppose you'll know later when you check it!
Old 2012-02-21, 01:42 PM   #539
Steve Smart

theboyk

It can take a day or two after a reset for the TV Guide logo to appear. I've had it show up almost immediately, and at other times had it not appear until the next day.

Do NOT turn on the TVGuide/TVGuide+ feature. That is for sending the TV Guide data "out the back" of the CM7000 to another attached device that also has TVGOS. It will disable all normal DVR functions of the CM7000, including the guide.

As long as you still have 17.1 or 17.3 turned on, I believe you're good to go. If you delete all three PBS channels you'll lose TVGOS on the CM7000.

A factory reset from the menu is all you need to do to get the CM7000 to start looking for the TVGOS signal again. Can't remember off hand, but the data arrives in several half-hour chunks throughout the day. Just be patient.

Good luck.
Old 2012-02-21, 01:57 PM   #540
theboyk

Thanks Steve.

I did the reset last night around 8PM, so I'll check it when I get home tonight around 7 — that'll be almost 24 hours, so hopefully I'll see some results!

Thanks again!
k.